Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

COMPASS MODULE BOARD Hexacopter Typhoon H

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the Typoon H's GPS compass module gets damaged frequently? Is it easy to repair this module?

Tks

Does anyone know why the Typoon H's GPS compass module gets damaged frequently? Is it easy to repair this module?

Tks
I am not sure why you think this component gets damaged easily. It would help us understand if you explain why you believe this to be true.

Tks

I think what you are reffering to, is the fact that the compass has to be calibrated from time to time. That is a usual practice since the earths magnetic field is not always the same. Espacially when you change location by more than 50km the difference can be enough to be noticable.

The callibration is a little bit tricky and does not always work out so good. For some people it causes quiet a lot of trouble but I think this related to user-error in the most cases. Also many fly aways are not related to an actual defect but to a poorly calibrated compass.

Nevertheless replacing the compass is very simple. Espacially when you swap out the entire top it is done within 5 minutes.

I understand the calibration processes very well, in fact before each flight I do the respective calibration, and it is happening to me that when I take off the drone and have it at a test height of one meter, which is my habit before I get up This message appears: "Compass warning Please Land in angle mode immediately, then do compass calibration". And my only solution has been to replace the GPS compass module. So I ask if the module can be repaired in any way?.

Compass warning
Please Land in angle mode
immediately, then do compass calibration

I just found this video, I think it may be possible that the battery runs out of charge and needs to be replaced, will this be the request? I'm going to do the battery test and change it if it happens

The reference of the battery of the GPS compass module is MS621FE and it is a rechargeable battery, I will look to see if the battery is discharged due to the little use it has and for that reason the error that I see in the ST6

The battery being low on charge will lengthen the time it takes to get a good GPS fix, but will not affect the compass.

You say you have the aircraft at about 1 meter altitude when getting this. Most of us launch to about 4 to 5 meters to test steadiness and control functionality. This gets us out of ground effect from the prop wash and away from possible ground magnetic effects. Try this and see if your experience changes.

Reactions: 7cyclops
The reference of the battery of the GPS compass module is MS621FE and it is a rechargeable battery, I will look to see if the battery is discharged due to the little use it has and for that reason the error that I see in the ST6

The charging time of the battery is extremely long. A long power on time without motors armed will help get the battery back.

It has already happened to me that the drone is many and a few meters high and suddenly the drone signal is lost. I look and there is no data on the ST16, the drone gets a little out of control and then starts the process of returning home and from one moment to the next the data appears on the ST16 again, and I can already have control of the drone again

Just a few simple thoughts. Are you in angle mode. How many satellites does drone and transmitter have. I let mine sit the other day for 1/2 hour and all was well,so it could record satellite position. GPS and compas issues went away for me when I do this frequently. Also use the simple external GPS mount. Keith C.

1. Do the compass calibration ONCE in an open grassy area with no buildings, concrete of steel nearby. Don't calibrate it again unless there is a very good reason to do so. Do not calibrate before each flight. That is not a good practice.
2. Wait until you have 15 satellites before takeoff.
3. Stand 10 m from the H before starting the motors.
4. The stick antennas should be pointed up.

It has already happened to me that the drone is many and a few meters high and suddenly the drone signal is lost. I look and there is no data on the ST16, the drone gets a little out of control and then starts the process of returning home and from one moment to the next the data appears on the ST16 again, and I can already have control of the drone again
Hi Jemonis,
Are you calibrating the H correctly, NO PHONE OR CONTROLLER within 20 Feet, Face the front of the H to the north. It is all in the MEMBERS MANUAL. Are you starting out in the open space or on a concrete driveway etc, etc? Are your antennas put in the correct position, mushroom or Patch wifi antenna, are the 2.4 GHz antennas at 45 degrees to the horizontal and pointing straight up on the st16. Have you acquired the correct amount of satellites? BUT MOST OF ALL HAVE YOU READ THE MANUAL FROM THE FRONT OF THIS FORUM.
We are all trying to help you but I find it hard when you keep saying that it is the MODULe and its battery, I have 4 of these and I don't calibrate them every time I fly unless I have moved more than 50 KLMs to the EAST OR WEST of my last calibration as this is the most significant and crucial movement. When you have a problem you must give us more information, where you fly from ( paddock, not the driveway, are there steel buildings in the area high voltage power lines etc, etc ) Ther are lots of members here with years of experience flying these amazing machines and with huge amounts of KNOWLEDGE to SHARE. So a full description helps and gets you up and flying much sooner. I hope you get this sorted and have fun flying and safe flying these FANTASTIC MACHINES.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the GREEN side of the GRASS.

4. The stick antennas should be pointed up.

Very important and often misunderstood. These rod antennas have the best range if the sides are facing the drone. If you point them directly to the drone the range can be reduced by as much as 70%. Thats due to the fact that the radiation pattern looks similar to a huge doughnut placed arround the antenna. That might explain you connection losses.

I agree to the others that the problems are very unlikely to be caused by the GPS-module. If you had a crash in the past you might also want to check you antennas for any damage.

Hi Jemonis,
Are you calibrating the H correctly, NO PHONE OR CONTROLLER within 20 Feet, Face the front of the H to the north. It is all in the MEMBERS MANUAL. Are you starting out in the open space or on a concrete driveway etc, etc? Are your antennas put in the correct position, mushroom or Patch wifi antenna, are the 2.4 GHz antennas at 45 degrees to the horizontal and pointing straight up on the st16. Have you acquired the correct amount of satellites? BUT MOST OF ALL HAVE YOU READ THE MANUAL FROM THE FRONT OF THIS FORUM.
We are all trying to help you but I find it hard when you keep saying that it is the MODULe and its battery, I have 4 of these and I don't calibrate them every time I fly unless I have moved more than 50 KLMs to the EAST OR WEST of my last calibration as this is the most significant and crucial movement. When you have a problem you must give us more information, where you fly from ( paddock, not the driveway, are there steel buildings in the area high voltage power lines etc, etc ) Ther are lots of members here with years of experience flying these amazing machines and with huge amounts of KNOWLEDGE to SHARE. So a full description helps and gets you up and flying much sooner. I hope you get this sorted and have fun flying and safe flying these FANTASTIC MACHINES.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the GREEN side of the GRASS.

The last flight that I did with that drone was in open terrain in the middle of nowhere, about 150Km from where I live, I had that drone stored for 3 months without flying it, I did the usual process, I have no cecular near him, I do the GPS calibration, there were no light lines, I took off well and from one moment to the next he lost the signal with the radio and came out on the screen GPS lost!, after this COMPASS WARNING appeared (Please land in angle mode immediatly then do compass calibration), then the signal returned and I was able to land the drone, today I am going to do the test with the drone since I well checked the battery of the GPS module and it already has more than 3 vts

Just a note for informational purposes.
When you put the top shell back on the aircraft, make sure the wire bundle going to the GPS module is twisted. A twisted wire bundle helps reduce RF interference with the GPS/compass module.

It would help if you upload the flight log folder here as a zipped file. That would give us much more information to see what is happening with the aircraft.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Quite handy to redo the tape around the module too, it usually gets damaged.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-215940~2.png
    Screenshot_20200503-215940~2.png
    623.6 KB · Views: 13
Jemonis,
What ever you do dont use the copper shielding tape as that will block the GPS signals, use heat resistant KAPTON that is on the module.

Quite handy to redo the tape around the module too, it usually gets damaged.
Mrgs1,
You can not use the copper shielding tape around the module where the heat resistant Kapton tape is, as it will do what is says, SHIELD it from signals.
The copper shielding is between the main electronics and the module and the Kapton heat tape goes around the module for that purpose of heat build-up.
It would become evident on startup, as you would not achieve GPS Fix. Johnno Hennessy.

Mrgs1,
You can not use the copper shielding tape around the module where the heat resistant Kapton tape is, as it will do what is says, SHIELD it from signals.
The copper shielding is between the main electronics and the module and the Kapton heat tape goes around the module for that purpose of heat build-up.
It would become evident on startup, as you would not achieve GPS Fix. Johnno Hennessy.
  • I'm talking about not over the module just the shell area if it tears. I've repaired torn ones with no problems.
  • GPS loss question
  • Perhaps I should of added Polymide tape too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200504-104836~2.png
    Screenshot_20200504-104836~2.png
    580 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
  • I'm talking about not over the module just the shell area if it tears. I've repaired torn ones with no problems.
  • GPS loss question
  • Perhaps I should of added Polymide tape too.
Hi Mgrs1,
Yes, a lot of people could wrap the whole module with it and think that they were doing the correct thing. I use two layers of .58 mm copper shim material on the bottoms of the base on my GPS TOWER MOD for extra shielding as well as the one in the shell. I have never had any problems in nearly 3 years of flying with the mod. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep Flying on the GREEN SIDE of the GRASS.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig