Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

e90 gimbal going crazy while in flight - help needed!

Hi,

so the gimbal (e90) has just arrived back from service.
I have no clue whether to run calibration prior to flying or it is not neccessary. Will you help?

Service says that they did the following: "Factory calibration is performed and some parameters adapted. Long-term test performed 20 minutes without errors or vibrations.

So my question is - would you recommend making gimbal calibration first thing after powering h520 (before flying)?

Looking forward to getting valuable hints...

Is there a chance something could go awry if flight testing before calibration? Sure, but nothing catastrophic.

Feel free to fly some test flights to see if everything is ok. Not going to do any harm.

Calibrations in the field (i.e. outside the factory or service center) are meant to match equipment to each other.

If your question is more toward “calibrate before taking on a paying job, I stand by my initial reply. Test fly first!

Good luck!

Jeff

i had the same issue that lasted on and off for 6 months, finally sent the camera away twice for repair before getting a new one.
New camera has never had the same issue.

Ugh this happened to me too and now mine is also limp, once it happened mid-flight and today it was DURING GIMBAL CALIBRATION

Can see that it is not so easy to be an h520 pilot..:(

As said the gimbal is back. I will put off tests though after I replace dumpers. Having inspected them can see that they show some leakage of whatever is inside.

I have come across numerous posts on the dumpers issues. Could anyone who emptied them from its original content and inserted foam share his/her experience? Is that a good idea?
Or are there any further developments in this regard?

Are you saying that you received the E90 back from the repair facility with leaking dampers? If that is the case, contact them and have them send a set as they should have been replaced during the repair process.

Are you saying that you received the E90 back from the repair facility with leaking dampers? If that is the case, contact them and have them send a set as they should have been replaced during the repair process.
Yes, indeed, this is what I mean. The dumpers are slightly wet/shining and they have apparently failed to notice that. Shame on them.

I have ordered new set from a Polish dealer to make it faster. My guess is that it would probably take longer to have a dispute with the service in Germany.
Anyway thanks for your advice.

• Sad
Reactions: DoomMeister
Hi there
So it happend again. Gimbal was spinning and after turning h520 off and on again it is completely dead. E90 takes pictures but does not respond to any switches and is totally idle.

Do you have a spare camera to mount to the H520 to isolate whether the camera or the aircraft is the culprit?

This is sounding a lot like the slip ring has compromised wiring or the contacts are bad for the PWM signals between the aircraft and gimbal.

Do you have a spare camera to mount to the H520 to isolate whether the camera or the aircraft is the culprit?

This is sounding a lot like the slip ring has compromised wiring or the contacts are bad for the PWM signals between the aircraft and gimbal.
Unfortunately not. Have only this particular camera.
Thanks for help.

Maybe this will give you some more insight into the problem: there were, I belive, some warnings over past year. It had happend 3 or 4 times that the camera out of the sudden happend to face upwards and had not reacted at all to the switches. After landing and taking e90 off the h520 and back had seemed to be a remedy for anumer of consecutive flights. It had also fixed itself once while still in flight so after the camera had got skewed and not responsive (like before) it had got back to full functionality prior landing. I had done several (a dozen or so) flights after that until today when it broke totally as described earlier today.

I would carefully check the contacts on the camera and the aircraft. The ones on the aircraft are spring loaded and should look like this (mine is a TH Pro but connector is the same).
8F0CC41D-61BB-46DB-9BED-AF29C5DD159D.jpeg

I would carefully check the contacts on the camera and the aircraft. The ones on the aircraft are spring loaded and should look like this (mine is a TH Pro but connector is the same).
View attachment 23602
Thx.
Checked them already. They all look perfect: clean and undemaged.

Attachments

• 20201025_152111.jpg
    20201025_152111.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201025_152104.jpg
    20201025_152104.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201025_152007.jpg
    20201025_152007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
The next thing I would check is removing the 3 screws that hold the connector to the aircraft and reseat the cable coming from the aircraft. If that makes no difference take the aircraft apart and check continuity of the cabling to the aircrafts camera connector. Not that hard to do and a lot faster and less expensive than sending back to Yuneec.

If still no joy, then most likely trouble in the camera. It should still be under warranty from the last repair by Yuneec.

The next thing I would check is removing the 3 screws that hold the connector to the aircraft and reseat the cable coming from the aircraft. If that makes no difference take the aircraft apart and check continuity of the cabling to the aircrafts camera connector. Not that hard to do and a lot faster and less expensive than sending back to Yuneec.

If still no joy, then most likely trouble in the camera. It should still be under warranty from the last repair by Yuneec.
Ok, thx.
I will try to see the connector thing tomorrow.

BTW what types of screws are these keeping the two parts of the frame together?

The camera mount is 2.0 mm hex screws (3).
The body is 1.5 mm hex screws (10).

I suspect it is an internal problem in the camera. The next step: carefully remove the 4 camera dampers and inspect the wires from the slide mount to the slip ring. Those wires are very fragile and they can be broken inside the insulation. Look for kinks in the wires where one may have gotten bent to far.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Ok, thx.
I will try to see the connector thing tomorrow.

BTW what types of screws are these keeping the two parts of the frame together?
The frame is held together with 1.5mm hex wrench (or key) and the landing gear is secured with 2.0mm hex. I keep a small set in my carrying case for the TH.
AE8A79DD-062B-444F-A0C6-36FE772BA317.jpeg

The frame is further secured with small plastic tabs on either side of the arms. Be careful in unlatching/latching them to avoid breaking them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Irish
I checked wiring on the connector plate today. Everything looks ok.
I have also decided to send the gimbal for repair. Discussed the issue with a serviceman the other day and he expected it was the gimbal internal problem.

I hope this will solve the problem. I am not sure I have capacity to take the drone apart.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input.

Attachments

• 20201030_104939.jpg
    20201030_104939.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201030_104903.jpg
    20201030_104903.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201030_104527.jpg
    20201030_104527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Members online