Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI's get Airsense...

Reaction score
Well I massively dislike them as a company, but it's hard not to credit this as a very good idea, and a serious leap forward in sky-sharing safety. Advance warning of approaching aircraft using the ADS-B signals that aircraft will transmit. Fitted to all their 250g+ UAVs from next year apparently, and moreso, a legal requirement for all manned aviation to fit the tech by next year too if they don't already have it...

Last edited:
So, when, do we think, will Yuneec be doing something similar !? :)

So, when, do we think, will Yuneec be doing something similar !? :)
Won't it be region dependant? There will be some uncertainty in the UK with whatever regulations they follow after Brexit. What is classified as manned? One person? What about microlights and similar? How much is this going to cost a private owner, it could take years to fit all if ever. Or will it just be airliners etc? Would Yuneec offer it as a retrofit, or just on their professional line, and new models. They've been slow on other innovations, so I suspect they will be a bit late to the party!

My bet is yuneec wont do it anytime soon. I would expect more than a year after there is an actual consumer product on the market by someone else.

If you fly under 400 ft you should never have to worry about it. Its just a reason to charge a lot more for there drones. Corporate GREED

Reactions: Elminte
If you fly under 400 ft you should never have to worry about it. Its just a reason to charge a lot more for there drones. Corporate GREED

In my (admittedly only 7 yr) experience that is not the case. I'd say as often as half of the times I fly I see some form of manned aircraft flying at what I estimate to be a fair way under their prescribed 500 ft minimum, causing me legitimate concern if I am anywhere near the top of my available legal altitude... I have lost count of the amount of panoramas I have had to abandon because some low flying 1 seater came over the horizon that looked to be in potential conflict with what is supposed to be our airspace. I for one would appreciate any advance warning of approaching craft and even more so an accurate readout of their reported altitude, both for situational awareness, and so that I had some mechanism for confirming their height, and reporting it, with evidence, to the relevant authorities if it is under what it should be, which I suspect I would find to be the case alarmingly often !

For those wondering I am never flying anywhere near an airport or in any location that would require planes to be under 500 ft.

And it's even worse with helicopters, who don't seem to have any altitude-based rules at all as far as I can see ! I routinely see Army Chinooks for example, flying over local beauty spots at as little as 200 ft AGL, sometimes even below the ridge-line of the very hill I am standing on, and only just off to one side or other ! Fortunately they are insanely loud machines, so I almost always hear them coming way before I see them, but they lead to the same, if not more panicky moments as planes do. Every time I hear one and I have a machine in the air I have no trust or reassurance at all (other than visual confirmation and even that ain't great!) that it will be not in conflict with my machine...

And of course they all move so fast you have but mere seconds, or fractions of a second to locate, analyse trajectories, decide and take action if needed. It's not enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elminte
Do helicopters have the same rules as other aircraft?
Does the military have the same rules as other aircraft during routine flights?

ADS-B only works effectively when all aircraft are fitted with ADS/B. As the law mandating the use of ADS-B in 2020 does not require ALL aircraft to possess ADS-B there is a massive hole in the promise of increased safety when flying in uncontrolled airspace as under the law ADS-B is not required there. It’s pretty hard for an ADS-B IN equipped aircraft to provide a warning when an approaching aircraft is not equipped with ADS-B OUT. There’s also a tremendous question concerning the accuracy of DJI’s ADS-B equipment as it has not been certified by the FAA and not installed by a certified avionics technician or facility. Finally, ADS-B is not required for multirotors as our government is developing our own remote ID system, one that won’t overwhelm existing ATC services.

Do helicopters have the same rules as other aircraft?
Sometimes, depends on the situation.

Does the military have the same rules as other aircraft during routine flights?
Sometimes, depends on the situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval