Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone WiFi Explanation?

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance here but my H is on the way and I am trying to learn as much as I can before it arrives. This will be my first drone. So I see it supposed to have a range of about 1 mile yet it uses WiFi? I can barely get the back of my yard and my house WiFi craps out so how is the drones WiFi different?

You will probably get 2000 to 3000' in most cases where you have clear line of sight in a rural setting. Urban area have lots of interference, so you may see less. I lost wifi last nite at 4000' which I considered good. The distance wifi can stay connected depends on the antennas used, the receiver sensitivity and the amount of wifi traffic in the area.

Reactions: Simspeed
Forgive my ignorance here but my H is on the way and I am trying to learn as much as I can before it arrives. This will be my first drone. So I see it supposed to have a range of about 1 mile yet it uses WiFi? I can barely get the back of my yard and my house WiFi craps out so how is the drones WiFi different?

Yuneec uses Wifi technology in that command radio frequency is on 2.4GHz, but your modem (without going into too much tech talk) has an antennae optimized for near field, almost dome like coverage. Where as the ST16 radio to Hexcopter has a very directional antenna design.

Reactions: Simspeed
Ok so this is why changing out the Antennas on the H allow for more distance then I assume?
Yes, updating the antenna to a more directional profile with a higher gain is the trick for longer distances with less cut-out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval