Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E10Tv

You have to be careful with this, too, we're talking about still pictures, not video. Just because a radiometric camera is able to show the temperature of each one of its pixels (radiometric), does not mean that it is able to record video with the same characteristics. Keep in mind that for each frame of video would have to record all the temperature information in each of the pixels of each frame. Few cameras are capable of doing it and there I believe that it does raise the price a barbarity and I am talking about thermal cameras for drones, small factor and little weight. When I researched the subject, about 2 years ago, I didn't find one that did. Right now I don't know, but just thinking about the amount of information it has to store, it's better to look at the characteristics of the camera, which specifies it concretely. To be able to record radiometric video.

@arruntus, excellent points, fully agree, I'm not aware of any drone specific gimbal IR AR Camera assembly under the $20-25K price range that does provide TMC data. I'm uncertain as of why, but would agree weight and cost being the primary. I have seen large Hex/Octal custom builds use FLIR instruments not designed for aerial operations mounted in a gimbal that collected video data for futher analysis.

Correlating Advanced Radiometric directly with TMC file format as an available option isn't accurate. Radiometric specifies the capabilities of the "Sensor" to collect, yet the manufacture of the instrument specifies the instrument design and the output files. Most Drone specific IR Cameras are designed for live monitoring and recording the session. The manufacture of the IR Camera Gimbal hardware often includes mission program(s) that provide in-flight tools to interpret the data points and detail specifics within the image.

Regarding the ME Dual, it does include in-flight set of tools to assist in Dx the image. The ability to provide & export the recorded file on an easily extracted video format has greatly improved, in a useable modern MP4 & H264 format in-comparison to just a few years ago.... one being the CGO-ET.

@Steve Carr, if known, please provide any FLIR "aerial specific" IR Advanced Radiometric instruments that do provide TMC that can be used with the additional FLIR software advanced tools. To my knowledge TMC AR instruments were hand held devices.

Last edited:
Just as a FYI, to add to the discussion and why the 640 resolution should be considered for IR projects.

The 160x120, even when upscale to 640x480 is not suitable for mapping programs like Pix4D and others that can accept Thermo images. In addition, they won’t work with 336x256 thermo images either. The 640 is the size for not only greatest detail, but useable in several 3rd party programs.

Another reason to hold off and obtain the E10Tv 640 or other IR 640 NR or AR, if desiring multiple IR tangents to consider.

For additional info... if wanting more to read, the following is addition info on the Lepton 3.5 Radiometric sensor within the ME Dual.

https://www.flir.com/globalassets/imported-assets/document/lepton-3-3.5-datasheet.pdf

https://www.flir.com/globalassets/imported-assets/document/flir-lepton-engineering-datasheet.pdf

I called FLIR directly, and a rep confirmed that per the specs listed on vertigo drones E10Tv listing it must be a Boson sensor. ADDITIONALLY it is fully spec'd for Radiometrics in its current build state, BUT DO NOT confuse that with ready to upgrade. Radiometrics are and have been planned for this platform, with potential release in Q4 2019. Boson/E10Tv sold today will likely NOT be upgradable (certainly not with a simple firmware patch) due to rebuild cost concerns.

Attachments

• Boson datasheet, 102-2013-40, Rev 320.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Dougcjohn
I called FLIR directly, and a rep confirmed that per the specs listed on vertigo drones E10Tv listing it must be a Boson sensor. ADDITIONALLY it is fully spec'd for Radiometrics in its current build state, BUT DO NOT confuse that with ready to upgrade. Radiometrics are and have been planned for this platform, with potential release in Q4 2019. Boson/E10Tv sold today will likely NOT be upgradable (certainly not with a simple firmware patch) due to rebuild cost concerns.
Now that makes total logical sense, I'd assume the E10T would be offered in a model with the AR sensor as an optional version after the rollout.
Knowing what's involved in manufacturing & costs of an AR sensor, providing an AR sensor within camera being sold as NR didn't make any logical or practical business sense.

Great to get verification on the model of sensor too. Interesting & Great to read it's a Boson instead of the Tau2. I think the Tau2 is being replaced. Little snippet from FLIR article: Smaller than the Tau2 core, and double the size of the Lepton core, Boson is the first thermal camera core to incorporate a sophisticated, low-power multi-core vision processor unit that helps make Boson the smartest thermal core on the planet.

Technologically, that places the E10Tv-R ahead of the Zenmuse XT2 (current Version 1) that uses the Tau2 Sensor. Knowing the cost of a XT2 Radiometric, anxious to see the cost of a E10Tv-R 640.

Reactions: UniqueH+
Any bets, estimates?
The E10Tv 640 is what... about $7,500 to $8,000.
I'll guess the E10TvR 640 comes in around $11,000 to $12,000.

Well, I wouldn't tell you you're out of line. For my disproportionate. For that money I mount a new drone with the Flir Duo Pro or some similar, there are better. But we can say the same about DJI...........

Well, I wouldn't tell you you're out of line. For my disproportionate. For that money I mount a new drone with the Flir Duo Pro or some similar, there are better. But we can say the same about DJI...........
I'd totally agree, the gimbal integrated IR cameras are over-priced. They justify that on the integration designs... I've had a few so- called discussions with DJI Reps.

There are both physical and software advantages to a fully integrated system, but it has to be weighed on personal value.

I haven't pulled the trigger on desired units yet. Have lower cost hand held and considering the Flir One Pro for phone. But been waiting on drone option after initially hearing rumors sometime back the H520 would get a 640 class camera.

An older nice model that still surprises me, the XT-R 640 15mm... it's an older unit and still demands $7-9k used.

Depending on included software, the Boson E10T-R would be a top choice. The hesitation is Yuneec itself, we've experienced several rumor or planned statements that didn't produce.

Sintiendolo en el alma, la camara E10tv no se la ve ni se la espera! Que esta pasando con Yuneec?
Me parece que hasta que dji no venda todos los Mavic Interprise dual Yuneec no tendrá el sensor disponible para poder montar la camara.

Una lastima!

Introduced today... Parrot Anafi Thermal, same Lipton 3.5 Radiometric sensor as ME Dual but higher Sony 21meg RGB. Package is estimated at about $700 lower.

For a quick small, close in Thermal that can look 90 Up and 90 Down (180 degrees total), nice little package to consider for a small unit.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Last I heard was preorder in May/June and shipping sometime after that. It is open for preorder now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430