Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration

Reaction score
After calibrating compass on 2 H's I need to recycle H to reconnect with S-16.
Anyone else have this happen?
Tim

Just being causes my first H died after a few short flights. Bring this one on line slowly
Thanks
Tim

It is also beneficial to remove your Camera before calibrating the Compass. That way you don't risk damaging the Gimbal.

That's what I do and it makes calibrating easier.

I would think that if its hard on the gimbal, Yuneec would say something about it and they wouldn't have the videos showing the calibration with the gimbal installed.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the gimbal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, Yuneec does not always tell you everything! I'm just saying it is easier to rotate and calibrate the compass without the Gimbal and Camera attached. With the camera and gimbal being flipped around and you only have 30 seconds to get it done, removing the gimbal and camera makes it easy. Plus, I don't think the stress on the gimbal flipping around is a good idea! And you don't have to calibrate the compass every time you fly. I know some people that do that.

Unfortunately, Yuneec does not always tell you everything! I'm just saying it is easier to rotate and calibrate the compass without the Gimbal and Camera attached. With the camera and gimbal being flipped around and you only have 30 seconds to get it done, removing the gimbal and camera makes it easy. Plus, I don't think the stress on the gimbal flipping around is a good idea! And you don't have to calibrate the compass every time you fly. I know some people that do that.

Why would it be "easier to rotate and calibrate the compass without the Gimbal and Camera attached" ????????

I calibrate the compass every time; better safe than sorry.

Try it sometime. The Gimbal and Camera come off very easily.

When twisting the machine thru the calibration process, you are putting stress on the Gimbal that it would not happen under a normal load. Since you have to do the calibration quite quickly to keep within the 30 second time frame, this works well for me.

I calibrate my compass if I travel more than 40 miles from my home site. Most of my flying is done right at home. No need to calibrate everytime!

It is also beneficial to remove your Camera before calibrating the Compass. That way you don't risk damaging the Gimbal.

That's what I do and it makes calibrating easier.
It's not a good idea to calibrate your compass without the gimbal, you should calibrate it exactly as it will fly, if you wanted to be even more pedantic about it, you should calibrate it with the memory card in the camera.
Any new ferro metallic part's that you add to the H after the calibration i.e. anything which is magnetically attractive in the camera will skew the compass values. How much depends on how close to the compass and how much ferro metallic parts you add.

Reactions: abinder
It's not a good idea to calibrate your compass without the gimbal, you should calibrate it exactly as it will fly, if you wanted to be even more pedantic about it, you should calibrate it with the memory card in the camera.
Any new ferro metallic part's that you add to the H after the calibration i.e. anything which is magnetically attractive in the camera will skew the compass values. How much depends on how close to the compass and how much ferro metallic parts you add.

The small amount of metal that is in the Gimbal and Camera is insignificant when it comes to the compass. And besides, here is what YUNEEC just sent me:

Update for Case 8530 - "Compass Calibration without Gimbal"

Hello Jeff,

Yes, it is fine to remove the gimbal and camera to calibrate the compass on the Typhoon H.

Glad I could help!

Regards,

Brandon Shelton

Customer Care | Yuneec USA Inc.

5555 Ontario Mills Parkway

Ontario, CA 91764

T: 909-259-5113

www.yuneec.com

interesting,
The small amount of metal that is in the Gimbal and Camera is insignificant when it comes to the compass. And besides, here is what YUNEEC just sent me:

Yes, it is fine to remove the gimbal and camera to calibrate the compass on the Typhoon H.

Glad I could help!

I would not have thought that the amount of ferro magnetic metal in the gimbal motors is by any means insignificant, however your email goes to show that the documented calibration procedure can be broken....edit - although I would not advise it

Last edited:
Try it sometime. The Gimbal and Camera come off very easily.

When twisting the machine thru the calibration process, you are putting stress on the Gimbal that it would not happen under a normal load. Since you have to do the calibration quite quickly to keep within the 30 second time frame, this works well for me.

I calibrate my compass if I travel more than 40 miles from my home site. Most of my flying is done right at home. No need to calibrate everytime!

I've been thinking about the "keep within the 30 second time frame".
Where does it say you have only 30 seconds to calibrate the compass of the Typhoon H ?
Only place I saw anything about only having 30 seconds to calibrate is the video for the calibration of the wizard.

I've been thinking about the "keep within the 30 second time frame".
Where does it say you have only 30 seconds to calibrate the compass of the Typhoon H ?
Only place I saw anything about only having 30 seconds to calibrate is the video for the calibration of the wizard.

Seems I read that someplace, however, I took the time to calculate the time you have to calibrate the Compass. I used my stop watch on my phone and as it turns out you actually have up to 55 seconds to complete the calibration. You can test it yourself, just sit the H on a level surface, use the stop watch on your phone (if it has one), activate the compass calibration and begin timing. You don't have to move the aircraft, nothing will change in the aircraft, but the calibration process will end in about 55 seconds. In which case you will have to start over.

Now, as to my earlier comments on removing the Gimbal and Camera from the aircraft. As the email from Yuneec states, it is OK to remove the Gimbal from the aircraft to calibrate. I have taken a compass and measured the amount of magnetic interference from the TINY motors on the Gimbal. While there is some magnetic interference around the Gimbal Motors, it is very small and since the Compass is located in the Typhoon H body itself, the magnetic interference produced by these Tiny Motors could not reach the Internal compass to do any harm. I'm sure Yuneec considered this. Using my compass and placing it in close proximity to the gimbal motors. Moving the compass just a half an inch from the Gimbal motors and the Ferris magnets stop emitting any negotiable interference. Thus, Yuneec stating it is OK to remove the Gimbal from the aircraft support my theory.

My idea is concerning compass calibration and the safety of the Gimbal and Camera. As you go thru the calibration process the Gimbal and Camera gets flopped around allot, trying to always right itself. I cannot believe that this doesn't do harm to the Gimbal and Camera, especially those who have to calibrate the compass every time they fly. These items (Gimbal and Camera) are not cheap items to replace.

Since it doesn't cause any harm to the calibration process, I prefer to simply remove the Gimbal and then calibrate the compass.

Are you sure it just doesn't 'time out' if it doesn't sense any movement of the Typhoon H ? Next time I'm out, I'll try to remember and extra slow doing the compass calibration.
(It's very possible the 55 seconds you saw is just a 55 second time out if no movement is sensed.)

I never disputed your claim about removing the gimbal and Yuneec support saying it was okay.
(I don't think anyone said that Yuneec didn't say that to you.)

I don't know why you're bringing it up again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval