Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Davinci Resolve 14

Reaction score
'Beta' for Davinci Resolve 14 - apparently skipped 13 altogether.

Blackmagic Design: Support Center

I am a complete novice with Davinci 12.5 (video post processing in general), but have downloaded the new 14 beta. It is faster and smoother, and BlackMagic claims it runs better on laptops. Go figure as I just got a dedicated highish end desktop for editing the Typhoon H video with Davinci 12.5 .

Reading the 1000 page manual. Really?

I have found that Video is Hard: 1) Capturing movement and subject not so bad, 2) exposure tough but equivalent to slide film / positives, but 3) processing is *tough*, and 4) finished product - not even close.

'Beta' for Davinci Resolve 14 - apparently skipped 13 altogether.

Blackmagic Design: Support Center

I am a complete novice with Davinci 12.5 (video post processing in general), but have downloaded the new 14 beta. It is faster and smoother, and BlackMagic claims it runs better on laptops. Go figure as I just got a dedicated highish end desktop for editing the Typhoon H video with Davinci 12.5 .

Reading the 1000 page manual. Really?

I have found that Video is Hard: 1) Capturing movement and subject not so bad, 2) exposure tough but equivalent to slide film / positives, but 3) processing is *tough*, and 4) finished product - not even close.
I used to use Davinci Resolve but I finally dumped it in favor of an editor which demanded less from my lap-top. No matter what I did I would always end up with a rendered video from H footage showing signs of stuttering.

My current editor, while not as singing and dancing as Resolve, renders far better H footage than Resove, so that's what I'm going to stick with. I will download Resolve 14 to see if it will render footage from the H without signs of stuttering given that they claim that it runs better on laptops, but I'm not optimistic that it will...not on my 6 year old laptop anyway.

I used to use Davinci Resolve but I finally dumped it in favor of an editor which demanded less from my lap-top. No matter what I did I would always end up with a rendered video from H footage showing signs of stuttering.

My current editor, while not as singing and dancing as Resolve, renders far better H footage than Resove, so that's what I'm going to stick with. I will download Resolve 14 to see if it will render footage from the H without signs of stuttering given that they claim that it runs better on laptops, but I'm not optimistic that it will...not on my 6 year old laptop anyway.

Which editor are you using???
Thanks, Tom

Which editor are you using???
Thanks, Tom
Wondershare Filmora. Easy to use and gives good steady videos produced from H footage. It will also handle 4K and has an option to send files to DVD.

The free version has a bold watermark but still useful to evaluate it before buying. I suggest you test it out and some others before buying it. You may find another one that meets your needs better.

Here is a video produced via Filmora

Reactions: MarkC
Was trying to learn Resolve, totally surprised by the professionality of this freeware. But because of that it has a to steep learning curve for me, can't spend enough time.
I changed to Lightworks, which I will try and make a showreel with. Might take a while, busy @work!

Cheers!

Was trying to learn Resolve, totally surprised by the professionality of this freeware. But because of that it has a to steep learning curve for me, can't spend enough time.
I changed to Lightworks, which I will try and make a showreel with. Might take a while, busy @work!

Cheers!
They had a forced upgrade to Lightworks about a month ago which (in the free version) took away the option of saving a movie at 1080p (Vimeo option).

So using the free version of Lightworks you can now only save your film at 720p.

Davinci has a big learning curve to use and produce quality videos. Probably too much if you are just considering editing your single session from that morning or evenings outing.

I downloaded Filmora (thanks Flushvision) yesterday and put the same video files into it from last weekend that I put into Davinci.

1) I shoot in raw mode, and Filmora has no color correction, LUT's, sharpness, so that seems to prevent editing clips from different batteries / exposures let alone different days you are shooting. Filmora has many overlays that change the rendered film color and many other effects. There is no direct way to adjust sharpness and color gradients like Davinci that I am aware of.

2) The new Davinci will run at between 2-4GB of memory, and Filmora was running at 2+GB of memory usage.

3) Rendering into 4k output was slower then Davinci by about 30%.

I think if the video is shot in Gorgeous mode then raw Filmora will work well.

Currently in my learning curve I am shooting in raw mode and then applying the Davinci color corrections; I can almost match the Gorgeous mode the H generates. I think in a little bit I will be able to surpass the automatic Gorgeous mode with regards to the 'noise' and moire effects visible in the Gorgeous rendered video. I think the real key is being able to adjust the changing exposure, to color match different scenes from different times and days to produce a concise video.

But, in my observations it is interesting to see that most drone videos are from the same session; I fall into this as well. It appears that we amateurs and novice videographers seem to fall into this group of processing the day's video into an uploaded movie for our weekend status. And truth be told I believe most viewers are friends and families and actually want this. So Filmora or other simple editors (even Windows Movie Maker) may be really effective for us.

Ah, but I will continue to push Davinci to get the result I can look at for a long time and not see to many defects in the result.

I welcome a learning curve.

Something new everyday.

Using Magix, I find it incredible.

A bit pricey but, hey, it's all singing all dancing and some.

...<snip>...

1) I shoot in raw mode, and Filmora has no color correction, LUT's, sharpness, so that seems to prevent editing clips from different batteries / exposures let alone different days you are shooting. Filmora has many overlays that change the rendered film color and many other effects. There is no direct way to adjust sharpness and color gradients like Davinci that I am aware of.
...<snip>...
Hi Windluv.
Filmora does have colour correction. I agree not as good as Davinci, but you can do colour correction. And it does also have LUTs too.
I wonder if you have missed how to get to the colour correction page?

1. Click on the bit of footage you want to correct so that it has a red high-light around it.
2. some options will appear in the bar just above the timeline. One of the options is denoted by what looks like an artist's paint mixing board (I dunno what you call them). Click that to get to the colour correction page.
3. On that page you can use all the correction tools and LUTs

I agree, not as good as Davinci, but definitely good enough if you have issues running Davinci on an older computer.

By the way, I shoot at 1080p using the 'Natural' setting on the ST16

First used windows movie maker years ago for my parrot drone and q500 then i bought filmora wondershare then sony vegas and now premiere pro ....

on amazon and im sure elsewhere there is software called :
Sony Vegas Movie Studio
software
its a slimmed down version for 50 to 80 usd

I gave DaVinci Resolve another chance after watching a tutorial and referring to it during my edit session. I generated a 12-minute 4k video project with lots of color correction applied. I expected to see a really cool result. Everything was set for 3840x2160 at 29.95 fps. Unfortunately, like FlushVision, the produced video stuttered badly. Am I missing a setting or something?

I went back to my trusty Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 and got an excellent result.

upload_2018-3-16_22-35-16.png

I had the stuttering as well; drove me bonkers. Thought it was my computer system, rendering speed, rendering resolution, disk-issue, and so forth. Spent a lot of rendering time to figure it out. Turned out to be the import setting of the video. Essentially, Resolve is making up for a gap in the import resolution to the export resolution which causes the stuttering. Fundamentaly I think the CGO-3 sets an incorrect fps speed of 25 rather then the 29.97.

Before importing the video, make sure your project settings are for the playback frame rate of 29.97; this solved my stuttering.

View attachment 8920
I had the stuttering as well; drove me bonkers. Thought it was my computer system, rendering speed, rendering resolution, disk-issue, and so forth. Spent a lot of rendering time to figure it out. Turned out to be the import setting of the video. Essentially, Resolve is making up for a gap in the import resolution to the export resolution which causes the stuttering. Fundamentaly I think the CGO-3 sets an incorrect fps speed of 25 rather then the 29.97.
Before importing the video, make sure your project settings are for the playback frame rate of 29.97; this solved my stuttering.
No, the CGO3+ video files are 29.97 fps (according to the original file Properties/Details).
I set everything in Resolve to UHD, 29.97, project preset and timeline before importing camera file. Divinci Resolve output still stutters, especially during pans. Original file plays smoothly.

Just to jump in. I use Vegas Pro 15 and it is great for editing. Even used it to edit 4 our our TV programs.

No, the CGO3+ video files are 29.97 fps (according to the original file Properties/Details).
I set everything in Resolve to UHD, 29.97, project preset and timeline before importing camera file. Divinci Resolve output still stutters, especially during pans. Original file plays smoothly.

Depends what you mean by 'output'.

If you mean playback in Resolve, you should use optimised media (aka. proxy editing) - search on YouTube for the details. Resolve is quite sensitive to recording formats when it comes to playback in the editor.

If you mean files you write out, then obviously you must ensure your Render settings during encoding match the input frame rate.

It's true that the MP4 files have incorrect metadata in certain circumstances (25 vs. 29.97 fps) so you have to override Davinci defaults all over the place to avoid the 'tick tick' stutter when it tries to make up the difference.

I use both Lightworks and Resolve - incredible learning curve, but it helps that there are a lot of tutorials online to fill in little "I didn't know that" moments.

Depends what you mean by 'output' If you mean files you write out, then obviously you must ensure your Render settings during encoding match the input frame rate. It's true that the MP4 files have incorrect metadata in certain circumstances (25 vs. 29.97 fps) so you have to override Davinci defaults all over the place to avoid the 'tick tick' stutter when it tries to make up the difference. I use both Lightworks and Resolve - incredible learning curve, but it helps that there are a lot of tutorials online to fill in little "I didn't know that" moments.
Well that's the thing. I'm looking at the files Rendered from the Deliver page as MP4. These are rendered at the same resolution and frame rate as the input files: 3840x2160 at 29.97 fps. And still there is stuttering that is not seen in the input files or in the PowerDirector edited and rendered output files. I've got to believe there is a setting in Resolve 14 somewhere that I'm missing.
Can the input file metadata be different than what is reported by Win10 File Explorer Properties/Details?

1) First image is the Project Settings with a brand new project. I always start a new project.

Attachments

• importsetting-before-resetting.jpg
    importsetting-before-resetting.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 19
2) Project settings after setting for 29.97. Do this before importing the files.

Attachments

• importsetting-after-resetting.jpg
    importsetting-after-resetting.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 18
3) Import the Yuneec files.
4) You should get this warning that the files to import do not match the timeline. Make sure to 'Don't Change'

I validated this with my video from todays shooting. It is just beginning to render, and will double check video is not stuttering.

As a 'stuttering note', from 11/17 through 1/18 I had the stuttering and tried many things. I thought I would have to go to another platform. This did work for me.

Attachments

• imortsetting-2.jpg
    imortsetting-2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 17

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49