Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

developing secondary power source for st16 series controller

here first round of photos

Attachments

• My Snapshot.jpg
    My Snapshot.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 11
  • My Snapshot_9.jpg
    My Snapshot_9.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
  • My Snapshot_8.jpg
    My Snapshot_8.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 11
  • My Snapshot_7.jpg
    My Snapshot_7.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 11
  • My Snapshot_6.jpg
    My Snapshot_6.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 11
  • My Snapshot_5.jpg
    My Snapshot_5.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
  • My Snapshot_4.jpg
    My Snapshot_4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8
  • My Snapshot_3.jpg
    My Snapshot_3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 8
  • My Snapshot_2.jpg
    My Snapshot_2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
  • My Snapshot_1.jpg
    My Snapshot_1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 9
second round photos

Attachments

• My Snapshot_16.jpg
    My Snapshot_16.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
  • My Snapshot_15.jpg
    My Snapshot_15.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
  • My Snapshot_14.jpg
    My Snapshot_14.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 8
  • My Snapshot_13.jpg
    My Snapshot_13.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 9
  • My Snapshot_12.jpg
    My Snapshot_12.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 8
  • My Snapshot_11.jpg
    My Snapshot_11.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 8
  • My Snapshot_10.jpg
    My Snapshot_10.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
  • My Snapshot_17.jpg
    My Snapshot_17.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: WTFDproject
guts of the project

Attachments

• My Snapshot_20.jpg
    My Snapshot_20.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4
  • My Snapshot_19.jpg
    My Snapshot_19.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 4
  • My Snapshot_18.jpg
    My Snapshot_18.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
  • My Snapshot_21.jpg
    My Snapshot_21.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 5
  • My Snapshot_22.jpg
    My Snapshot_22.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 5
  • My Snapshot_23.jpg
    My Snapshot_23.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 6
  • My Snapshot_24.jpg
    My Snapshot_24.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5
  • My Snapshot_25.jpg
    My Snapshot_25.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 4
it's almost ready one part I need to add is volt meter to the input from battery to buck. I have a safety cut off set to 15..1v and I do not want to change the installed board that is volt and amp metering the buck converter to st16e or st16s.

it's almost ready one part I need to add is volt meter to the input from battery to buck. I have a safety cut off set to 15..1v and I do not want to change the installed board that is volt and amp metering the buck converter to st16e or st16s.
Holy moly that's some engineering right there!

on the battery you asked If it were to be used for the st16e or st16s just the red and black wire. as for the the yellow ntc that I am not sure on if needs to be has to be used somewhere or is able to be left out of the st16s or st16e power circuit. next question is what gauges are the wires. at 4.2 volts charged the st16e and st16s will draw over 4.4 amps when using certain payloads and features on the remote like the pan tilt of the camera. camera setting menu . mission planning and obs switch turned on. as the battery voltage decreases the amps go up but I have never hit the 5 amp mark. and when the battery hits a certain low voltage and any options are tried unit will reboot itself. found that out when I was monitoring a st16s battery I put back together to get the amp readings from oem stock equipment when in use. also that will require addition circuitry that is different to support it for recharging it and connecting it to the yuneec controller that I have not delved into yet.
  • GND – Black Wire
  • NTC – Yellow Wire
  • VBAT – Red Wire

Last edited:
I just one huge thing I may have left out the micro usb port on the bottom of the st16e or st16s . That is never to be used when you are using or have attached this alternative power source for the yuneec controller that I am developing.

I just one huge thing I may have left out the micro usb port on the bottom of the st16e or st16s . That is never to be used when you are using or have attached this alternative power source for the yuneec controller that I am developing.
This is where my original question was coming from. Thanks.

Also do not use the top usb port until I get some questions answered. I want to mkae sure that is also not a part of the onboard charging circuit in any way like the bottom micro usb is.

Reactions: chascoadmin
there is one more saftey feature I need to develop this to be fail safe. right now this is set for advance pro use only. I think I may be able to connect a st16e or s battery as backup via low voltage cutoff circuit boards tied into relays and a timer circuit that switches power sources completely at a set level disengage the main battery and engage the reserve battery and not lose power to the controller giving the pilot time to stop the mission and land the uav until the main battery on the secondary device has been changed for the controller. or on a setup where the secondary power source is running from ac source through uninterruptible power supply a small one needed and then switches over to st16s or st16e battery while keeping the power to the controller so the pilot can recall the craft under his or her control. granted huge amp anti back feed diodes are needed 80 amps min.

main raw battery voltage meter installed. getting every thing ready for first flight with the secondary power source.

first test run done oh boy it blew it out of the park. 15 min flight 9 percent of the flight battery used on the controller. It is 20 percent when used on the st16s st16e battery. with e30zx. I should have atleast 8 full flights with this rate compare to 2 to 3 full flights. the flight battery is down to 15 percent on the charger. both a ultra x h480 the lowest power batteries I have for the aircraft. the others that have not been ran yet are rated higher mah or higher voltage or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: chascoadmin
the last post should have been labeled first hot live test (actually air born testing). all testing before hand was cold as in non flight on the ground base testing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval