Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging ST16

Reaction score
WHY OH WHY does this take so long to charge! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!

If you have a lipo charger you can pull the battery out and charge it directly, or do like me and velcro a USB power pack on the back and keep it on charge all the time when you are using it.

If you have a lipo charger you can pull the battery out and charge it directly, or do like me and velcro a USB power pack on the back and keep it on charge all the time when you are using it.
Good idea. Gotta pic? Trying not to get too bulky.

Best Buy has a ton of house brand ones in most stores at very reasonable prices and I've had very good luck with them. Most everybody in the US has a BB somewhere close by. That's why I brought it up.

Good idea. I hadn't even thought about that application.

It would work a little better if the usb port was not on the bottom, you will find that the cable sticks into you....maybe in time it's a future mod to relocate it to a side or the top.

It would work a little better if the usb port was not on the bottom, you will find that the cable sticks into you....maybe in time it's a future mod to relocate it to a side or the top.

If people keep adding external antennas, batteries and amps to this thing, you're going to need a truck to haul it around and a turret to mount it on anyway so what difference does it make! :D

I see this has been discussed a bit already but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I noticed that the ST16 battery is a 3.6v 8700mAh 1S battery. The USB on the Yuneec H charger only outputs 2A. All USB ports on PCs and Macs deliver fewer amps than that unless the USB is designed for charging. While the battery in the ST16 doesn’t seem to last that long, it also seems to take forever to charge. I see the battery has an EC connector but its smaller that an EC5, maybe an EC3? Either way, I don’t have a pigtail at the moment for my smart charger. So why does the ST16 take so long to charge? Well, for one it only charges at 2A, that’s only 0.23C. No wonder it takes so long, using the Typhoon H charger will take 4:40Hrs. I got to thinking about my iPad. The USB charge brick for my iPad outputs 12w, still less than 0.5C but it charges the ST16 a lot faster. Basically you need the following to charge the ST16 –

Charge Rate
1.0C 8.70A 37w 1:00Hr
0.8C 7.00A 29w 1:20Hrs
0.5C 4.35A 18w 2:00Hrs

Bottom line, if you can’t charge the ST16 battery with a smart Lipo charger try the power brick from your tablet, either iPad or Android,

Greg

Update: I found this one on Amazon which is close to 0.5C and is only $9.99 usd.
ARCHEER 17W 3.4A Dual USB Port Wall Charger Adapter for Smartphones and Tablets, Black, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/ARCHEER-Char...d=1476629002&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+charge+brick

Last edited:

You can probably find a right-angle adapter.

Reactions: banned user
I see this has been discussed a bit already but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I noticed that the ST16 battery is a 3.6v 8700mAh 1S battery. The USB on the Yuneec H charger only outputs 2A. All USB ports on PCs and Macs deliver fewer amps than that unless the USB is designed for charging. While the battery in the ST16 doesn’t seem to last that long, it also seems to take forever to charge. I see the battery has an EC connector but its smaller that an EC5, maybe an EC3? Either way, I don’t have a pigtail at the moment for my smart charger. So why does the ST16 take so long to charge? Well, for one it only charges at 2A, that’s only 0.23C. No wonder it takes so long, using the Typhoon H charger will take 4:40Hrs. I got to thinking about my iPad. The USB charge brick for my iPad outputs 12w, still less than 0.5C but it charges the ST16 a lot faster. Basically you need the following to charge the ST16 –

Charge Rate

Bottom line, if you can’t charge the ST16 battery with a smart Lipo charger try a power brick for your tablet, either iPad or Android,

Greg

Yep that's what I use -- works great

Attachments

• IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 54
Ya'll need to read the label on the battery. It is not a lipo but a li-on. The best charge rate for a li-on is 0.7C for full capacity. They do accept higher charge rates but do so at the expense of capacity. Li-on's have a charge limiting chip on them.

All that aside, if you have a tablet the odds are your tablet charger will handle the -16 and get the job done faster. It's how I've been charging my ST-10 and ST-16 from the beginning. Mine is for a Fire tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charge Rate

Bottom line, if you can’t charge the ST16 battery with a smart Lipo charger try the power brick from your tablet, either iPad or Android,

Greg

Update: I found this one on Amazon which is close to 0.5C and is only $9.99 usd.
ARCHEER 17W 3.4A Dual USB Port Wall Charger Adapter for Smartphones and Tablets, Black, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/ARCHEER-Char...d=1476629002&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+charge+brick

It's an EC-2 and I bought an extra ST-16 battery and an EC-2 to T connector to connect to my charge board where I can charge at 1C. So I go out into the field with one battery in the ST16, one spare ST16 with the EC-2 connector to connect to a charger if I need to recharge in the field.

Reactions: Robert Brooks

Charge Rate

Greg

That's what I use to charge my ST16, my Samsung tablet charger, holy crap I just thought about those Samsung phones exploding, maybe I shouldn't use my Samsung charging cable ... too late ... I've already used it several times. Works great and seems to not take as long to charge.

Ya'll need to read the label on the battery. It is not a lipo but a li-on. The best charge rate for a li-on is 0.7C for full capacity. They do accept higher charge rates but do so at the expense of capacity. Li-on's have a charge limiting chip on them.

All that aside, if you have a tablet the odds are your tablet charger will handle the -16 and get the job done faster. It's how I've been charging my ST-10 and ST-16 from the beginning. Mine is for a Fire tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PatR, I thought they were essentially the same chemistry since they both use an electrolyte vs a true Lipo which has no electrolyte? Aren't they both technically LI-Ion? I know in RC circles they call them Lipo's but they really aren't. Also aren't all LI-Ion/Lipos covered under the IEC 62133 which requires by law some for of charge protection circuit?

I guess if we stick to the USB charger brick method there should be no issue since they all seem to charge at a rate of less than 0.5C. Guess I'll skip the smart charger route. It will still charge faster than the H charger.

Personally I won't charge higher than 1C for the very reason you describe, the expense of capacity and reduced charge/discharge cycles. Actually 0.8C is the maximum industry recommendation so I don't go beyond that. 0.5C is fine with me. 2Hrs vs 1.3 or 1 Hr isn't enough of a savings for me to risk diminishing a batteries cycles or risk a fire.

Greg

i dont know what´s going on with my ST16 battery. Apparently can´t charge it any more.....i guess

- Was using the ST16 for checking Typhoon battery level using the on-screen indicator.
- The battery level of the ST16 was low when doing the TH batteries check (10 % aprox)
-then the ST16 low battery indicator appears on the display.
-at 3% of the ST16 battery level i´ve decided to turn off and put to charge it via TH stock charger
-then, conected and apparently charging the ST16 i´ve touched de screen to see the level/charging icon.......AND I HAVE THE BATTERY ICON WITH LEVEL RED, THIN, AT THE VERY LEFT, PLUS RED GROWING TO DE RIGHT......!!!AND A YELLOW TRIANGULAR ROAD TYPE SIGNAL WITH AN EXCLAMATION SIMBOL INSIDE THE BATTERY ICON!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

You have let the ST16 battery go very low! The H charger USB socket should bring it back up but it will take all day. My ST16 went down to 20% or so when I used with the simulator and gave out all the warnings when I charged it - it is now ok.

JCF, tks for your reply !!!....you are right, passing more than 1 1/2 hours and now i have yellow bars charging moving icon when touching ST16 screen. Normal charging. Moraleja: do not go so down with the ST16 battery level.....maybe 15-20% the lower to think

Cheers!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval