Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

developing secondary power source for st16 series controller

order the last part auto low voltage cutoff circuit. been manually observing the voltage and cutting it off at 15.1 volts. which is enough runtime for up 8 full flights at 20 min each or 6 full flights at 25 min each. with power to spare. which is 50 percent storage level with the h520 flight battery.
I get 85-90 minutes consistently whether it's the H520 or the E-RTK. Less flight time on the RTK due to waiting for satellites and a fix. I carry 3 batteries at all times and have the 3-port charger.

One the st16s battery I tend lose about 20 to 26 percent charge per flight with the h520e. on the h520 about 13 to 15 percent per flight. I do not let my st16e drop below 50 percent mostly do to it takes longer to recharge them on the 3 port st16s battery charger I have 4 of them and can support charging up to 12 st16s batteries at a rate one at a time per charger which can eat up a lot of time to get all st16s batteries charged backup if used the same day. I have 10 st16s controller batteries 1 controller battery will charge up at 50 percent to full after average two and half pods of flight batteries that are fully flown. one pod is 4 flight batteries which is what the GPC yuneec flight battery case holds. however I can recharge a flight battery fully right after the forth flight battery is fully flown which is a quicker turn around time. which why for a time when I was using the h480 I was able to do 24 flights in a day and only have 12 flight batteries. I was able to recharge them where I was flying at. I waited until I finished the second flight fully before I started to recharge the first flight battery backup for it's second round for that day.

One the st16s battery I tend lose about 20 to 26 percent charge per flight with the h520e. on the h520 about 13 to 15 percent per flight. I do not let my st16e drop below 50 percent mostly do to it takes longer to recharge them on the 3 port st16s battery charger I have 4 of them and can support charging up to 12 st16s batteries at a rate one at a time per charger which can eat up a lot of time to get all st16s batteries charged backup if used the same day. I have 10 st16s controller batteries 1 controller battery will charge up at 50 percent to full after average two and half pods of flight batteries that are fully flown. one pod is 4 flight batteries which is what the GPC yuneec flight battery case holds. however I can recharge a flight battery fully right after the forth flight battery is fully flown which is a quicker turn around time. which why for a time when I was using the h480 I was able to do 24 flights in a day and only have 12 flight batteries. I was able to recharge them where I was flying at. I waited until I finished the second flight fully before I started to recharge the first flight battery backup for it's second round for that day.
Makes sense. I carry 7 in our case and usually recharge 3 a day and 3 RC batteries usually handles that load but I let them get to 25-30%. If I fully retire the P4P's then I will need to carry a 4th RC battery.

peak current draw on ac dc adapter 2.75 peak running at 2.30 is the floor to 2.45 when connected to h520e on the ground idle.

this is odd the controller runs at a lower amps on ac dc adapter though a 5 volt buck converter. off battery specs over 3 amps required

I think I found my ideal buck converter for the h520e now. it's the simple one with no read out or adjustments. it's running the controller at lower amps readings the other more complicated one could not handle 5 volts which would lower the amperage used. heat sink got too warm to the touch for my taste. the other adapter running real cool to the touch. the amp volt meter showing good specs.

never thought I needed one. the third electronic part's cost to make so far pretty much solid working version comes to only 70.48 less than the cost of st16e / st16s battery but total will go up slight bit when I purchase the casing to hold every thing. aready had wires and other spare parts on hand. will be tearing down my other h480 for the battery cage to hold h520e flight battery with major alterations for the h520e plug cable. this is the relative easy carry attachment. I just thought of a way I can convert yuneec charging bricks for battery output for a bigger double screen setup in a pelican case pending if I can get the right size case to mount everything in. that project going to run a bit high in cost. but I need to nail down the power system's first

right now I a doing a long time run on ac dc adapter to see how the st16e will handle extended runs. Also need to figure a way to lessen the data recording to the st16e/s controller and divert as much as possible to another storage device mosty photo and video to a dvr type device. either though a mini pc setup or a outright dvr.

Last edited:
The bigger project also when I go after the thermal issues. I have with the nonmodified right from the vendor yuneec st16 series controller. On real warm to hot days I must fly from the shade or the controller over heats and issues arise.

here are some of lines inspiration that I aim aiming for my end game. mind you it will not be a fancy as the bad boys but hopes are to build the yuneec st16e into one of these types for my own use.
or something more basic

okay that run was successful now the end testing. rebuilt the st16s battery and now recharging it will throw the amp volt meter part in the mix and get reading on what the oem battery actually throws at the unit.

3.77 amps to 3.25 on the battery. well well very interesting results. but in line to the buck converter running 4.2 out. not the one running 5 volt. that one was running st16e better over all.

I must test fly that 5 volt buck converter. there is only one more buck converter out there that can be set to 4.2 volts and amp can be set that can handle the amperage of that better than what I currently have. the discharge curve matches to what is expected. with h520e connected and e30zx attached.

rtk runns a bit higher max 3.91 amps. and as I thought no proper bracing for the rtk antenna which over time could flex and crack the top of the air frame and is just hot glued in place. temps are running equal with each other. hit 4.41 amps peak now voltage reading 3.55 and 63 percent on the st16e. the current reading would have been out of bounds on the buck converter that gave led read outs of voltage and amperage.

Last edited:
okay boot cycle off the battery at 51 percent unit is now power cycling running from st16s/e battery. never did this with non rtk version. voltage is at 3.55v the st16e will run but can not connect to h520e rtk jsu power cycles. rtk is not running from battery 52 percent or lower on the st16e. this is from the primary battery here not the secondary source.

the secondary source was never used on this controller until now. running test from secondary power source. also going to see if yuneec fixed the melting battery issue or it's still there. from doing idle runs.

secondary power source is set from ac dc laptop adapter this should never run out of power unless location looses power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval