Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Differences between Typhoon H, H Plus (H2), Typhoon 920, and H520.

Reaction score
I am going to write this to try to be a guide to the all looming and never-ending repeat of will the E90, E50, ET(2), C23, DataPilot and whatever other cameras/software might be in the works.

I should change the title to "things I learned at CES."

First, the most asked question, when can I put the E90 on my Typhoon H? Answer (if it seems harsh don't tell me about it, call, email, write or smoke signal Yuneec), the Typhoon H has a proprietary flight control system, key word proprietary. The H2 and H520 are running Mavlink and PX4 systems. The proprietary H system will not accept Mavlink. The proprietary H system will not accept DataPilot. The H2 will not be compatible with DataPilot. DataPilot is for the commercial airframes and will stay with the commercial airframes. As I was informed at CES, the C23 camera will be for the H2 (consumer) aircraft. Realsense will be available for the H2. Realsense will not be available for the H520 (long story but I understand the underlying issues with software vs hardware and don't think I need to explain it, simply put, no, for the 520). 920 (since I mentioned it at the top), no one had any info on the 920, nothing about software, firmware, etc.

Second, there are new cameras in the works, an update to DataPilot, and a few other items on the development desk.

Long story short, if you think the Typhoon H currently, should be able to fly the E90, E50, ET(2), feel free to try and figure out how to write the firmware to get a Mavlink protocol to communicate with the Typhoon H. Typhoon H has been out for more than two years. I remember when Intel was dropping a new version of the Pentium series at least every 180 days (I also remember when the first 1 Gb HDD released). It's older technology (I don't see Intel supporting the Pentium III anymore).

So at this point, feel free to post your one millionth, "I want the E90 for my Typhoon H!" Or "I want DataPilot for my Typhoon H!"

Without raising a fuss at Yuneec Headquarters, you won't get anything accomplished. And yelling at me, again, won't get anything accomplished.

Thanks mate.
Well said.

I really hope this was a genuine error at 2min48s mark.

Zendoli,

You talking about the statement “...the old H cameras won’t work in the H Plus but... the [C23] will work with the H” ???

I did notice the statement, just after the comment about the weight of the new camera, if it were on the old H[480] would result in shorter flight times due to the added weight.

If so, which part of that are you hoping is a error? The possibility the old cameras may be relegated to the boneyard for those who upgrade and no longer want to fly their H’s?

In reality, the situation would not be much different than say... let’s list a few:

New models of automobiles coming out every year, requiring different accessories; new personal computers requiring upgraded versions of operating systems and apps; new DSLRs, who’s ports are different than predecessors, making certain control cables and the like a new purchase as well.

And let’s not forget our smart phones, which we cannot live without. Need I list the evolutions there and the added expenses whenever we upgrade?

Life lesson: Do we always bite when a manufacturer touts “backwards compatibility”? Often yes. Does backwards compatibility always come to fruition? Often no. Not necessarily due to planned deception, but rather technology advancements. To keep making things backwards compatible risks additional manufacturing/design/support costs [passed on the the consumer no doubt] but also can stymie advancement and innovation.

A tough pill to swallow sometimes, but we get it down and move on, soon forgetting our frustration.

Maybe not what many want to hear [read] but still a reminder of reality.

Jeff

P.S. I still plan on using my old H480’s along with my H520, as well if I get a Plus. Just like my mechanic son-in-law does not immediately throw away calendars hanging in his garage just because a new year started. [I know some of you will get that one. [emoji41]]

Reactions: Jim Davies
So, let me get this straight, my CGO-ET for my H480 is never going to work on the 520??
Correct.
You can send it to Yuneec for them to modify it to work.... I believe.
I hope so as I have two of the original ET that I want modified.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Second, there are new cameras in the works, an update to DataPilot, and a few other items on the development desk.
Thank you for your report.
New cameras ? Can you say a little bit more ? For the 520 ? For the H+ ? For the cinema ?

Any new nda agreements issued by yuneec may prevent any more info out than stated. that's if they renewed them for these new items.

C23 backwards compatibility
Zendoli,

You talking about the statement “...the old H cameras won’t work in the H Plus but... the [C23] will work with the H” ???

I did notice the statement, just after the comment about the weight of the new camera, if it were on the old H[480] would result in shorter flight times due to the added weight.

If so, which part of that are you hoping is a error? The possibility the old cameras may be relegated to the boneyard for those who upgrade and no longer want to fly their H’s?

In reality, the situation would not be much different than say... let’s list a few:

New models of automobiles coming out every year, requiring different accessories; new personal computers requiring upgraded versions of operating systems and apps; new DSLRs, who’s ports are different than predecessors, making certain control cables and the like a new purchase as well.

And let’s not forget our smart phones, which we cannot live without. Need I list the evolutions there and the added expenses whenever we upgrade?

Life lesson: Do we always bite when a manufacturer touts “backwards compatibility”? Often yes. Does backwards compatibility always come to fruition? Often no. Not necessarily due to planned deception, but rather technology advancements. To keep making things backwards compatible risks additional manufacturing/design/support costs [passed on the the consumer no doubt] but also can stymie advancement and innovation.

A tough pill to swallow sometimes, but we get it down and move on, soon forgetting our frustration.

Maybe not what many want to hear [read] but still a reminder of reality.

Jeff

P.S. I still plan on using my old H480’s along with my H520, as well if I get a Plus. Just like my mechanic son-in-law does not immediately throw away calendars hanging in his garage just because a new year started. [I know some of you will get that one. [emoji41]]

I was referring to the rep's statement on the C23 backwards compatibility with the H. Bob has stated that it won't be compatible.
Yuneec's rep either openly lied or he could have been misinformed by someone else.

Reactions: Jim Davies
C23 backwards compatibility

I was referring to the rep's statement on the C23 backwards compatibility with the H. Bob has stated that it won't be compatible.
Yuneec's rep either openly lied or he could have been misinformed by someone else.
It will be backward compatible. Can't wait to put my DJI junk on ebay. Yuneec says the C23 will be available the first half of 2018 sometime.

YUNEEC C23 | 1

Key Features
  • 1” CMOS sensor
  • 20 megapixel photos
  • 4 K video resolution at 60 frames per second
  • Compatible with the Typhoon H / Typhoon H Pro and Typhoon H Pro with Intel® RealSense™

I am going to write this to try to be a guide to the all looming and never-ending repeat of will the E90, E50, ET(2), C23, DataPilot and whatever other cameras/software might be in the works.

I should change the title to "things I learned at CES."

First, the most asked question, when can I put the E90 on my Typhoon H? Answer (if it seems harsh don't tell me about it, call, email, write or smoke signal Yuneec), the Typhoon H has a proprietary flight control system, key word proprietary. The H2 and H520 are running Mavlink and PX4 systems. The proprietary H system will not accept Mavlink. The proprietary H system will not accept DataPilot. The H2 will not be compatible with DataPilot. DataPilot is for the commercial airframes and will stay with the commercial airframes. As I was informed at CES, the C23 camera will be for the H2 (consumer) aircraft. Realsense will be available for the H2. Realsense will not be available for the H520 (long story but I understand the underlying issues with software vs hardware and don't think I need to explain it, simply put, no, for the 520). 920 (since I mentioned it at the top), no one had any info on the 920, nothing about software, firmware, etc.

Long story short, if you think the Typhoon H currently, should be able to fly the E90, E50, ET(2), feel free to try and figure out how to write the firmware to get a Mavlink protocol to communicate with the Typhoon H. Typhoon H has been out for more than two years. I remember when Intel was dropping a new version of the Pentium series at least every 180 days (I also remember when the first 1 Gb HDD released). It's older technology (I don't see Intel supporting the Pentium III anymore).

So at this point, feel free to post your one millionth, "I want the E90 for my Typhoon H!" Or "I want DataPilot for my Typhoon H!"

Without raising a fuss at Yuneec Headquarters, you won't get anything accomplished. And yelling at me, again, won't get anything accomplished.

Huge thanks for sharing this info with us Bob.

I believe the whole fuss and complains are present here and there because of Yuneec's lack of "stable info". What I mean is that, for example, one of their emplyees says to us on the telephone that E90 will be compatible with the H480, and the other Yuneec staff member says it will not. So this whole mess (at least in my humble opinion) is created by Yuneec misinforming us all the time, or giving no information at all. While I do understand that they do not want to give too many promises too soon, but they can't reveal the product and give very little info to their customers or even worse - give wrong info. So my only complaint is that Yuneec should talk to us a little more and most importantly give accurate info.

I also do understand that Yuneec probably won't see what I wrote here, that is why I sent them a message too :)

Again, big thanks for the intel, Bob.

Someone in another thread said a Yuneec rep mentioned a price of $1150 US. Ugggh. Hope not.

I have been advised the MSRP of US$1000
However I was also told that it could change by the time April comes around.

And anyway. Why should it be so much less then the E90?
At $1250 you are getting a new drone for $550 extra.

I remember someone at Yuneec once said the CGO-ET would be compatible with the 520. History has already shown how that worked out...

Bob, Just so you know, I was aware the 920 was done before I made my purchase decision. I have no regrets:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Haydn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval