Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Engines keep running after crash - whatch out !!!

These aircraft (I prefer not to call them birds ) are capable of sensing when they are in motion. Having programming in the aircraft that stops the motors after a certain period of time with no vertical or horizontal motion should be an easy thing to do.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I edited my reply to highlight exactly what I was referring to.

Maybe something was lost in translation?

No worries, regardless.

Jeff

Don't be surprised, you know that I and the English have a relationship of love and hate at the same time xDDDDDDDDDdddddd

If I don't understand you right, my apologies, mate.

We must remember that it would actually be stupid if this bird would stop propellers instantly after any collision since it is or as they claim will be able to fly with even four rotors working. We got the bird down and on the plus side is that the battery was still at 25% so it is still in the game. one propellerarm fully broken, another fractured, one landinggear and the pad above it torn off and the E90's antenna has fallen off. Two propellers have been demolished totally off leaving only their centerpieces on ad two other are broken. Some more damage may be found when inspected properly. I'm quite ready to leave that **** thing for someone other's duty and pain when repaired.

This is what I am referring to, but I also agree with what Phaedrus says. We as pilots should be able to skip that system and make an emergency shutdown.

I agree with the total controll ! Like you arm your birdy, you should be able to disarm it, in whatever situation, even when flying ... You cannot imagine what could happen and maybe would prefer having your bird falling down, then, ...

These aircraft (I prefer not to call them birds ) are capable of sensing when they are in motion. Having programming in the aircraft that stops the motors after a certain period of time with no vertical or horizontal motion should be an easy thing to do.

As would exceeding a maximum angle of bank or pitch, which is read by the accelerometers. All multirotors limit angle to some degree, with that degree limit also placing a cap on top speed. More bank angle allows more speed. So any angular tilt that exceeds the programmed maximum by “X” percent could easily be used as a motor cut off switch.

Rotorcraft do not have the same stall characteristics as a fixed wing. On rotorcraft the issue is retreating blade stall. Since most MR do not have the motors in synch I don't think anything like critical angle of attack of the retreating blades would apply. Quad racers are fully capable of extreme deck angles without compromising total lift.

Having said that, the concept of using the aircraft angle as another indicator to shut down makes sense.

I had some serious injuries after my H520 lightly crashed, but the motors were not cutoff. Whatch out what you do in such situation.
I had a rotor hurting my finger. It was not turning, but, while lifting the drone, it started.

Be very carefull and, weir gloves, or, let it deplete it's battery to be sure !

I will not provide you any pictures as they would be retracted (horror) :)

@Yuneec. Please make your engines to be cutoff after whatever failure, as they are unpredictable and results in a very dangerous situation. I don't want to think of a child finding a Yuneec H520 that has crashed and still operational in this unpredictable state.

PS : Retracting the battery is also a solution, but not very easy, as you have to slide your hands between the properellars. The on-off button did not work either.
I tried pulling a Ken Heron ( catch in mid air )a couple of days ago , at least after the latest update , the red kill switch does not work in midflight (good thing) you have to bring the throttle stick all the way down until the motors stop ,just as if you were landing.

I tried pulling a Ken Heron ( catch in mid air )a couple of days ago , at least after the latest update , the red kill switch does not work in midflight (good thing) you have to bring the throttle stick all the way down until the motors stop ,just as if you were landing.

Problem is, the red kill switch IS supposed to work in mid-flight. There is an emergency shut off procedure with the H520. I think the video is included in the sticky thread for H520 procedures.

I think I recall it being three pulses of the red button. (Using my phone so cannot multi window to check so easily. Or I’m just lazy at the moment.)

It needs to work whether or not the aircraft is in the air or not. Perhaps this is a necessary enhancement to the code.

Jeff

Problem is, the red kill switch IS supposed to work in mid-flight. There is an emergency shut off procedure with the H520. I think the video is included in the sticky thread for H520 procedures.

I think I recall it being three pulses of the red button. (Using my phone so cannot multi window to check so easily. Or I’m just lazy at the moment.)

It needs to work whether or not the aircraft is in the air or not. Perhaps this is a necessary enhancement to the code.

Jeff

The emergency stop worked with the H520. I remember talking about it in the forum. And we talk about the same things that we are talking about now. At some point they have disabled that option.

Rotorcraft do not have the same stall characteristics as a fixed wing. On rotorcraft the issue is retreating blade stall. Since most MR do not have the motors in synch I don't think anything like critical angle of attack of the retreating blades would apply. Quad racers are fully capable of extreme deck angles without compromising total lift.

Having said that, the concept of using the aircraft angle as another indicator to shut down makes sense.

I was referring to “deck” angle not rotor AOA. Those racing quads ate permitted to obtain those steep deck angles because of the way their FC’s are programmed as high speeds are not obtainable unless and until the deck angle is tilted in a manner that allows the rotors to direct more of their thrust towards the lateral direction of flight. Slow lateral flight, less tilt. Higher speeds make use of progressively more tilt along with increased rotor speeds.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Yep, I got that but got lost a bit in explaining things. I had another thread going elsewhere talking about stalling a MR. I'm old, sometimes the wires get crossed :eek:

Bottom line is they could absolutely build in a means to automatically kill the motors under certain conditions that exceed normal flight.

BTW - stop calling me an engineer!! I'm a geologist by profession. But admit that I am also a licensed amateur radio operator and played around in the operation of underwater nuclear power plants when I was a wee lad!!

It's amazing however when I look at where we are now compared to some of the firstRC helicopters I flew back in the late '80s. Mechanical rate gyros on the tail, and we thought we were living large!!

Indeed. I used to fly with Larry Jolly and many of his early RC helicopter flights could be described at the very least as high risk. But he persevered and became quite successful with them.

Indeed. I used to fly with Larry Jolly and many of his early RC helicopter flights could be described at the very least as high risk. But he persevered and became quite successful with them.

Larry and I are very good friends. He's had some tough health issues the last few years, but still hanging in there. He flies mostly gliders these days. He was a pioneer in helis, that's for sure!! And when you say high risk, I'm sure you mean to the heli, not the public ;)

Yes, the helis. I first met Larry after joining the soaring club he was in at the time, Harbor Soaring Society, that generally flew at Estancia H.S. Must have been around 1978 or so. You prolly know of the club. Sorry to learn of his health issues. He was a truly affable person when I knew him.

If and when you see him again ask if he remembers some of his old fixed wing accuracy antics, like impromptu contests to see who could dive their plane into a trash barrel. Those were hilarious[emoji15][emoji4] Junk planes with old junk equipment on one way flights. There was some other fun stuff but they run afoul of society’s current view of fun so they’ll not be mentioned further. The guy could fly anything, and do it well.

Last edited:
Yes, the helis. I first met Larry after joining the soaring club he was in at the time, Harbor Soaring Society, that generally flew at Estancia H.S. Must have been around 1978 or so. You prolly know of the club. Sorry to learn of his health issues. He was a truly affable person when I knew him.

HSS is still going. They are within the Class C forSNA, but they have an agreement to operate. They have also allowed electric planes there for the last few years. Need a City permit to fly there.

If and when you see him again ask if he remembers some of his old fixed wing accuracy antics, like impromptu contests to see who could dive their plane into a trash barrel. Those were hilarious[emoji15][emoji4] Junk planes with old junk equipment on one way flights. There was some other fun stuff but they run afoul of society’s current view of fun so they’ll not be mentioned further. The guy could fly anything, and do it well.

He was an amazing pilot. Did a lot of the early RC model work in movies too.He lives on an avocado farm down in Fallbrook now. I may see him at a soaring contest later on in February. I'll say hey for you.

Thanks. If he asks, I was the young, skinny guy with little money putting a lot of expectations in a Square Soar 72 but giving it all a go anyway. It was all very much worth it.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss