Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crashed my drone

I have not felt this bad about doing something stupid since college.

Fault happen, who cares. No one is dead ... I think.
But now you know better, how easy it is to destroy your toy.

Really stupid is to ride an expsenive motorbike like a racer and crash ... do not ask why ... :rolleyes:

for all new flyers . #1 read the manual then read the manual again . #2 go to an open area ( the best area with grass for soft landings ) . #3 start flying in safe mode , fly it in the turtle setting , fly low about 20 to 30 feet and 50 feet out just hover , learn to read the ST10 telemetry screen . after you learn the basic flight steps you can go to angle mode .

the one thing i can say is take your time , look around make sure you know where you are flying and is there any one around you be aware of your surrounding's . keep your Q in line of site .
crawl before you run .
fly safe

Reactions: GlennK
I agree with TPAM that angle is better as safe can be disorienting if you are trying to fly for the time. Especially if you are flying through the camera lenses instead of LoS.

I think safe mode is a great tool but you won't learn basics of flight control and recovery control if you start in SM. I think the best use for SM and a new pilot is to get used to flight control in general. Yaw, pitch and climb. Get used to the flight behavior and speed. A ceiling of 20 to 30 feet is good while learning too. Keep it in turtle...

I do think yuneec is easier to LEARN basics of flight control compared to other makers... Just my opinion though.

If only I found this site before I started flying drones a few months ago, I would be quite a few bucks richer... Lol...

Reactions: GlennK
Today it was me :( ~3 meters

real tree, fake drone
w6g7rxvg.jpg

6b45jlfg.jpg

l8taqlzy.jpg
I did the same thing with a lot more damage and Yuneec fixed for 117 dollars. I had broken blades, a cracked frame arm and a damaged gimbal housing. The guys are super cool and be begun based in California is a huge plus because they actually call you and go over the damages. Send it to Yuneec especially if it's new.

Send it to Yuneec especially if it's new.

Thanks, but I've already ordered all my needed new parts.
My copter I had repaird to fly for fireworks by myself.
Super glue made a good job ... I think it is repaired good
enough to wait for the next crash to use the new parts.
Flown this nigth without any problems. Used new props.

But I will fix the problem with the gimbal bumpers.
Can not understand, why there is no preventing
loosen the gimbal from the top by a crash.

Sure it has to swing free, but not for free fall :eek:

I've ordered thin nylon screws to prevent this loosen.
Other ppls use nylon fishing line oder cable ties.

I will see ...

I did the same thing with a lot more damage and Yuneec fixed for 117 dollars. I had broken blades, a cracked frame arm and a damaged gimbal housing. The guys are super cool and be begun based in California is a huge plus because they actually call you and go over the damages. Send it to Yuneec especially if it's new.
I'm going through that process now hopefully it goes as smooth with me.

i would disagree, I think the first flight should be in angle mode on turtle.

hi
no offense but for a beginner to just fly a quade and try to navigate and not crash flying in angle mode , wow you are asking alot , the Q is not a $59.99 toy , look at how many people with experience crash into trees , walls and the ground , why do you think they have save mode ? . it's for beginners . like I said no offense
fly safe

Last edited:
That doesn't seem to be a very large space to practice in. If you're in trees, get up high above them. "Drone Awareness" (control according to the drone position, not your relative position to it) is always most important. I found it best to practice a lot in "Angle" mode. starting out in anything else, confuses you once you switch to pilot.
I took my Grand-daughter out Saturday, she's 10, and under strong objection of my wife not wanting to see our investment (I use it for my business, inspections) crash and burn, I did it anyway. Started out so basic as spending 30 minutes with her on instructions of how to use the sticks, FAA rules along with basic safety rules, what to expect out of the UAS, and how it would respond. I did a quick 5 minute demo for her, and then landed. To her credit, she paid attention to every word I said. I started her in turtle mode, and in "Angle" mode, and with the drone facing away from her, so the controls were relative. She took off on her own, and I instructed her on the function of the sticks with her controlling them (forward, right, left, back, yaw left, yaw right). Then the most important thing to learn early on - "DRONE AWARENESS". I had her get high enough (30 ft. or so), and then yaw all the way around, facing us. She understood then, that forward stick was back, right was left, and so on. When the battery died, she landed, and learned how to turn the video off, drone off, and change the battery. She took off again, and I put her in full rabbit mode, and she flew that bird like a pro through two more batteries, on up to 203 ft. above ground level, panned the entire area, etc. before her fingers got so cold she wanted to stop. Of course, being the proud grandpa, everyone that I e-mailed after that got the subject line "If a 10 year old can do it.....". It was a most perfect day.
Oh yea, when we got home, she told my wife "Grandma, I've got good news, and I've got bad news - the good news is, I got 5 ft. in the air with grandpa's drone; the bad news is, grandpa needs a new drone". After my wife's terrified expression, my grand-daughter couldn't keep from laughing. I think I'll have to take her out on my inspections as my PIC (Pilot In Control).

o_O paragraphs please. Gave me a headache trying to sift thru that mess.

Last edited:
hi
no offense but for a beginner to just fly a quade and try to navigate and not crash flying in angle mode , wow you are asking alot , the Q is not a $59.99 toy , look at how many people with experience crash into trees , walls and the ground , why do you think they have save mode ? . it's for beginners . like I said no offense
fly safe

In germany, when you learn to drive a car to get a driving license and do this only with an automatic transmission you are not allowed to drive a car with manual transmission.
If you learn with manual transmission you are allowed to drive both gear models.

So, is it really smart to learn the easy way with automatic transmission ?

I think, when you begin to learn how to fly, you should do this not on a helping way.
Everything what is helping makes people stupid.
How stupid they are they realize when the helping is missing then.

Everywhere you can find traffic signals to help people to know what they have
to do. If this signals are without function the people do not know what they have to do.
Perhaps ... using their horns ... or going in an accident.

The turtle mode is helping enough.
The angle mode itself is helping so much.
Try to disable GPS and you see how less you are able to fly, cause you did not
learned it. But, here you do not have to think by an other way, how to fly.

When you have learned to fly in smart mode and then you switch over to
angle mode, thinking you can fly you will see, this will not help to prevent
a crash. To be safe, hold distance and fly slow.

Reactions: SixTwoPinoy
Do you think safe mode will help you when your near a tree?

as i said , "for all new flyers" , #2 "go to an open area " ( the best area with grass for soft landings ) . this is for new bees , but if you want to fly close to trees you better know what you are doing .
like i said i'm not trying to offend anyone .
fly safe .

yea thats what i thought I dont know why its charging me 40 dollars on their site. Oh quick note i just saw it on Amazon and they sell the yuneec typhoon g and you can add warranty that covers drops and spills for about $60 dollars.

If you read the fine print, the amazon camera warranty that they offer you does not cover drones. It pops up automatically because they put camera drones in the camera section. (I bought mine from amazon and was surprised when it offered the warranty, almost click on yes until I read through the entire thing.)

Posts like this scare me. I have been deciding between DJI Phantom Pro and Q5004K. I purchased a Syma X5 last year and a Syma X8 this year. I believe I have decent experience under my belt, but even today in a high wind flight, I got disoriented and ended up too close to some trees. I was forced to bring the X8 down in a semi-controlled fall from about 30 feet altitude. Even with a spectacular crash these Syma copters very rarely have any real damage and parts are cheap and can be replaced easily. Salesman at the Hobby shop says these new GPS quads are difficult to crash but posts like this say otherwise.

All I can say is take a close look at DJI reviews, most especially ones that incur customer service. Not a pretty sight.

All I can say is take a close look at DJI reviews, most especially ones that incur customer service. Not a pretty sight.
The many reports of poor customer service from DJI is what initially made me consider Yuneec. Every single professional I've asked for their opinion on which drone to get tells me that Yuneec makes a great Quad but they personally use DJI. Also for those flying truly by FPV (not sight), they seem to be better served with the DJI lightbridge transmission than the Yuneec Wifi. I am still leaning toward Yuneec since I like to be able to fix my own and DJI requires sending back copter where parts seem to be more available for Yuneec. I am very interested in waypoints, so now the introduction of the Typhoon H adds yet another option to consider before I take the plunge. Hopefully Yuneec doesn't abandon the Q500 platform and make some of the new goodies on the "H" available to owners of the Q500 via Firmware updates. Time will tell.

Posts like this scare me. I have been deciding between DJI Phantom Pro and Q5004K. I purchased a Syma X5 last year and a Syma X8 this year. I believe I have decent experience under my belt, but even today in a high wind flight, I got disoriented and ended up too close to some trees. I was forced to bring the X8 down in a semi-controlled fall from about 30 feet altitude. Even with a spectacular crash these Syma copters very rarely have any real damage and parts are cheap and can be replaced easily. Salesman at the Hobby shop says these new GPS quads are difficult to crash but posts like this say otherwise.
Just make sure your clear before you take off, no trees or obstacles in the are...if i had just took my time i would've found out instantly that something was wrong. But I sent my drone back to Yuneec and they fixed it under warranty. I just had to pay for shipping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco