Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3 Gimbal Problem

Reaction score
I'll try to be thorough, but not ramble. Crashed the Q into a tree and it fell about 15 feet onto soft grass. No damage to the hull, just broken props, and the camera pulled loose from the shock mount. Below are the symptoms/characteristics I have now.
1. Hot shoe wires were pulled loose. I removed the remains and connected the braided cable. I did pull the cover off the board on top of the gimbal assembly and check for wires touching/solder traces that were loose, etc. Reasembled and hung the camera back on the Q.
2. Wifi works and I can see video from the camera.
3. Gimbal and the tilt function are not working. Same result on the bird or the handheld.
4. Have tried binding with no different results.
5. I can't see any lights from the gimbal (other than the status light on the camera)
6. I have a second Q500 (Q2) and have the same results when the Q1 camera is paired with that bird. And, the CGO3 from Q2 works properly when paired with Q1. In other words, the problem follows the broken camera.

This leads me to believe I have a problem in the camera/gimbal, but don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the gimbal stabilize?
Are there any beeping sounds coming from the camera?
The gimbal never attempts to move or make a sound that I can tell. I can move it freely by hand, not like when it's working.

For one reason or other the "gimbal" part of the gimbal board appears to have no power.
You mentioned checking for shorts or traces, I assume you found none?
You said it makes no attempt to move, and is easily moved by hand, so I assume it does not stabilize?
Since there are no lights on the board, and no beeps, it means that section of the board is without power.
It would be almost a miracle if the board is recoverable.
However, one small possibility is a failed mosfet. The mosfet, for sake of this discussion, serves as something of a power distribution center. Unfortunately, they are so easy to blow they also make pretty good unintentional fuses.
If you have a way to check voltages, you can use the pictures and chart in the linked document below to CAREFULLY identify a problem with the mosfet. ANY contact between almost any contacts will blow the mosfet if it is not already blown.
The mosfets cannot be changed with the soldering tools most folks might have around the house. If you don't do a lot of micro soldering, it would be best to get help, perhaps from a local electronics repair shop.

Please see the Attachments 5 and 6 in the Document attached to this thread:
"Way To Fix Drones project"

Last edited:
Reactions: 7cyclops
Thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens. If it is blown, is the part available and if so where would I look for that? Thanks.

They're standard electronics items, and are normally available on sites like eBay and Amazon. Usually from China. Whether they say so or not.
The offerings vary in the amount of ID included, but a typical search term would be:
"TPS5450"

I believe they are DDAR SOP-8, but not sure. Get the ones with a ground plate on the bottom. The originals are TI (Texas Instruments).

Also, I need to point out input voltages vary a lot, depending on which type battery (Q500 vrs Steadygrip), and the amount of charge. The voltages on these drawings should be considered "ballpark" values.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval