Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Did anyone catch the Moon Shadow

Reaction score
I remember someone on here talking about having their bird in the air to catch the shadow as it came over them. I went down to Franklin, KY for the eclipse and had asked about flying my H to do just that and I was told "No drones allowed". I explained why and they still said no. I have a lot of photos taken with my Nikon but no incoming shadow. As soon as I finish production I can post them on here. I have watched many eclipses on television, but nothing can compare to being there and would like to see the video of the shadow coming in.

I took us two hours flat to drive from Louisville, KY down to Franklin, KY. It took us over six hours to get back and we took the back roads and goat trails. Several areas we came to complete stops an inched our way for miles. Roads were overloaded. the most direct route took some ten or more hours.

Last edited:
I'm not sure one of our UAV's could get high enough to capture the shadow's movement. Traveling between 1,400 and 2,000 miles per hour (depending on the point along its path across the US) and, the diffusion of the shadow at it's edges makes seeing it's edge as it passes nearly impossible. I think astronauts got to see that phenomenon from the ISS.

However I did capture some very strange shadows here in Florida where we only saw about 75% coverage. Two photos taken at around the same time (August 21 and August 22) and of the same area of my driveway - notice the shapes of the Eclipse in the shadows.

EclipseA.jpg

EclipseB.jpg

Reactions: Rubik and dadaas
Here is one I got from a telescope a guy was running right next to me in Franklin KY. We had 2 minutes and 34 seconds of total eclipse.

Attachments

• DSC_0027(1).JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 63
The online news account of the special Alaska Airlines eclipse flight contains a few seconds of video showing the moon's shadow on the ground below. The shadow is the thing that I most clearly recall about the total eclipse I saw while at a small airport in Georgia almost 50 years ago. The terrain was flat and the sky was cloudy. The dark shadow passed over us like a wall - Twilight and then dark and then twilight again as it left. Roosters crowed, cows bellowed beneath the totality shadow. I think it was the best part of witnessing an eclipse.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed was the sunset type of sky all around us. I tried to shoot photos of that but the camera would not take the shot because of the filter on the lens. I think I did get a picture of a solar flare.

This is all I have done so far. I took around 900 some stills as it progressed, and will make a video of the transit as soon as I find something that will batch convert Canon raw files, since the moron operating the camera forgot to put it in RAW+JPEG mode.
Shot with a Canon 7D through an AstroZap filter attached to an 8" Meade LX200 with Meade series 5000 f/6.3 reducer.
20934913_487695468264691_3708243261803387923_o.jpg

I hear you. I had a moron working my camera too! Tried to take the sunset effect all around me at the peak of total eclipse. The dummy forgot the lens had a super filter on it. But there were bigger dummies all around me shooting with flash. One guy even had the old focal plane bulbs.

Reactions: kd4pbs
I sent my drone up and caught the Mid point to brightness. The other file I have is not readable. Its pretty cool seeing the shift and we were at 99.5%. Though I have a serious lack in video editing skills. So not sure how to post it. :(

But the 1:30 seconds of the video that is pretty neat you do see the shadow move over the part of Oregon I am from. Shot from about 600 feet up.

Here one showing the eclipse shadow on the earth taken by a guy that sent cameras up to 114,000 feet hanging from a weather balloon. The pictures of the shadow starts at about 3 min. (Be sure to watch the balloon burst and camera descent.)

Here's what I got with two 4k cameras in Central Oregon; the TH looking west and a Sony AX100 looking at the sun.
Thanks for sharing that! Well done!

Here one showing the eclipse shadow on the earth taken by a guy that sent cameras up to 114,000 feet hanging from a weather balloon. The pictures of the shadow starts at about 3 min. (Be sure to watch the balloon burst and camera descent.)

Pretty cool. I wonder what a gimbal stabilized camera would have done?

Great work guys. Just tapping away on my phone right now so I don't have the video to upload now but I was able to get to Silverton Oregon on my cousin's property to video the eclipse. There is two radio towers on either side of his property one of which is 1000' so I was able to climb to 1,400' to record the moon shadow. It is pretty comparable to the Eastern Oregon clip already posted. The ground is quite a bit flatter though and I was higher so I could watch it coming and going a little bit longer. I also recorded what looked to be shadow bands in the sky which I have never seen anywhere else? Has anyone else recorded any similar affects? Another cool thing on my video is you could see Mt. Hood in the background lit up as we were in totallity and after we exited totallity the mountain was finally getting dark. I will try to upload the video later today. Awesome clips guys!!!

Reactions: ThunderChicken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy