Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA Part 107 Test/Recurrency go LIVE 4/6/21... Important notes . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
As of tomorrow the Part 107 Initial Knowledge Test (in person) and Recurrency Training Module (online) will go LIVE with the new materials to cover Night Flights w/o a Waiver and Operations Over People (OOP).

Let's take a quick moment to break this down.

• Tuesday 4//6/2021 Part 107 Testing/Training modules will be updated to include the NEW RULES for Part 107.
  • The NEW RULES for Part 107 don't actually go into effect until 4/21/2021.

So in a nutshell, even after you've passed the IKT or Recurrency Training Module for Part 107 you still can't USE the "privileges" of the New Rules until 4/21/2021.

4/6/21 New Testing/Training LIVE
4/21/21 New Rules for Part 107 go into EFFECT

If you'd like to read more about it here is a link to DSPA with an excellent write-up about it:

Thanks for posting Al; and I agree that is an excellent article, it lays everything out and even has links for training (when it goes live) as well as other links. It also had confirmed one of my thoughts and that is: When this goes live what will happen when everyone tries to log on. So if you don't need recurrency, give it a while - nighttime will still be there in a month or so. ;)

Reactions: BigAl07
One thing I didn't realize before I took this recurrency training is that RID will be required on drones <0.55lbs when operated under part 107. That seems unfortunate because I could see that with how much cameras have improved really small drones could have more opportunities for commercial use but the addition of a GPS and RID might limit the choices for drones this size.

One thing I didn't realize before I took this recurrency training is that RID will be required on drones <0.55lbs when operated under part 107. That seems unfortunate because I could see that with how much cameras have improved really small drones could have more opportunities for commercial use but the addition of a GPS and RID might limit the choices for drones this size.
Remote ID is still not due to go LIVE until 2023.

Do you mean FAA Registration? If yes then YES all aircraft used non-Recreational require Registration on the Commercial side of the FAA regardless of weight.

Remote ID is still not due to go LIVE until 2023.

Do you mean FAA Registration? If yes then YES all aircraft used non-Recreational require Registration on the Commercial side of the FAA regardless of weight.

I realize that RID doesn't go into effect until 2023, and the training states that somewhere. But it also states that both registration and RID are required for drones <0.55lbs when operated under part 107.

I realize that RID doesn't go into effect until 2023, and the training states that somewhere. But it also states that both registration and RID are required for drones <0.55lbs when operated under part 107.
Rid is not a requirement at this time as Al pointed out. Commercially (107) operated drones must be registered regardless of weight, and the registration of a commercially operated drone is different than recreational, in that each drone has a unique number tied to that aircraft's serial number.

Rid is not a requirement at this time as Al pointed out. Commercially (107) operated drones must be registered regardless of weight, and the registration of a commercially operated drone is different than recreational, in that each drone has a unique number tied to that aircraft's serial number.

Again, I understand that RID is not required until the rule goes into effect in a couple years. Maybe I need to edit my original post for clarity. WHEN RID is required it WILL BE REQUIRED on drones weighing <0.55lbs when operated under part 107.

Again, I understand that RID is not required until the rule goes into effect in a couple years. Maybe I need to edit my original post for clarity. WHEN RID is required it WILL BE REQUIRED on drones weighing <0.55lbs when operated under part 107.

Yes all UAS operated under Part 107 will require RID when it goes into effect if the UAS is used in OOP. OOP is where the requirement for RID resides right now. I'm not sure how it will play out later on in other scenarios. It's way too far away to be going this deep into the conversation right now IMHO.

Yes all UAS operated under Part 107 will require RID when it goes into effect if the UAS is used in OOP. OOP is where the requirement for RID resides right now. I'm not sure how it will play out later on in other scenarios. It's way too far away to be going this deep into the conversation right now IMHO.

It isn't just operations over people, although that is where a <0.55lbs drone might be the most useful for part 107 operations, but all part 107 operations like I said (according to the training). That is what surprised me as something I learned from the training.

I don't feel like it is too early to discuss RID or any other documented rule whether it is in effect yet or not. I'm not saying people should freak out about it, but thinking ahead isn't a bad thing. The only reason not to talk about RID, IMHO, is if I suspected that they were going change the rule that they already passed sometime in the next 2 years. Which I don't. This isn't like arguing if a hotdog is a sandwich, where there are no facts and only opinions. This is talking about facts that are documented and trying to understand them.

For example, if late this year I were to see a Mavic Mini 2 on close out sale, maybe I don't buy it because it isn't clear if it will be able to able to upgraded via software to be RID compliant and adding a module would push it over the 0.55lb limit (so would adding prop guards which would be a logical thing to do for OOP anyway, but that is a different topic)? Maybe planning for RID changes some of the drones that I'm designing myself?

1617892045285.png

I'm okay with discussing RID, I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading this thread did not get confused about WHEN it becomes relevant. Looking back at the FAA's involvement and direct regulation of UAV's one thing is for sure - and that is things change. As an example, two years after they rolled out the 107 certification and remote pilot's realized that every two years we would have to spend 150.00 to stay current, some became disillusioned. Two years later, we now can take an online course in about an hour for free AND, we can now do night operations without a waiver - no one saw that coming two years earlier - it evolved.

I suspect in the following two years as we approach the implementation of RID, the picture will become a little more in focus.

Reactions: Mike Irish
I'm okay with discussing RID, I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading this thread did not get confused about WHEN it becomes relevant. Looking back at the FAA's involvement and direct regulation of UAV's one thing is for sure - and that is things change. As an example, two years after they rolled out the 107 certification and remote pilot's realized that every two years we would have to spend 150.00 to stay current, some became disillusioned. Two years later, we now can take an online course in about an hour for free AND, we can now do night operations without a waiver - no one saw that coming two years earlier - it evolved.

I suspect in the following two years as we approach the implementation of RID, the picture will become a little more in focus.

I realize I should have been more clear about the RID implementation date in my original post. I took for granted that not everybody may be paying attention to news about about this rule and therefore may not know when it goes into effect.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I also don't think that any of those changes happened because the FAA realized that they made mistakes on their own. They happened because of feedback from drone pilots through various organizations. I think that the only way that the picture changes significantly before 2 years are up is if everybody who cares about it starts talking about it and providing feedback where applicable now.

I could believe that at some point in the future the FAA will realize that requiring RID ( not right now, but only after 09/16/2023) on drones weighing <0.55lbs for part 107 operations will limit options for people and will lead to more Category 2 OOP which is probably more dangerous. I doubt they do that in <2years, but if they do it will probably be in part because of feed back from pilots pointing out the issues early.

I could believe that at some point in the future the FAA will realize that requiring RID ( not right now, but only after 09/16/2023) on drones weighing <0.55lbs for part 107 operations. . . . .

I just need to point out that ANY weight class of drone used for commercial ops (107) must be registered as a commercial aircraft, so that distinction your using of <0.55lbs is currently non existent - when talking about 107 operations.

Are you seeing somewhere that RID for 107 operations will be dependent upon weight? If so I have not seen that, got a link?

Personally, I am not in the market for a new drone as the ones I have are still very capable and I suspect they will be for some time but I do see how this is effecting a lot of pilots unsure as to which way to go. I would like to believe that satisfying RID for older drones will be addressed by the free market but if not I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

I just need to point out that ANY weight class of drone used for commercial ops (107) must be registered as a commercial aircraft, so that distinction your using of <0.55lbs is currently non existent - when talking about 107 operations.

Are you seeing somewhere that RID for 107 operations will be dependent upon weight? If so I have not seen that, got a link?

Personally, I am not in the market for a new drone as the ones I have are still very capable and I suspect they will be for some time but I do see how this is effecting a lot of pilots unsure as to which way to go. I would like to believe that satisfying RID for older drones will be addressed by the free market but if not I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

Based on the current rules, when RID is implemented on 09/16/2023, there will be no distinction based on weight for part 107 operation. All 107 operations will require RID after 09/16/2023 regardless of weight.

Prior to taking the training, I had thought that RID wouldn't be required any drones weighing <0.55lbs even after the rule goes into effect on 09/16/2023. My initial post was pointing out that I learned that I was wrong about that and that RID WILL be required on drones <0.55lbs, along with all other weight drones, when used for part 107 operations after 09/16/2023.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who incorrectly thought that all small drones (<0.55lbs) wouldn't need to worry about RID when the rule goes into effect 09/16/2023. Maybe the FAA put the bullet point stating that the exemption to (the future implementation of) RID for drones <0.55lbs DOES NOT APPLY to part 107 operations just for me.

Okay got it. I really think the FAA thought that there should be a cutoff point (weight-wise) for recreationally drones due to all of the 'toy' drones that can be purchased just about anywhere that didn't (until now) have the capabilities of consumer drones - thus the sub 250 gram exclusion for recreational registration came along. But not only did they (FAA) likely not see something like the Mini - literally targeting that rule, but also that it has confused a lot of pilots by making them think that not only do they not have to register but are off the radar of other regulations as well when this is not the case perhaps?;)

I also think a lot of confusion is caused by reading different sources, such as training materials from multiple sources. One thing I think all UAV pilots should do is to have a link to, or a copy of, the exact regulations one is flying under - recreational or commercial and frequently read them. From time to time I will take an evening to read the 107 code just to make sure I don't have any spider webs in the brain. ?

If you have never seen the full 107 code, here is a link: 107 Full Code

• Love
Okay got it. I really think the FAA thought that there should be a cutoff point (weight-wise) for recreationally drones due to all of the 'toy' drones that can be purchased just about anywhere that didn't (until now) have the capabilities of consumer drones - thus the sub 250 gram exclusion for recreational registration came along. But not only did they (FAA) likely not see something like the Mini - literally targeting that rule, but also that it has confused a lot of pilots by making them think that not only do they not have to register but are off the radar of other regulations as well when this is not the case perhaps?;)

I also think a lot of confusion is caused by reading different sources, such as training materials from multiple sources. One thing I think all UAV pilots should do is to have a link to, or a copy of, the exact regulations one is flying under - recreational or commercial and frequently read them. From time to time I will take an evening to read the 107 code just to make sure I don't have any spider webs in the brain. ?

^^^^^^ Excellent reply @Ty Pilot

Reactions: Ty Pilot

I do want to point out that I'm not getting training from any sources other than FAA. The training that I posted about learning from and also that I posted a screen capture to try to correct some misleading information that somebody had replied to me with is from the FAA part 107 Recurrency training that this whole thread is about.

I have read the Part 107, though it has been awhile. I didn't re-read it before taking this new FAA training because I wanted to see if how much I remembered.

I do want to point out that I'm not getting training from any sources other than FAA. The training that I posted about learning from and also that I posted a screen capture to try to correct some misleading information that somebody had replied to me with is from the FAA part 107 Recurrency training that this whole thread is about.

I have read the Part 107, though it has been awhile. I didn't re-read it before taking this new FAA training because I wanted to see if how much I remembered.

Ok hold up just a moment.... there are a TOTAL of (3) people in this thread.... and I'm the one who started this thread and I'm the one who tried to correct your statement about RID. Let's not beat around the bush here. You stated:

"One thing I didn't realize before I took this recurrency training is that RID will be required on drones <0.55lbs when operated under part 107"

I was trying to either clarify your confusion or understand your point when I replied:

"Remote ID is still not due to go LIVE until 2023.

Do you mean FAA Registration? If yes then YES all aircraft used non-Recreational require Registration on the Commercial side of the FAA regardless of weight."

Everything I stated is true and not misleading. RID isn't LIVE until 2023 and a lot can (and possibly will change) between now and then. I stand behind every statement I made in this thread.

RID is mentioned in the Recurrency Training and IKT because it could possibly go into effect before the next round of Recurrency Training is due if everyone "Become Current" soon in order to be able to utilize OOP and Night Flight w/o waivers. I still fully believe you're putting the cart in front of the horse worrying about RID right now. The requirements aren't even finalized yet so you're trying to nail down a concept that is still being created. WAY too early!!

I'm not going to beat around the bush... it's just way premature to worry and fret over something that isn't even standardized yet.

Ok hold up just a moment.... there are a TOTAL of (3) people in this thread.... and I'm the one who started this thread and I'm the one who tried to correct your statement about RID. Let's not beat around the bush here. You stated:

"One thing I didn't realize before I took this recurrency training is that RID will be required on drones <0.55lbs when operated under part 107"

I was trying to either clarify your confusion or understand your point when I replied:

"Remote ID is still not due to go LIVE until 2023.

Do you mean FAA Registration? If yes then YES all aircraft used non-Recreational require Registration on the Commercial side of the FAA regardless of weight."

Everything I stated is true and not misleading. RID isn't LIVE until 2023 and a lot can (and possibly will change) between now and then. I stand behind every statement I made in this thread.

RID is mentioned in the Recurrency Training and IKT because it could possibly go into effect before the next round of Recurrency Training is due if everyone "Become Current" soon in order to be able to utilize OOP and Night Flight w/o waivers. I still fully believe you're putting the cart in front of the horse worrying about RID right now. The requirements aren't even finalized yet so you're trying to nail down a concept that is still being created. WAY too early!!

I'm not going to beat around the bush... it's just way premature to worry and fret over something that isn't even standardized yet.

I posted a screenshot of the training to try clear up your statements:
Yes all UAS operated under Part 107 will require RID when it goes into effect if the UAS is used in OOP. OOP is where the requirement for RID resides right now.

I feel those 2 statements imply that RID with be required (after 09/16/2023) because of and only for operations over people. Regardless whether it is misleading or not, the 2nd statement is incorrect in that the future requirement for RID does not "reside" in operations over people, it resides in part 107.13 and part 48.

If my original post using the future tense "will be required" in reference to RID is confusing people into thinking RID is required now, then surely you have to agree that your statements might make people think that RID (when required) will only be related operations over people and not necessarily other part 107 operations.

Of course things could change before, or at any point after, the RID rule goes into effect in 09/16/2023, but like I have already stated I believe it doesn't hurt to plan ahead and I also believe that changes will be driven by talking about the rule rather than waiting to see what happens.

As I have implied in another thread of yours, I believe that at a high level the Final Rule does finalize the requirements for RID (which goes into effect at a later date) . It explicitly says that it defines the requirements and they are waiting to see how manufacturers meet those requirements. I don't think the requirements are going to change in the next 2 years because I think it would take another rule change and that seems to be a slow process. I think saying the requirements haven't been finalized is another incorrect or misleading statement.

Last edited:
If my two cents means anything, what I got out of the training, is that RID is currently required for categories, 1,2, and 4 OOP now. Category 3 deals with restricted access areas and is not currently required. When RID goes into full effect, all sUAS, regardless of size, must have RID to fly outside of an FAA designated area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval