Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Epic Near Miss with Helicopter...

Reaction score
I did a search, and don't think this has been posted here yet... mods pls delete this if it has ! But for anyone who hasn't seen it - there's been another one...

As usual excellent analysis from the Droning On channel there...

Maximum scary how fast it goes from 'speck in distance' to right on top of it (or underneath it in this case)... it seems the pilot doesn't even try to react, but wouldn't have had time to do anything meaningful even if he saw the heli when it was 2 pixels on his screen... I mean, sure, he could have dragged left and done either a hard rise or descend, but I don't think he had time to work out whether the heli was above or below, left or right of him, so any decision / action here would have been little better than pot luck...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tammo and Ol'Fart
IT'S NOT IF, IT'S WHEN IT WILL COST LIVES!
Very frustrating to see and hear about these irresponsible people.
ec3fb59992c2e3038a0eedd914d4b674.jpg

Just another case of an idiot ignoring the rules. Definitely not VLOS by the pilot’s own admission. I haven’t looked at a sectional chart for the area, but I’m guessing there are probably a half dozen heliports within 3 miles of the multirotor’s position. Tourist and law enforcement helicopters are the norm along beaches and they are much lower than 400 ft most of the time. This is discounting that the flight took place within controlled airspace and most likely was not cleared through airport authorities.

Reactions: AH-1G
Here's another one:

**** helicopter came out of no where......... as we all know. There is no cure for stupidity and unfortunately stupid people can still make enough money to buy drones. This is where professionals(part 107 pilots) and responsible recreational pilots need to help enforce the law. I am a part 107 pilot for a very large fire department, while we we operating a UAV at one of our scenes a little tiny DJI mavic pro took off and started to film the fire.. The UAV then proceeded to orbit the our Hoverfly Live sky... forcing us to land our UAV. We reported the incident and had both the FAA and Local PD investigating the incident. The flight and footage from that rogue drone were broadcasted to citizens app. Still waiting for an arrest. The important thing to take from this story is the largest fire department in the USA, working in conjunction with the FAA and the largest Police department in the USA, still amounted in zero arrest. So what do you think that drone operator will do the next time a fire is going on in his area? To have compliance to the rules there needs to be enforcement...If you don’t get in trouble for breaking the rules are there really rules at all?

Reactions: PatR
[snip]...If you don’t get in trouble for breaking the rules are there really rules at all?
That's my beef with relation to some recreational pilots doing jobs for money in the U.K. It is against the law for anyone doing that without a PfCO in the U.K. but the practice is rife and is killing it for the small independent PfCO holder here. Indeed, I did seriously consider chucking it all in because of that. (I have since started to shoot videos for a mainstream news media production company so I do get work now). But I can honestly say that I know of zero instances where anyone has been brought to book for doing paid work without a permission from the CAA.

The rules are clear. No payment or consideration for work with a drone without a PfCO. But the CAA clearly does not enforce that rule as far as I can see...so that make s the rule worthless. Only when that rule is enforced will it have any impact.

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval