Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Curved Cable Cam explanation??

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Typhoon H. Currently I fly a 3DR Solo and other DIY multi rotors based on 3DRs pixhawk.

One feature I love about the Solo is Cable Cam smart shot. (In fact it might be the ONLY feature I love about the Solo). With the Solo I can fly to a spot, yaw around and tilt the camera to frame a scene, then hit a button. Then fly to a second point, adjust the camera tilt and yaw, then press a button and move on, adding as many points as I'd like.

The Solo will then run the cable, transitioning between each point, with nice logarithmic easing in and out between each point, giving you very smooth and professional transitions.

In other words, the Solo doesn't just fly from point to point, it also controls the gimbal tilt between points in a very smooth way. Is this possible on the Yunnec Typhoon H? Is it smooth?

Very smooth indeed. The TH does all of that.
Any stuttering in the video below is down to Vimeo encryption, the original shows none.
Thank you. So just to clarify, the Typhoon controlled the gimbal tilt? (And the yaw). That wasn't you controlling the camera at all?

The Curved Cable Cam feature controlls the yaw and tilt of the camera and interpolates the positioning smoothly between the nodes. However, you can override and control the camera position yourself if you wish.

The Curved Cable Cam feature controlls the yaw and tilt of the camera and interpolates the positioning smoothly between the nodes. However, you can override and control the camera position yourself if you wish.
Awesome. Thank you.

The CCC DOES NOT control the Gimbal YAW!! It does control the 'Drone Yaw' and 'Gimbal Tilt' when PAN MODE is set to 'FOLLOW' so yes you'll get what you are trying to accomplish but be sure to have the PAN MODE set correctly and use the yaw of the bird itself not the Gimbal!

The CCC DOES NOT control the Gimbal YAW!! It does control the 'Drone Yaw' and 'Gimbal Tilt' when PAN MODE is set to 'FOLLOW' so yes you'll get what you are trying to accomplish but be sure to have the PAN MODE set correctly and use the yaw of the bird itself not the Gimbal!

Technically, yes and no. The H fc controls the yaw of the hex and camera.
To have the H control yaw and tilt, the Pan mode switch must be up or in the centre position (Pan or Follow Pan settings). If the switch is down, its in Global mode and you can manually control the camera tilt and yaw with the right stick. Have a look at Eric's CCC programme to see how the yaw of camera and hex are controlled in CCC.
CCC editor online TESTED IN REAL !!!!!!

Last edited:

Interesting point. I ran CCC and the gimbal tilt is controlled. The pan is controlled by yawing the H; however, I'm thinking this may change.

When running a selfie the Camera stays trained on you but unlike waypoints the H spins around, I assume this is for obstacle avoidance to keep the sensors facing forward.

The standard H does not use Obstacle Avoidance in Smart mode but the Pro with realsense does. You will notice the Pro does keep the H facing forward in Follow mode even if it is tracking from in front or the side. This leads me to believe the Pro may use gimbal pan instead of vehicle yaw for waypoints; but I don't have a Pro to confirm this.

As far as CCC it works great, the speed and direction controls are goofy and need to be learned. Only my Solo has a better CC than the H.

Interesting point. I ran CCC and the gimbal tilt is controlled. The pan is controlled by yawing the H; however, I'm thinking this may change.

When running a selfie the Camera stays trained on you but unlike waypoints the H spins around, I assume this is for obstacle avoidance to keep the sensors facing forward.

The standard H does not use Obstacle Avoidance in Smart mode but the Pro with realsense does. You will notice the Pro does keep the H facing forward in Follow mode even if it is tracking from in front or the side. This leads me to believe the Pro may use gimbal pan instead of vehicle yaw for waypoints; but I don't have a Pro to confirm this.

As far as CCC it works great, the speed and direction controls are goofy and need to be learned. Only my Solo has a better CC than the H.

Do you put in extra waypoints to make an action smooth or can you just go A-B-C?

Do you put in extra waypoints to make an action smooth or can you just go A-B-C?

Not sure I follow the question but you simply fly to the point you want, aim the camera at the subject and record. Then fly to the next point and do the same thing. When done recording you play the cable back, the computer does all the math to interpolate the gimbal with the flight path, control vehicle speed and in general keep the shot smooth.

That was going to be my next question (does it work by controlling gimbal yaw or camera pan/yaw), but you you guys have anticipated that and answered already. Thank you! (As long as it's smooth, I personally don't care whether it's the aircraft or the gimbal yaw.)

That was going to be my next question (does it work by controlling gimbal yaw or camera pan/yaw), but you you guys have anticipated that and answered already. Thank you! (As long as it's smooth, I personally don't care whether it's the aircraft or the gimbal yaw.)

Will try it tomorrow - weather permitting.

Hi guys I know this thread is sort of fizzled. But just wanted to add my 2 cents. The way I run my CCC is like this

First point I go directly straight up and set the first point

Set as many points as you want by flying around. The H does remember altitude of the flight so keep that in mind if you want it to fly higher or lower in spots

I set my final point in pretty much same spot as point one.

When you initiate to fly through the points then press forward on the left stick **NOTE** if you push on the stick slightly the drone will go very slowly, also if you are at the end of the journey it will allow you to pull back on the left stick and the drone will fly the points backwards.

Remember that this will fly through the points in a fluid motion, so it does not stop after you start it unless you select exit. I'm still practicing with this but getting very comfortable

Hope this bit helps.

I tried Curve Cabel Cam for the first time. It worked fine , although I think it flew a little too strong .

Try it again but this time push up halfway on the throttle stick it will fly slower the less you press forward on the throttle

Reactions: bowhunt
So how do you override it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval