Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Chinese stealing data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just read a story which claims DHS is fear mongering about Chinese drone manufacturers stealing date. CNN mentions DJI and suggests it is the drone company DHS suspects. Now, I'm thinking this is total B.S. and CNN only took info from some anonymous source. How would the Chinese or anybody else get to DJI or Yuneec drone data without acquiring/intercepting signals between drones and controllers? Aren't these drones using WiFi for both drone and image control? If it's possible to listen in on drone communications, where would it happen, on a router, cellular app? Here's the CNN story:

You really trust the Chinese???
Have you heard of embedded firmware, you know you also use GPS.
2017 news, where have you been????

Thanks for the info. So it's the app connected to the Internet where the leak can take place, right? No, I don't trust the Chinese and the "Americans" even less :)

• Wow
Reactions: John Hennessy
Thanks for the info. So it's the app connected to the Internet where the leak can take place, right? No, I don't trust the Chinese and the "Americans" even less :)
America is the greatest country ever, if not, why are people flooding over here in records.
And where are you from?

My wife and I bought a Tesla Model X. When she read and became aware that Tesla is capturing data, and knowing everyone we call and everywhere we drive. She became frantic, so I told her research deeper, read the privacy policy, sign off from Facebook, do not use a smartphone, and let's live off the grid. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister

Tesla got it so personable, they even know when you hands are on the steering wheel or not.

My wife and I bought a Tesla Model X. When she read and became aware that Tesla is capturing data, and knowing everyone we call and everywhere we drive. She became frantic, so I told her research deeper, read the privacy policy, sign off from Facebook, do not use a smartphone, and let's live off the grid. LOL.

Sorta my style now. I figure I could live without power pretty easily if it weren't required to fuel my internet addiction. We all got a weak link somewhere ya know.

I worked as a bail bondsman for a spell and did a small bit of fugitive recovery. Here's the thing, even as a private company the tracking info our office staff had available blew my mind. There's a reason Securus (google them) was named along with ATT, Sprint, Verizon in the class action lawsuit over location tracking.

Personal monetizable information is the gold rush of our age. It'd be foolish not to simply assume anything you put into a cellular system or internet isn't being monetized or used in some way.

Just my 0.02 on the subject

Sorta my style now. I figure I could live without power pretty easily if it weren't required to fuel my internet addiction. We all got a weak link somewhere ya know.

I worked as a bail bondsman for a spell and did a small bit of fugitive recovery. Here's the thing, even as a private company the tracking info our office staff had available blew my mind. There's a reason Securus (google them) was named along with ATT, Sprint, Verizon in the class action lawsuit over location tracking.

Personal monetizable information is the gold rush of our age. It'd be foolish not to simply assume anything you put into a cellular system or internet isn't being monetized or used in some way.

Even here on these forums.

[emoji23] Man!! I was also into fugitive recover, prisoner transport, and a license bondsman, alongside with my uncle and cousins, who established a business in the big island of Hawaii. I’ve gotten somewhat good in skip tracing, and it is so easy to find someone’s information, but, I only lasted for a year, chasing skips wasn’t my thing, specially trying to locate tweakers. [emoji23]

Twice a year, I spend my time off the grid in Hawaii, with my son. He doesn’t enjoy it, but he will soon find tranquility and beauty living off the grid. My wife on the other hand, usually stays at home or in a hotel.

America is the greatest country ever, if not, why are people flooding over here in records.
And where are you from?

Me, I was born in Houston TX almost 75 years ago, when there were Colored and White signs for segregation. I spent a year in Viet Nam but not before being refused a haircut just off the military base. Nowhere is perfect, and everywhere has rich people even in Haiti and places where raw sewage runs through streets. I've been in Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, France, Portugal, The Bahamas, St. Martin, Mexico, Burkina Faso, and Jamaica but still don't view "America" as the greatest country on the planet. Maybe your idea of have greatness is limited to economic and military might.

Now that I've told you where I'm from, I would like know where have you been?

I'm guessing we should allow our conversations to remain on drone issues, without patriotic(nationalistic) spin.

Reactions: RPR
[emoji23] Man!! I was also into fugitive recover, prisoner transport, and a license bondsman, alongside with my uncle and cousins, who established a business in the big island of Hawaii. I’ve gotten somewhat good in skip tracing, and it is so easy to find someone’s information, but, I only lasted for a year, chasing skips wasn’t my thing, specially trying to locate tweakers. [emoji23]

Twice a year, I spend my time off the grid in Hawaii, with my son. He doesn’t enjoy it, but he will soon find tranquility and beauty living off the grid. My wife on the other hand, usually stays at home or in a hotel.

Tweakers just made me sad. I quit when it started to feel like loan sharking with consent of the courts. Nothing against folks who feed their family in the biz, some are good folks with big hearts. But in the end, it wasn't the right gig for me.

Hawaii off grid is a little different than mainland off grid. Got a sister who lives on Kauai and there's no crowds to crush her if there's ever a shtf moment. The guys over here make me chuckle though. They act as though they're all safe tucked away. LOL...? One thing I know is if there's a shtf moment all those cities will empty out and I'll have a whole pile of instant new neighbors.? The other thing I know is if somebody really wants to find me they can do it pretty darn quick no matter what I do, so why fool yourself?

If you're gonna go for it do it because it's simpler, and for some, more satisfying. Not because it's somehow safer or can save you from information seeking overload, because it isn't and can't.

Reactions: RPR
Me, I was born in Houston TX almost 75 years ago, when there were Colored and White signs for segregation. I spent a year in Viet Nam but not before being refused a haircut just off the military base. Nowhere is perfect, and everywhere has rich people even in Haiti and places where raw sewage runs through streets. I've been in Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, France, Portugal, The Bahamas, St. Martin, Mexico, Burkina Faso, and Jamaica but still don't view "America" as the greatest country on the planet. Maybe your idea of have greatness is limited to economic and military might.

I'm guessing we should allow our conversations to remain on drone issues, without patriotic(nationalistic) spin.

Respect [emoji1421] amen. And thank you for your service, sir.

Tweakers just made me sad. I quit when it started to feel like loan sharking with consent of the courts. Nothing against folks who feed their family in the biz, some are good folks with big hearts. But in the end, it wasn't the right gig for me.

Hawaii off grid is a little different than mainland off grid. Got a sister who lives on Kauai and there's no crowds to crush her if there's ever a shtf moment. The guys over here make me chuckle though. They act as though they're all safe tucked away. LOL...[emoji23] One thing I know is if there's a shtf moment all those cities will empty out and I'll have a whole pile of instant new neighbors.[emoji54] The other thing I know is if somebody really wants to find me they can do it pretty darn quick no matter what I do, so why fool yourself?

Here in the mainland, I really like getting lost in the woods and the lakes of Oregon, and Minnesota.

Back in the island, I am trying to hang on to past memories. Twice a year, at the valley of the kings, we monitor the corals, and fisheries. And it saddens me to say that our future looks dim. The corals are dead, and only a few turtles, and sharks returns to the island. We are starting to see snow in the lower valley, and the waves are getting stronger, with each passing year.

Respect [emoji1421] amen. And thank you for your service, sir.

My fellow American, the years I spent in the USA Army were because of the draft. The recruitment officer told me I would get a better chance to choose my job by signing up for an extra year. My time in Viet Nam was not in a combat unit but on a big support base. It was a war I did not support, and to this day feel was immoral. So, please don't thank me for time spent in military service. There are other veterans such as myself who also don't feel honored, deserving of special treatment or signs of recognition for time spent. At the same time, there are a "zillion" other veterans who do:)

My fellow American, the years I spent in the USA Army were because of the draft. The recruitment officer told me I would get a better chance to choose my job by signing up for an extra year. My time in Viet Nam was not in a combat unit but on a big support base. It was a war I did not support, and to this day feel was immoral. So, please don't thank me for time spent in military service. There are other veterans such as myself who also don't feel honored, deserving of special treatment or signs of recognition for time spent. At the same time, there are a "zillion" other veterans who do:)

We do what is best for our country. You did your service, my father, mother and uncles before me served in Vietnam, and they are proud. I too am a vet. In fact I am a wounded veteran, we don’t look at the past situation wither good or bad, we stood and stand proud during and after our watch, regardless of the outcome. Oorah!

My father was in the military 20 years, ASA.

So with him being in the military I have six years living over seas, and German Relatives.
I also spent time in the military AH-1G Crew Chief. 70's Then 2 years National Guard, Parachute Rigger C130
Then to College
Oversea: Mainly in Germany. I've spent time on cruise ships as it looks like you have, Bahamas, Belize, Cozumel.
I'm a Viet Nam Veteran myself, but it was winding down then so I wasn't deployed. Thank you for your service.
I am extremely proud to be an American, do I like everything that's happening? No!
My idea of greatness: God, Family, Work (owning my own businesses) and My Country!

Last edited:
Yuneec does't get any data from the drone, H/H+ even does not connect with internet, then you can't use the map and some related functions(waypoint).

You really trust the Chinese???
Have you heard of embedded firmware, you know you also use GPS.
2017 news, where have you been????

Reminds me of closing the door on the barn after the horse has already got out . DJI says they don't receive any data from their drones , could be true but didn't say it didn't go straight to Chinese Gov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval