Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CG02+ Firmware updates and considerations

Reaction score
This discussion is about the firmware update of a CG02+ camera.
Initially this cam was equipped with EU firmware, then i install 2.08.01 US version first, followed by 2.08.00 US.
This to see which were the changes on the power or something else...
I've measured the signal strenght using a field meter, which gives also frequency, channel, and speed. Camera was about 100 mtrs far from meter.
Below i summarize results:

2.08.01 EU Version firmware
1) Frequency is 5240 Mhz
2) Channel is #48
3) Speed is 6 Mbps
4) Signal strenght 48%

2.08.01 US Version Firmware
1) Frequency is 5180 Mhz
2) Channel is #36
3) Speed is 6 Mbps
4) Signal strenght 50%

2.08.00 US Version Firmware
1) Frequency is 5745 Mhz
2) Channel is #149
3) Speed is 6 Mbps
4) Signal strenght 50%

What i understand form above values, the only thing that changes in the different firmwares is the channel (and obivously frequency) but not the output power as somebody supposed in other discussions (2% less in EU FW is a small amount and does not make the difference).
The channel frequency can be helpful to choose the most suitable in the area to avoid interferences, or to center the signal in relation of the antenna in use on the receiver (e.g. i'm using a 5,8 GHz external antenna on the ST10+)
So i left on the camera the 2.08.00 US version FW.
Now weather is very bad here in my area, with strong winds... as soon as possible i'll leave some informations about range and signal quality while in flight.
I observed also that wifi connection to st10+ is faster with US fw than with EU one, i would say almost immediate after led on the camera becames green. Before, with EU FW it takes more than 2 minutes to connect.
I wish to thanks @WTFDproject for his help and @Yuneec Skins for providing the FW from his downloads page.

Reactions: 7cyclops
What i understand form above values, the only thing that changes in the different firmwares is the channel (and obivously frequency) but not the output power as somebody supposed in other discussions (2% less in EU FW is a small amount and does not make the difference).
The signal strength decreases exponentially, which means that the 2% at 100m are more than you would expect if you go further away. Furthermore such a reading is not reliable at all since the percentage is a relative value without a real calibration function or anything like that. I found found out, that the CGO3+ has a reduced (EU) power output of only 25mW while the US-Version has up to 700mW. As long as you are in a close area you won't notice any difference but at several hundred meters the difference will be huge. I think it should be similar with the CGO2+.

Thanks for your answer.
As I told, I'll check advantages (or not) in the next flight.
I'm owner also of Typhoon H (EU), the difference from Cg02+ and Cg03+ is huge in terms of distance and streaming quality.
With the Chroma I loose the video at a distance around 250 mtrs, sometimes less, with the H never lost the video also at much longer distance.

Back for an update: today I did few flights and I had the same problem of loosing wifi connection also with the US firmware, and the distance achieved was more or less the same.
I can say that in Europe US fw doesn't give any improvement.
After many trials, I found that the size of SD card affects wifi transmission: i was using a 16 Gb class 1 U10 card, in doubt it was damaged I replace it with another one, same characteristics, and same behavior.
I saw that onto the CG02+, near the card slot, it's written "4Gb card required".
I install a card of that size and.... miracle!
No more problem of signal lost and also videos are not splitted anymore like it was before. I flew at 400ft of altitude and more than 1000 ft of distance maintaining full control of the camera and video lag very very small.
Could it be a limit of the hardware into managing memory card?

Reactions: Yuneec Skins

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval