Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E90 and/or St16s problems

Yes, I understand you, but the reality is that we have today in all this type of electronic devices with batteries of this type a charge and discharge controller or BMS/PCB/PCM. You put energy on one side and you take it out on the other, so that energy always goes through the battery so yes, you are forcing the battery for a use for which it is normally not prepared. The same thing happens in mobile phones and many other devices with batteries of this type. There is not really a bypass that allows the energy it consumes to pass through and the rest that is missing or over goes to the battery.

P.D.: The electronic devices that allow you to do this usually specify it. I have a phone gimbal that allows it, or some sports camera also in its characteristics indicates it, and they do it as an added feature and to my understanding very good although the opposite is the most usual, they are not prepared for it.

Now that @arruntus has mentioned this, I have a little Bluetooth speaker with this little tidbit of a warning: “do not charge while in use”. Thanks to @arruntus’ explanation, now I know why.

On the other hand, I do not recall seeing such a warning any of the literature for the H, H520, or Mantis Q. I also have to admit I did, basically, read the manuals cover to cover, when I first received the units.

Can anyone else vouch as to reading, or not seeing, such a disclaimer?

Would be a nice bit of knowledge to have confirmed, as to the capabilities or limitations of the charging circuit and battery interface of our controllers.

Jeff

Now that @arruntus has mentioned this, I have a little Bluetooth speaker with this little tidbit of a warning: “do not charge while in use”. Thanks to @arruntus’ explanation, now I know why.

On the other hand, I do not recall seeing such a warning any of the literature for the H, H520, or Mantis Q. I also have to admit I did, basically, read the manuals cover to cover, when I first received the units.

Can anyone else vouch as to reading, or not seeing, such a disclaimer?

Would be a nice bit of knowledge to have confirmed, as to the capabilities or limitations of the charging circuit and battery interface of our controllers.

Jeff
There may be some disclaimer needed that this is bad as a common practice, but if you are in a bind there is nothing wrong with using an external battery as a supplemental power source. In my experience it will not charge the battery, but will maintain the level if it gets low. Also, the units will not function without the battery in them meaning that there is no direct circuitry from the charge port to the device. It all flows through the battery.

Reactions: Mike Irish
but if you are in a bind there is nothing wrong with using an external battery as a supplemental power source.

Not to argue or anything, but that's not right, there is something wrong because you force the battery. Another thing is that you assume that extra damage because it is necessary but what I wanted to transmit with my comment is not that nothing bad happens, it is quite the opposite, there is damage that makes the battery life to be reduced quickly, that is, much faster than not doing it.

Now, it turns out that we suffer from a malfunction because when the voltage drops it doesn't work properly and there is no choice but to connect an external power source while it is running, okay, we want it to work and therefore we do, we assume that we have no choice but to also assume that we are causing a damage to the battery. It costs 65 euros I seem to remember when I bought it, I have it in reserve for when there are many flights in a row and I have barely used it. Let's remember that they are not eternal, even if they are not used, because of old age, they also degrade and that is why it is so important to know the year of manufacture. It is more important to be informed and make the decision than not knowing the right information.

And now the root of the problem is Yuneec again, and I wonder, when they put this product on the market, they didn't know that it suffered from this defect? I'm sure they did. I will not comment further ?

I sent everything to yuneec... Once I got news I'll share it with you....
I only hope it is not intrinsic to the transmitter. It may be some blown resistors or capacitor....I don't want to belive they under-sized a 70€ battery.....
I did not think checking the voltage at 35% battery.. Can someone have a look?

My understanding is rightly or wrongly. If I connect my power band to my tranny and then turn it on the draw will be on the two batteries? In this way we would alleviate the problem of drawing power from the main tranny battery that is probably only one quarter full. And yes I DO think it it's bat to connect a fully charger the external battery while drawing dower from an almost depleted battery. I hope I am right in thinking that??
Mike

My understanding is rightly or wrongly. If I connect my power band to my tranny and then turn it on the draw will be on the two batteries? In this way we would alleviate the problem of drawing power from the main tranny battery that is probably only one quarter full. And yes I DO think it it's bat to connect a fully charger the external battery while drawing dower from an almost depleted battery. I hope I am right in thinking that??
Mike

In principle it does not matter how much the battery is charged or discharged, which also matters. In the end it is a chemical process that is meant to go one way, either by charging or discharging. When you connect an external source to it both processes occur and that is what makes it suffer the most. The few devices that allow its simultaneous operation use a system apart from the protection of loading or unloading that allows to make a kind of bypass and avoids that problem that we commented.

But we do not have to worry so much, in this case it is necessary to connect an external power source????? ... so we have no choice but to do so and we must think that unfortunately we will have to change the battery before time. There is no other.

Sorry, fellas, I didn't think this was going to be so confrontational. Anyway, personally, I prefer to be informed :confused:

Hi again pilots ...... its been a while. How everyones doing ? Not sure if i should keep typing here or in a new thread .

Anyways , i have got my h520 back from yueec few days ago . The Solution is : The problem will be solved with the next update ..... i have no words .... and guess what ...... i'm sending back the tx beacuse they messed j2 /j3 up .... a lot of good news :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: arruntus
Hi again pilots ...... its been a while. How everyones doing ? Not sure if i should keep typing here or in a new thread .

Anyways , i have got my h520 back from yueec few days ago . The Solution is : The problem will be solved with the next update ..... i have no words .... and guess what ...... i'm sending back the tx beacuse they messed j2 /j3 up .... a lot of good news :mad:

How are j2 and j3 messed up?

Someone here may have suggestions before resorting to a send back...

How are j2 and j3 messed up?

Someone here may have suggestions before resorting to a send back...

i have tried everything ...... not know what happen .. it was perfect and it came back this way ..... i am not able to calibrate it .. at all . moving it (j3) will result in a really slow come back of the pointer to 0 ( rc monitor) .. not reaching 100 at the ends ( both ways)
and if i move j2, j3 will also move

i have tried everything ...... not know what happen .. it was perfect and it came back this way ..... i am not able to calibrate it .. at all . moving it (j3) will result in a really slow come back of the pointer to 0 ( rc monitor) .. not reaching 100 at the ends ( both ways)
and if i move j2, j3 will also move
Sorry to here this! Nothing like waiting to get an answer to wait. Did you happen to note the serial number of the ST16? Is it the same one. They did a switch-a-roo on me one time, but luckily it worked just fine. Maybe they found something wrong with mine? I only noticed because my projects weren't on there and then saw the serial was different.

Sorry to here this! Nothing like waiting to get an answer to wait. Did you happen to note the serial number of the ST16? Is it the same one. They did a switch-a-roo on me one time, but luckily it worked just fine. Maybe they found something wrong with mine? I only noticed because my projects weren't on there and then saw the serial was different.
Did not check that, but im prerry sure it was mine,, because i have left a mark with my daughter's uv pen ?. Another thing i did not like itwas charging time . Got it and it was at 76% , used it to check it and since i was going to check for updates i had to leave it charging over night. After 6/8hours it was just at 46% . , unplugged the battery, put it back and it showed 12% ?.... Finally afrer almost 24 hours it was 100% full.....

Did not check that, but im prerry sure it was mine,, because i have left a mark with my daughter's uv pen ?. Another thing i did not like itwas charging time . Got it and it was at 76% , used it to check it and since i was going to check for updates i had to leave it charging over night. After 6/8hours it was just at 46% . , unplugged the battery, put it back and it showed 12% ?.... Finally afrer almost 24 hours it was 100% full.....
What were you using to charge the transmitter. If you were using a phone charger well it will take forever to charge, if on the other hand you were using the Yuneec charger to charge it well you sure have a dud battery or charger.
Cheers.
Mike

What were you using to charge the transmitter. If you were using a phone charger well it will take forever to charge, if on the other hand you were using the Yuneec charger to charge it well you sure have a dud battery or charger.
Cheers.
Mike
hi Mike ... i was using the yuneec charger. i was concerning about the same thing .... was it a bad charger ?.... itried to charge a smartphone and it did charge it as a regular "old" charger .....i dont have a usb tester
I used thas same uv pen trick for the tx battery and it appear not to have the mark , but due to covid19 the could have clean everything up .

Well it's quite possible you had a bad charger as you said it appears that the did change it out? I do understand your remarks regarding cleaning but I think that they use gloves so cleaning might not be needed.
Have you got a chance to testout the your setup fully and are you happy with the service you had.
Cheers.
Mike

Well it's quite possible you had a bad charger as you said it appears that the did change it out? I do understand your remarks regarding cleaning but I think that they use gloves so cleaning might not be needed.
Have you got a chance to testout the your setup fully and are you happy with the service you had.
Cheers.
Mike
I cannot talk about timing because the covid issue , i think its not fair talking about that , but , since everything was brand new and in the mail i sent i specifed a problem on j3 ( just out of the box but fixed after 3 full calibration) , i can blame them because they did not check the tx . They must have touch it in some ways , because the shipping package was bomb proof.

I did only turn everything on bird and camera .... i did not fire the motors

I cannot talk about timing because the covid issue , i think its not fair talking about that , but , since everything was brand new and in the mail i sent i specifed a problem on j3 ( just out of the box but fixed after 3 full calibration) , i can blame them because they did not check the tx . They must have touch it in some ways , because the shipping package was bomb proof.

I did only turn everything on bird and camera .... i did not fire the motors

Yes sure we can get problems with anything. Hopefully your problems are now over and you can get out and enjoy your new bird.
Cheers.
Mike

Reactions: Max_IT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval