Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ Stock Camera Mod

+1, but if the landscape has no obvious POI, sometimes a 360 is all you can do!:)

The non stop pan usually carried out too fast is the worst test you can do on any camera as every frame is different - the Tv/monitor screen cannot refresh quick enough for the pictures to look decent. A professional rule has always been that a pan speed should be half of what you think looks alright.

Thanks for the tip. Is max pan speed also dependent on fps?
And how long might a 360 pan take?

Thanks for the tip. Is max pan speed also dependent on fps?
And how long might a 360 pan take?

In real life - on TV you would not watch a shot that goes on so long. Paint drying would seem more interesting. You want to pan from something to something with a purpose not an aimless wander. Look at how long the average shots are in a TV doc.

I see what you mean. I'll have to think about local subjects that are likely to maintain interest (and meet CAA requirements). Maybe some autumn colour or stormy sea. Thanks for your help.

After reading this blog, and checking out both the Peau Productions, & Carolina Dronz websites, I'm considering the idea of not only swapping the lens on my current CGO3+, but also the idea of purchasing a second CGO3+ and having that lens swapped. This way, I'd have two CGO3+ cameras...one with the 3.97mm lens (almost equivalent to the stock lens' focal length & field of view), and one with the 8.25mm lens (41 degree field of view). It might be considered by some to be an expensive way to go, but, considering the CGO3+ doesn't have interchangeable lenses, this could be considered the next best possibility.

Since I already have a SteadyGrip, how I thinking about this is to purchase a SteadyCam (ie. SteadyGrip with CGO3+ included). Then, I'd be able to simultaneously do aerial & ground-based footage...or, if I so chose, two ground-based cameras, with different focal lengths. "Changing lenses" on the Typhoon H would be as simple as swapping CGO3+ cameras/gimbals. If Peau Productions ever came out with an ultra-wide angle lens for the Typhoon H (say, something similar to their 1.21mm f/2.0 220d HFOV 16MP lens), which would be fantastic for straight-down shots, then that could potentially be considered a good reason to purchase a third CGO3+. Not saying I'd do that, as the final cost would be getting up there...but it would be worth considering.

Instead of SteadyCam/Grip, I'm going with the new Sony X3000 action camera for handheld 4k shots. Check it out. Optical image stabilization at 4k and time lapse photography appeal to me.

Well I will keep you abreast to my encounter with if it will help you. Once it's on my H creating similar quality to the frames I posted, I'll sign off on a reccomendation but it appears Bo agrees at this point.

I may not want to fiddle with my stock lens. It seems pretty decent to me. Check out this picture of trees and Mt. Rainier at 400 ft. elev. and give me your opinion.

Attachments

• Mt Rainier.jpg
    Mt Rainier.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
I may not want to fiddle with my stock lens. It seems pretty decent to me. Check out this picture of trees and Mt. Rainier at 400 ft. elev. and give me your opinion.
Yeah, that looks great. If mine looks like that, I wouldn't touch it. My other one doesn't. I have yet to see what the other looks like but it seems like there is a consistency issue on their glass.

I hope mine looks that crisp, and I'll do the blurring if I want it. I do like the idea of having the 8.25 kind of now.

Yeah, that pic looks to be in good deep focus. Nice!

Pixaero lens,

First test not good as the mount was slightly out of alignment as I had unfortunately left a bit of glue on the board that had skewed the mount, causing onside to be focused ok the other blurred (even though I had checked focus pics, to much cider). So if anyone else does the mount change you need to really make sure it is all off. So another dismantle to sort things out. All done now and a quick video out the back window as a test as it has close foreground through to distant objects and Highlights and shadow. Will post a more interesting subject when I get chance. Looks OK to me

First impressions... modified lens 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV from Peau including lens holder.
Color profile: Natural
White balance: Sunset
ISO:800 / Shutter speed: 1/30 - 25fps

More coming soon, I appreciate your comments.

Last edited:
Pixaero lens,

First test not good as the mount was slightly out of alignment as I had unfortunately left a bit of glue on the board that had skewed the mount, causing onside to be focused ok the other blurred (even though I had checked focus pics, to much cider). So if anyone else does the mount change you need to really make sure it is all off. So another dismantle to sort things out. All done now and a quick video out the back window as a test as it has close foreground through to distant objects and Highlights and shadow. Will post a more interesting subject when I get chance. Looks OK to me

nice ,my one ordered will ship on monday :) correct title Pisaero to Pixaero :)

Pixaero lens,

Yes there is a slight Soft edge on top left but heck its way better overall focus then Stock lens
edge.jpg

Another vid pixaero lens, think if still needs a slight tweek on focus as a bit soft in the middle. Very hard to get the focus spot on only take a 0.5mm twist to get it accurate. (sorry about the dog, but you always need a cute pup somewhere in a video ;-) )

https://youtu.be/STd0y01ZWgk

Another vid pixaero lens, think if still needs a slight tweek on focus as a bit soft in the middle. Very hard to get the focus spot on only take a 0.5mm twist to get it accurate. (sorry about the dog, but you always need a cute pup somewhere in a video ;-) )

https://youtu.be/STd0y01ZWgk

The way i focus my peau lens is Center to outside. This creates the best sharp Image but the downside is a slight soft side edge. There is no lens that is 100% sharp it always depends on each user. BTW the lens middle is way out of focus

The way i focus my peau lens is Center to outside. This creates the best sharp Image but the downside is a slight soft side edge. There is no lens that is 100% sharp it always depends on each user. BTW the lens middle is way out of focus
Have you tried the 8.25 lens yet? Trying to decide between that and the 3.97

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Thanks agree, will have a refocus session, it's a pain having to keep taking the card out then check, back in again, not sure if you can pull the image direct from the usb lead attached to the camera with the H powered up.

Thanks agree, will have a refocus session, it's a pain having to keep taking the card out then check, back in again, not sure if you can pull the image direct from the usb lead attached to the camera with the H powered up.
You can connect to the CGO3+ via Wi-Fi and download to a device to view

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

here bad_lens (NEW one) without posibility to refocus
20160830_180659_large.jpg
20160901_204432_large.jpg

here old lens refocus friendly :)

goodlens.jpg

Reactions: Jussaguy
Skip all of that pain and just get an inspire with an X5 or X5r. with the X5 you get a superior camera with higher bitrates and a bigger sensor that uses decent interchangeable lenses that actually have an aperture and you can focus inflight. The H is NOT a production machine no matter what all the fanboys say and Yuneec claims
Either is the X5 unless you have the X5R. I feel like I've said this about 1000 times but unless you are using it for weddings and real estate, there is not a broadcast or film company in the universe that will accept as a deliverable a master h.264. That is a preview deliverable so every single machine that outputs that as a master (even if you blow it up to ProRes or DNxHD) is not, pretty much by definition, a broadcast machine. The X5 while having superior quality, is still not "a production machine" as you put it. It's fine for grabbing an exposition shot or something but if you want a long, real shot for something other than tracking or something, you need at least ProRes or DNxHD. If it's encoded, it better be lossless and preferable uncompressed like the X5R. The X5, the X3, give me either of those cameras (and I have both) and I can make the footage look just as good on either.

X5R would look a little better but more importantly would give you a professional deliverable. I will never understand the people that are talking production when it comes to the sub $3000 cameras/UASs. If you want production, Matrice 600 and Tornados of the world. The H, Phantom, Inspire (without the X5R) is not a production machine. Period. It's a very good prosumer machine. And the camera part isn't the "very good" part either.

I am looking at the same setup. I have alrady ordered a CGO3+ with the 8.25 fitted and if I am hapy with that will buy the 3.97mm lens for my original camera or if something in the rabge of 5mm comes out by then I would consider that.
I ordered early September and was a surprised to be told it would be October befire despatch as I did not see that note on the ordering page that I was later directed to. Still, October is nearly here though it could be a long month ;)

Agreed. I might just opt for the 3.97. I have been sort of back and forth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio