Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ESC Problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a problem with one motor, the left one, and after various tests, even inverting the motors between them, I understood that the problem was with the ESC, I found a motherboard on ebay sold as new even if it doesn't seem like it to me, post the photo in particular there is a solder that does not convince me, however I replaced the motherboard and everything seems to work as before. I have some questions for the experts, I cleaned up the soldering on the track by removing the excess tin but I don't know if I did it right and maybe I weakened the track due to the current involved which seems to be a lot. Second, is it possible to repair or have my original motherboard repaired?

Attachments

• cleaned_101.JPG
    cleaned_101.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Mine.JPG
    Mine.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Yours.JPG
    Yours.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 19
  • Evidence.JPG
    Evidence.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi everyone, I had a problem with one motor, the left one, and after various tests, even inverting the motors between them, I understood that the problem was with the ESC, I found a motherboard on ebay sold as new even if it doesn't seem like it to me, post the photo in particular there is a solder that does not convince me, however I replaced the motherboard and everything seems to work as before. I have some questions for the experts, I cleaned up the soldering on the track by removing the excess tin but I don't know if I did it right and maybe I weakened the track due to the current involved which seems to be a lot. Second, is it possible to repair or have my original motherboard repaired?
I'm not an expert. Especially not on electronic circuits. But I checked two "salvage" Typhoon H mainboards and got the same results on each one. On these two boards, all four solder plates are electrically connected, and they are connected to the positive battery cable and the solder plate next to it. I suppose it is possible these mainboards somehow have identical damage, but probably not.

Were you experiencing some problem that you believed was related to the solder pads?

I'm not an expert. Especially not on electronic circuits. But I checked two "salvage" Typhoon H mainboards and got the same results one each one. On these two boards, all four solder plates are electrically connected, and they are connected to the positive battery cable and the solder plate next to it. I suppose it is possible these mainboards somehow have identical damage, but probably not.

Were you experiencing some problem that you believed was related to the solder pads?
No, sorry maybe I explained myself badly, my motherboard is the one with the clean solder, but I had a problem with the left motor and it was due to its ESC then investigating better I discovered that its fuse was blown. in the meantime I had already bought another mother board on ebay and it's the one in the photo that has the solder that shorts the two adjacent tracks and I don't think it was new but repaired and in any case this works and has no problems. Testing them with the multimeter, the four tracks are all in parallel with the positive battery cable.

......Testing them with the multimeter, the four tracks are all in parallel with the positive battery cable.
Già. È quello che ho detto. O almeno quello che stavo cercando di dire. Avrei dovuto sapere che non avrei dovuto comunicare un messaggio tramite un traduttore linguistico quando non so nemmeno come indirizzarlo correttamente nella mia lingua.
Le mie scuse, e da qui in poi ne starò fuori.

Yup. That's what I said. Or at least what I was trying to say. I should have known better than to communicate a message via language translator when I don't even know how to address it correctly in my own language.
My apologies, and I will stay out of it from here.

Sorry
but i don't kwon to have understood You, I'm italian and off course i use an automatic language traslation because my english it' not very good. but what I have to do? I have to syay out from forum? I believed that the forum was open by everybody.
This time I didn't use an automatic traslation

NO! NO! You are most welcome in the Forum!!
The Fault was mine. My comments of going away were about myself.
Your use of English is much better than my use of Italian.

NO! NO! Siete i benvenuti nel Forum!
La colpa è mia. I miei commenti di andare via riguardavano me stesso.
Il tuo uso dell'inglese è molto migliore del mio uso dell'italiano.

NO! NO! You are most welcome in the Forum!!
The Fault was mine. My comments of going away were about myself.
Your use of English is much better than my use of Italian.

NO! NO! Siete i benvenuti nel Forum!
La colpa è mia. I miei commenti di andare via riguardavano me stesso.
Il tuo uso dell'inglese è molto migliore del mio uso dell'italiano.
Okay I didn't get it right, you know language is always a problem and I never want to be rude or disrespectful to anyone
Ok
non avevo capito bene, sai la lingua è sempre un problema e non vorrei mai essere scortese o irrespettoso verso qualcuno

The ESC has for each coil of the motor two switches, one to +Ubatt and one to -Ubatt.
If a coil is defect or one of the MOSFET is burned then the other switch makes a shortcut and burn too. The fuse (or in newer boards the 0.1Ohm resistor) will burn to protect the battery.

Edit: Also the MOSFET driver may have a problem and both MOSFETs are switched on at the same time, then there is also a shortcut. This may be a timing problem in switching for a very short time, but this is enough to fire up this stuff. Have an eye on the black electrolytic capacitors 330µF. They aging first...

If the resistor will be replaced it may work or not if MOSFETs are burnt. However, I would never trust the ESC anymore to bring the bird up in the air.

The 4 pads near the battery connector are made to distribute the current from plus battery on the PCB to avoid overheating. They are connected to each other and it is good to have enough tin on it.

br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
The ESC has for each coil of the motor two switches, one to +Ubatt and one to -Ubatt.
If a coil is defect or one of the MOSFET is burned then the other switch makes a shortcut and burn too. The fuse (or in newer boards the 0.1Ohm resistor) will burn to protect the battery.

Edit: Also the MOSFET driver may have a problem and both MOSFETs are switched on at the same time, then there is also a shortcut. This may be a timing problem in switching for a very short time, but this is enough to fire up this stuff. Have an eye on the black electrolytic capacitors 330µF. They aging first...

If the resistor will be replaced it may work or not if MOSFETs are burnt. However, I would never trust the ESC anymore to bring the bird up in the air.

The 4 pads near the battery connector are made to distribute the current from plus battery on the PCB to avoid overheating. They are connected to each other and it is good to have enough tin on it.

br HE
Hi H-Elsner
Thank you very much for the tips and help you have given me. Another question the 4 leads that need to have enough tin above are connected together and so I guess if the 2 that are very close also short due to tin nothing should happen right?
Grazie molto per le dritte e l'aiuto che mi hai dato.
Un'altra domanda le 4 piste che devono avere abbastanza stagno sopra sono collegate insieme e quindi suppongo se anche le 2 che sono molto vicine vanno in cortocircuito a causa dello stagno non dovrebbe succedere niente giusto?
Ciao

Reactions: DoomMeister
Hi H-Elsner
Thank you very much for the tips and help you have given me. Another question the 4 leads that need to have enough tin above are connected together and so I guess if the 2 that are very close also short due to tin nothing should happen right?
Grazie molto per le dritte e l'aiuto che mi hai dato.
Un'altra domanda le 4 piste che devono avere abbastanza stagno sopra sono collegate insieme e quindi suppongo se anche le 2 che sono molto vicine vanno in cortocircuito a causa dello stagno non dovrebbe succedere niente giusto?
Ciao
Si. Yes, that's right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio