Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The CGO-ET records the video from both cameras to a single file which contains two video tracks. I cannot find a way to extract the tracks to make two files to import into the editor. The editor, PowerDirector 16 only plays and sees the 1080p camera track.

Update.........I found the solution. Look at post #11 below.

Last edited:
iPad pro
LumaFusion

Thanks @Haydn. That is one of the videos that convinced me this would be a good camera for SAR. I looked at LumaFusion previously, but was unable to find a Windows compatible version.

I've been in discussion with LumaFusion and they are going to add a proper workflow in The 1.5 update. They are on 1.4.8 now.
So I guess you need to upload a sample to the various developers so they can add the ability to split.
It is certainly Yuneec in what they have done, I had never seen dual videos in the one file before. But maybe it is like camera view A camers view B.

Ok so I just checked in the Mac.
VLC plays both videos in two separate windows. And you can dirty if see under Video/Video Track that there are two listed as well as disabled.

My Hack work around would be to screen capture record the video add it is playing.
On a Mac you just use QuickTimePlayer/File/New Screen Recording.

On a PC there will be others.

In VLC since there are two videos playing at the same time you could use a two monitor setup and have one video on one screen and the other on the other.
Remember however the thermal is only 160x120.
So when you edit it you have to enlarge the thermal set it to 50% opacity and move it around on the screen to get it to overlay correctly.

Hope something in that helps you get your desired outcome....... Which you hadn't really told us what it is you are wanting to achieve.

Hope something in that helps you get your desired outcome.
Yes, VLC plays both videos in two different windows. And I did use the screen capture for the IR and then imported it into PD16. It's just a huge pain and time consuming. It would be so much easier if you could simply split or extract the file for the IR.

I would think that someone doing building heat loss inspections (or solar panels) would need to do this same thing for their client. From your comments it sounds like this dual track recording method was developed without thinking about the users need to edit.

Since I'm a complete novice at this, I am clueless on whom I would need to upload a file. Thank you for your insight.

We will find out in the next week how there H520 CGO-ET handles the files however it sounds like they may record the two files separately.
Personally. Use a HDMI recorder and save the screen image to it.
It will give you the blended view.

We will find out in the next week how there H520 CGO-ET handles the files however it sounds like they may record the two files separately.
Personally. Use a HDMI recorder and save the screen image to it.
It will give you the blended view.
True and I have the equipment to do so. It's just a PIA. Since VLC is open source I may see if someone can come up with a solution. I surely can't be the only one looking for an expedient solution. Thanks Haydn.

Reactions: Haydn
Now it's 3am here. And my phone vibe S every time you respond.... So quit it will you. :p

@Steve Carr

I would like to be able to use the video from the cgo-et as well. You seem to be much more knowledgeable than I am. I have VLC and can see it that way, but can not import it into Shotcut. I use Shotcut because it is a program I learned to use. I bought Video Editor X10 and tried my best to figure it out without much luck. There was someone on here called Tuna that had a way to edit it, but I haven't seen anything of him lately.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Lets give him a shout out......... @Tuna do you know of a Windows solution for extracting the -ET video tracks from the file?

GREAT NEWS.................
I got an answer from the VLC player forum with links to the tool needed for extraction. Tried it and it worked perfectly.
Here is the link to the tool download: MKVToolNix Downloads – Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

1) drag n drop your video file into mkvtoolnix -
2) uncheck the first video track
3) Press the 'Start multiplexing' button
4) Open the MKV file located in the destination folder. The MKV file contains the IR video track + audio.

MKV_Tool.jpg

Last edited:
From other threads (older) it indicates the IR file is a poor low resolution. That was before any firmware improvements or software that may of developed. I was very interested in the CGO-ET camera, but then questioned it’s value after various threads indicated the lack of capturing the IR footage or if captured resulting file was basically useless.

Have I missed threads indicating otherwise?
Is the ET a useable diagnostic grade for structure examinations, searching, etc. Has there been software focused on the ET IR footage after MKV separates?

Along that same subject, any updates on 2nd Gen for the H or 520? Are the interchangeable like the E50 & E90?

iPad pro with LumaFusion.
Works great. Easy work flow.
You can blend the different overlay at what ever opacity you want.
Very useable.
But. With the current CGO-ET it only works on the H480 an updated version had now been released (I don't think they have headed a number to it but I hope there is some way of telling them apart) it will only work on the H520.
The new super thermal camera to be released next year. (Hopefully shown off at CES) will only work with the H520. And no doubt will get an E prefix. Something like E640T to show that it is an E new version of the cameras, 640 for the resolution, and T for thermal camera.

The temperature range is between -10' and 180' Celsius so it had a good range.
The best results are of course when there is a large difference in ambient and target temperatures.
So if you are looking for people in snow.
Great.
If you are looking for a person in the desert bad.
Ground water in desert good.
Hot days but people on the shade of the trees bad.
You get the idea.

Is the ET a useable diagnostic grade for structure examinations, searching, etc.
The IR footage by itself would not be extremely useful because of the lack of detail in the images. However, when combined with the 1080p video it is easy to understand and see the temp differences and the location of interest.

The IR footage by itself would not be extremely useful because of the lack of detail in the images. However, when combined with the 1080p video it is easy to understand and see the temp differences and the location of interest.
Agree totally.
This is why having the overlay in a mixed mode video file is actually a good thing.
Unlike the option above in LumaFusion you do not have to align the two separate video tracks.
They are already aligned correctly.
It is possible to do it manually but a bit fiddly.
Remember that the IR track is 160x120(4:3)
While the 1080p track is 1920x1080 (16:9)
So there is parts our to the side that aren't IR modified.

Anyway some one could provide a small sample to examine of the 2 tracks together.
I'm uploading a 1 minute clip.
I'll post the drop box link shortly

Haydn, thanks for the clip. What mode was the IR in, it didn’t have the expected thermo look, and person in video didn’t appear as different heat zones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval