Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO-ET test.

Reaction score
Just a quick test at night showing a little of the capabilities of the CGO-ET low light Thermal imaging camera.

This was done on the Yuneec Typhoon H480.

It was in pitch darkness. No stars. The additional light source is an iPhoneX that I'm holding and the screen if the ST16.

I am playing with the colour palette settings and also the temperature range settings to get the variations in the image on the right.

This video came recorded straight out of the CGO-ET camera.

I then imported it into the iPad using the USB3 Adapter and a micro SD card reader with the apple power charging cable attached. It imports straight into the Photos app.

I then used LumaFusion to edit the video.

The recordings on the CGO-ET are a dual channel MP4. One channel ID the 1080P low light image (the one in the left above) the second is the 160x120 thermal image (as shown to the right above)

By placing the video into the time line and then duplicating it to the secondary track the programme was able to jump between the two tracks. No LumaFusion does not currently say that they support this type of file but are working on it since I have given them a sample and they how that it will be added in a future update.

Once I had the two tracks overlaying each other I then simply offset the top track .8 to the right and if the images where around the wrong way I had to invert their location on the timeline.

A bug does occur in the fact that if you exit the programme then reenter it, it can sometimes lose the differences in the channels. Meaning it can revert to both being the 1080p or both the thermal. In this instance I made sure the primary channel was correct as the 1080p image and then duplicated the secondary track again to create a third track that had the same offset. By the third time it was usually the thermal channel. I then deleted the second channel and dropped the third track down to two.

It all sounds a bit technical. But once you have done it a couple of times it was quite quick.

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome of the test.

The best part was from 0:36-0:45 where I modified the temperature range down to a value where it disabled the trees and grass as to cold and only kept me visible. (I was around the 40m mark away)

This is a view which would be good for SAR (Search and Rescue)

Thanks for watching please subscribe for more videos.

Haydn

@Haydn ,
You are the man, that is exactly the type of test I wanted to see.
I would be interested in seeing the same set up but shot in the day time. I too am thinking about SAR work, and want to know if the CGO-ET could detect a human in the trees about the distances you were testing there.
Great work, Thank You

Reactions: Haydn
Can you explain how you turned the temp down at the :35 mark?
Sure.
You can test this yourself I think.
On your ST16 change the camera from CGO3+ To CGO-ET. Then click on the cog icon and play around. There are a lot of auto settings but one of them was to set the minimum and maximum temperature range shown across the screen.
In this case being at night and me being there hottest thing out there (At least for the first time in my life :p) I set the lowest value to approx 14' and the highest to 28'.
This meant ask there trees were lower then the low setting Black and then me being at the high end of the heat range was the white.
There are 4 colour profiles and each one has its pros and cons. That particular profile worked the best.

Other than not seeing the images change you should be able to play with the settings and get an idea of possibilities.

LOL,
One problem, I do not have a CGO-ET. I have been holding off because I just have not seen much imaging from one.
Yours is the first test I have seen that really shows the possibilities of thee camera. I am not looking for identification of who, but that there is a heat target for the ground crews to investigate.

LOL,
One problem, I do not have a CGO-ET. I have been holding off because I just have not seen much imaging from one.
Yours is the first test I have seen that really shows the possibilities of thee camera. I am not looking for identification of who, but that there is a heat target for the ground crews to investigate.
I mean in the ST16 you can play with settings while you have your CGO3+ connected.
Just change the camera type to CGO-ET.

### edit ### ok so I tried it and it doesn't work. Sorry.
Never mind.. move on nothing to see here :p

Last edited:
Can the CGOET detect animals? I live near a Forrest and wanted to look at animals.

Can the CGOET detect animals? I live near a Forrest and wanted to look at animals.
Would depend on size.
Elephant. No problem :p
Deer yes.
Bear yes
Fox maybe
Rabbit no.
Obviously the closer you get the better chance.
Also you have to be able to dial in the heat range for that sized animal.... But also if in a forest and the syringe are very similar in temperature then it will be closer to I'm impossible.
In winter I guess it would be easier.
But summer is impossible.

Thanks for the tip. If I find a elephant in Fl I have really big problems. I have so many animals the wander through my yard.

I've spotted deer with mine in 45 degree weather.
Unfortunately, they're one of the best insulated animals and show little to no contrast unless they're moving. People have poor insulation, no fur, skin is hot in contrast to surrounding area.
Hope this helps explain it's application.

I've spotted deer with mine in 45 degree weather.
Unfortunately, they're one of the best insulated animals and show little to no contrast unless they're moving. People have poor insulation, no fur, skin is hot in contrast to surrounding area.
Hope this helps explain it's application.
45 Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my