Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Even the BIG Jumbo Jets need Compass Calibration !

Once it's calibrated on the ground, they finish the final calibration with a hammerhead stall starting at 30,000 feet.;)
Hi AH-1G,
I had the misfortune of doing a hammerhead stall in a hang glider at the end of 3000 ft of rope behind a ski boat. We were towing up in a competition on a lake and the f----- ing ski rope broke at the 200 ft mark under full power from the boat. The glider hammerhead stalled and fell backwards and inverted and I fell into the sail and rolled to the rear without knowing this flipped it back upright and the guy wire ripped my helmet off and after that I landed and some one said when I sat back down it looked as though I was 4 inches taller.
I never told anyone but that was the s---t in my trousers that lifted me higher.
Ah when we are young, the fun of it.
Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the Grass.

I tried flying hang gliders twice. The results of those flights convinced me a third time would likely be fatal.

A double Hennessy for Johnno! Just for living to tell about it!

Reactions: PatR
Thank you both for the likes. But as both of you know that the hardest part to any flying is taking off and then the landing.
Just the same with our H 's taking off, revs then lift , you must have the movement of air over the wing( rotor blade) to give you lift and then you need forward movement. Ah then the landing which a lot of pilots have trouble with, face into wind and wings (rotor blades) are giving you lift then decrease the power and land. Prop wash and rotor affect from buildings etc cause the unstable landing. With clean air coming at you from the front it does make it easier. Johnno Hennessy.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Another rainy day so I was watching You tube videos and watched the
Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet Documentary - 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVSxSGHHIg
If you go to 17:35 and watch it for 10-15 seconds, you can see how they have to Per FAA
calibrate the compass.
I wonder if they have to then rotate it with the nose down ! :rolleyes:

I am going to check out this video that sounds interesting compass calibration on a big jet

When taking the Instrument Pilot flight test, a real quick way to fail the test is by not having the compass calibration sticker on the compass. The aircraft will be deemed not airworthy.

As simple as a compass is, it’s a very important piece if kit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech