Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging typhoon batteries with Thunder Power lipo charger

Reaction score
My charger tells me to charge 4S 14.8V batteries 3.8A and discharge 0.5A. Can I go higher with charge or it is OK?

4S determines the cell count setting, which is pretty darn important to get correct. The amp hour rating of the battery, for example a Yuneec Typhoon H battery is labelled 5400mA, or 5.4 amps, can be charge safely at 1X the amp hour rating, or 5.4 amps. 1X the amp hour rating is defined as 1C in lipo charger speak. The 3.8A figure you mentioned would be great for a 3800mA battery.

You can also safely discharge at 1C but never discharge to less than 3.5V/cell unless you plan on discarding the battery afterwards. Your Thunder Power charger should have discharge selections for both Discharge and Storage. Use the Storage setting and it should automatically terminate the discharge process and balance the cells at around 3.7V/cell. Much safer for you that way. Using the Storage setting will also probably cause the charger to self adjust the discharge rate, even had you selected a 5.4A, 1C rate. In all probability the charger will use a constantly reducing rate as the battery discharges.

H Plus batteries have a somewhat higher voltage rating and to be correctly charged use different charger settings for the chemistry type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barton

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67