Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do NOT calibrate your compass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he is more experienced than the engineers who designed the H and tell you to do a calibration? Hmmm? Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration ! If you do the calibration correctly and make sure you get the okay lights, then it is good to go! I would guess 80% or more on this forum did a out of box calibration, like I did and have had no issues! That recommendation to not do a calibration could lead to "Many" more issues and crashes!;)

I guess he is more experienced than the engineers who designed the H and tell you to do a calibration? Hmmm? Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration ! If you do the calibration correctly and make sure you get the okay lights, then it is good to go! I would guess 80% or more on this forum did a out of box calibration, like I did and have had no issues! That recommendation to not do a calibration could lead to "Many" more issues and crashes!;)
Ofcourse you should calibrate! The poblem is that many H owners do it in a wrong way! Calibrate and do it RIGHT! And you avoid crashes! As simple as that!

Reactions: DroneClone
If the H has been calibrated already and gps is working correctly then you could skip it. Too many ifs in my book. I have had a fly away. Not a Yuneec tho.

Last edited:
Interesting, I have not calibrated the past 3 I have had. Yuneec tech also told me not to calibrate unless I experience an issue. I have traveled to 3 states and never had an issue. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Reactions: HeliMoto
I posted in a previous thread that I noticed that those who calibrated their compass many times eventually ended up with the toilet bowl drifting syndrome. Normally, one should only calibrate a compass if the drone will not retain a GPS signal and will not hold still in a hover (IMU conflicts). Same is true after a firmware update. If there is no change in performance, no need to recalibrate. If the compass magnet moves slightly within the drone during a compass calibration, it could then lead to future drone drifting issues. Not saying that this happens in the Typhoon, but anything is possible especially since the Typhoon requires that you spin it many times.

Reactions: Intruder two
Here we go again. Someone, let alone an "expert" makes a video and it becomes "truth" because it feeds into peoples fears and/or ignorance...

Here again is a great article on what these calibrations do and why you should do it - The How and Why of Drone Calibration | Agribotix

And here is an image with Magnetic Declination - it visually explains why some people may not have to do a compass calibration cause if its true that Yuneec test flies every Multi-rotor first and its done in Kalifornia (notice the date on the map, its there because Magnetic Declination does change over time)... http://compassdude.com/i/declination-us.png

As a Engineer who writes software/firmware, and creates release notes, I know better than to believe that my "H" or any drone is perfect out of the box and the software/firmware it came with is the safest one to use... I also trust Engineers when they tell me to do this or that cause they are the ones that designed/built the product. Are they always right? Do they always get it right? Of course not, but personally, I'll take that chance and contact Yuneec if what they told me or gave me does not work.. Not to do it, is just asking for problems...

Normally, one should only calibrate a compass if the drone will not retain a GPS signal ...

Not Correct! The state of calibration of the compass has nothing to do with the ability of the GPS to lock onto the proper number of satellites. The compass and GPS do, however, work together. There is a good primer on compass calibration on another site Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer. While it was written for DJI owners, it is applicable to any system with a compass. Just substitute Yuneec specifics for DJI specifics when reading.

A lot of you state, just fly it and if it fly's good, do not do a calibrate! Tell that to the guy who takes it up first flight to 10 feet and has it slam into a tree/building or drops like a rock!.
If you are not wanting to calibrate it out of the box, don't do it, if you want to then do it ! It is ALL YOUR CHOICES ! One tech tells me to do it, one tells you not too! **** half the techs at Yunnec were hired of the street and when you call them say "Wait One Moment, then you hear them flipping through their handy quick trouble shoot pamphlet, or hear them ask the guy/gal next to them and ask them for help. I have heard them !, because they have not a clue! IT IS YOUR CHOICE !;)
I for one did it out of the box, and do it whenever I travel far(100 + miles) to a new location, I think China or even California, for a lot of us, Is far away!

Last edited:
Not Correct! The state of calibration of the compass has nothing to do with the ability of the GPS to lock onto the proper number of satellites. The compass and GPS do, however, work together. There is a good primer on compass calibration on another site Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer. While it was written for DJI owners, it is applicable to any system with a compass. Just substitute Yuneec specifics for DJI specifics when reading.
Great explanation of Calibrating your Compass and when/or when not too!;)

A lot of you state, just fly it and if it fly's good, do not do a calibrate! Tell that to the guy who takes it up first flight to 10 feet and has it slam into a tree/building or drops like a rock!.
If you are not wanting to calibrate it out of the box, don't do it, if you want to then do it ! It is ALL YOUR CHOICES ! One tech tells me to do it, one tells you not too! **** half the techs at Yunnec were hired of the street and when you call them say "Wait One Moment, then you hear them flipping through their handy quick trouble shoot pamphlet, or hear them ask the guy/gal next to them and ask them for help. I have heard them !, because they have not a clue! IT IS YOUR CHOICE !;)

So now we're at "It is your choice!" versus "Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration!"

My take is that this "hobby" has too much anecdotal, non-sourced evidence/opinion.

Reactions: QuadBart and JohnL
So now we're at "It is your choice!" versus "Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration!"

My take is that this "hobby" has too much anecdotal, non-sourced evidence/opinion.
Hey Bud, I made a statement that you are "TOLD" to do one, from DJI,Yuneec,Walkera, you name it! I am not going to sit here and argue with half of you guys/gals to do one or not!, Do it and be SAFE, Don't and one day maybe pay the price! It is YOUR choice, because I AM NOT going to argue the point with anyone! There is much information on the web that will give you facts, one is right above you!:mad:

Reactions: Reasty and abinder
Hey Bud, I made a statement that you are "TOLD" to do one, from DJI,Yuneec,Walkera, you name it! I am not going to sit here and argue with half of you guys/gals to do one or not!, Do it and be SAFE, Don't and one day maybe pay the price! It is YOUR choice, because I AM NOT going to argue the point with anyone! There is much information on the web that will give you facts, one is right above you!:mad:

No need to get defensive. The "fact" link you reference, while well written, is by a user, not a manufacturer or engineer. Like I said most of this info is anecdotal. It would be nice if the manufactures would come up with something definitive.

Reactions: QuadBart
No need to get defensive. The "fact" link you reference, while well written, is by a user, not a manufacturer or engineer. Like I said most of this info is anecdotal. It would be nice if the manufactures would come up with something definitive.
Not defending(defensive) of the need to do/or not do, but you quoted my post to show lack of facts!. I have studied and been flying compass/gps platforms since the day they were produced, I am not a expert in no shape or forum, But trial and error and research has given me more info than someone telling me to not do one! I understand you are looking for cold hard facts to make a informative decision, and I agree with you! It is out there for us all, but can you get all to agree? Never!;)

I don't think Yuneec have ever said when the calbration is required whereas DJI have. I once asked Eric Cheng from Skypixel.org about compass and IMU calibration as he travels frequently with DJI kit and he said he only ever calibrated if the DJI GO app suggested he should. I found that quite interesting.

I don't think Yuneec have ever said when the calbration is required whereas DJI have. I once asked Eric Cheng from Skypixel.org about compass and IMU calibration as he travels frequently with DJI kit and he said he only ever calibrated if the DJI GO app suggested he should. I found that quite interesting.
sdharris, you are correct that Yuneec in manual does not state to do one, but ironic the very first video out by Yuneec was to do/or how to do a compass calibration!

I'm sitting here wondering so defensive. If you are complaining bout toilet bowl then calibrate everything .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval