Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Took the online FAA Remote Pilot recurrency test today

Reaction score
My Remote Pilot Certificate was due to expire at the end of April. Already renewed once, so I had spent 300 clams.

I took the online course and test, FREE (wonder how long that will last!). The prelim study portion takes 3 forevers (one hour or so), but the actual test can go as fast as you can answer.

I took the test in less than 20 minutes (they allow 1 1/2 hours) without speed in mind, Easy! No question was not covered in the prelim. You must make 100% to pass, then receive a printable Certificate, both full size and a smaller one for your wallet. You can retake the test if you do not pass.

FAA-UAS Cert-4-13-21a.jpg

Just to compare:
I'm impressed you, in USA, have to make 100% to pass. In Italy we have 40 questions with multiple answers (3, only 1 is the right one), we gain 2 points for every right answer, 0 points for no answer, - 1 point for wrong answer.
To pass we must reach 60 points, that means 75% of maximum (80 points).
Max time 1 hour.
The cost il 31 euros, about 37 dollars. You pay before trying...and you have 4 attempts. If you don't pass, have to wait 1 month before new attempt. And pay again...
Validity of certificate is 5 years.

My Remote Pilot Certificate was due to expire at the end of April. Already renewed once, so I had spent 300 clams.

I took the online course and test, FREE (wonder how long that will last!). The prelim study portion takes 3 forevers (one hour or so), but the actual test can go as fast as you can answer.

I took the test in less than 20 minutes (they allow 1 1/2 hours) without speed in mind, Easy! No question was not covered in the prelim. You must make 100% to pass, then receive a printable Certificate, both full size and a smaller one for your wallet. You can retake the test if you do not pass.

View attachment 25397
Do I understand correctly that you have to pass the new refresher test to be able to get permission to fly over people with the new drone categories? Read it in an article, but I took my recurrent last year and don't really want to waste my time if I don't have to. Being able to fly over an active construction site is much easier and less a headache than telling them to clear out for 15 minutes.

Reactions: Mike Irish
The entire scene is in flux, and the FAA is scrambling to update and/or replace outdated parts of their rules and regulations for UAVs. I can say that the new online training and recurrent test covers RID, flying over people, etc. (Remember that RID rules do not take effect for quite a while.)

Do I understand correctly that you have to pass the new refresher test to be able to get permission to fly over people with the new drone categories? Read it in an article, but I took my recurrent last year and don't really want to waste my time if I don't have to. Being able to fly over an active construction site is much easier and less a headache than telling them to clear out for 15 minutes.
Yes - even IF you are current, you will not be able to utilize those options such as night time or OPP until you take the online recurrent course that just went live and, take and pass the new recurrent test. I am in the same boat as you, I took my recurrent last March but I am going to take the new course later this month just to be up on the new rules. There is no reason we have to use the full 24 month period of our last recurrency test and now that the training is free and online there really is no reason not to in my opinion.

Yes - even IF you are current, you will not be able to utilize those options such as night time or OPP until you take the online recurrent course that just went live and, take and pass the new recurrent test. I am in the same boat as you, I took my recurrent last March but I am going to take the new course later this month just to be up on the new rules. There is no reason we have to use the full 24 month period of our last recurrency test and now that the training is free and online there really is no reason not to in my opinion.
Thanks! That's what I needed. At least I don't have to pay for this one yet and drive somewhere to take the exam.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval