Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Data Pilot Failure

Reaction score
All,
I have had a recent issue with the Data Pilot Software on the ST16 controller. On a couple of occasions, the software has stopped working in mid mission, usually after 100 images +/-. The screen just freezes, then blanks out, comes back on and says "would you like to reboot data pilot". The H520 continues on the preprogrammed flight, and finishes fine.
The problem started after I installed the newest upgrade (a few months ago) of software on the bird and the controller. I've since been using Pix4D Capture, which is fine. But I like the ease of being able to plan the mission on the desktop, and copying them into the ST16.
Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

All,
I have had a recent issue with the Data Pilot Software on the ST16 controller. On a couple of occasions, the software has stopped working in mid mission, usually after 100 images +/-. The screen just freezes, then blanks out, comes back on and says "would you like to reboot data pilot". The H520 continues on the preprogrammed flight, and finishes fine.
The problem started after I installed the newest upgrade (a few months ago) of software on the bird and the controller. I've since been using Pix4D Capture, which is fine. But I like the ease of being able to plan the mission on the desktop, and copying them into the ST16.
Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

hi Tony,

While you wait for others who may have some direct experience with the same setup you are using, lets try narrowing the potential causes:
  • Have all your missions been created using Pix4D, meaning... you were using Pix4D prior to the software and firmware upgrades you make mention of?
  • Have you tried creating missions via DataPilot and if so, have these missions ever exhibited the issue you describe?
Based on my years of troubleshooting experience, it seems we need to remove as many variables as possible. In your case, we need to remove the potential of Pix4D Capture inducing the problem. Hence the suggestion of creating and flying only flights prepped using DataPilot.

If still failing, then we can resort to a number of things including:
  • Going back to the previous versions of software/firmware
  • Resetting and reinstalling the latest firmware
  • a combination of the above (reset, reinstall, update)
Maybe someone else will chime in who has experienced the same thing, AND fixed it!

You may also want contact Yuneec (not by email) to see if they are aware of this issue. Being an H520, I am hopeful they will respond quickly.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Jeff

To answer your questions:
1. Before I installed the latest datapilot update, I only used datapilot with the Yuneec. After the recent mission failures, I have no confidence in DataPilots stability, so I have been using the Pix4D, which works fine. I use the Pix4D capture on my Phantom 4, as well as Pix4D for the processing, and am very comfortable with it.

The DataPilot failures only started after the update a few months ago, and I suspect it is the problem. The update failed multiple times, and bricked the controller for a while. I had to press the home keys multiple times during reboot to get it back, and was finally able to get the update installed successfully. The software seems to work fine for smaller missions. I just performed a few under 100 images, and it worked fine. The problem has occurred recently when I am flying larger missions (more than 100 images). Before the update, I flew some large missions without issue of ST16 software failure...
I've checked the software with the DataPilot update, and everything (camera, software and bird) are all up to date. I don't know how to do a reinstall...

I have had the same problem with my controller and I am using the datapilot program. I have the Yuneec representative for Israel as my dealer so he is in good contact with Yuneec. I took my set up back to him and told him datapilot was crashing at about the same point that you mentioned. He sent all the logs to Yuneec for there evaluations. After wiping everything clean and reinstalling a couple of times it still had the same problem. The dealer also has a couple of other H520 workings that have had no problems at all. Yuneec after the review of data said there is something wrong with the hardware in the controller and are replacing it with a new one. I hope this will solve my problems because I am also flying with the E10Tv 640 sometimes. I will keep you all posted if it works or not. I think it was something in that last update, but who am I to say.

Reactions: Georob998
I would recommend you to do a factory reset on the ST16S and install it all over again since what seems to be failing is DataPilot.

When you installed the latest updates did you clean the cache of the program? This is a very important point. When we install an update and there are old temporary data from other versions, they can negatively influence with the new versions.

I did not clean the cache out.
Thanks for the input SmokinAmerican, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there. I had major problems with the installation of the update, so I do suspect a clean reinstall will help.
If someone has advice as to how to proceed I am a newb with android devices...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss