Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA Registration-Commercial Operators

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those of you operating commercially that originally registered yourself with the FAA using the original recreational registration process, which was, and still is legal under Part 107, we have something to consider; With the recent trashing of the recreational registration rule those of us that operate commercially may not now have legally registered aircraft if we originally registered and received a single number that was applicable to all of our aircraft.

I don't know when the FAA did it but their registration site now has two classifications, one called "Fly for Fun" and the other "Fly for Work". If you are a commercial operator and originally registered with a single fee that covered multiple aircraft you may want to re-register, listing each of your aircraft individually by serial number. Doing so would assure you and your aircraft are compliant with the rules governing commercial operators. The fee is $5.00/aircraft and the term of registration lasts 3 years. Each aircraft will be issued a new registration number, which you'll receive by e-mail a few minutes after completing the process. The process is still simple.

Getting Started

I was wondering when or if the FAA would begin to separate the registrations based on hobby or commercial operations, thanks for posting.

You're welcome.

They've always had a separate registration class for full scale and Part 333 operations but we (Part 107 commercial operators) didn't have to use either of those when Part 107 was implemented. I don't know what laws actually apply to what at the moment but I recognize those of us that operate commercially that registered under the original single number, multiple aircraft rule are probably out on a limb after the FAA got beat in court in violating Part 336.

Being one that prefers to plan for the worst and be happy when the worst doesn't occur I believe prevention is far better than correction or trying to beg forgiveness. $5.00 is not much to pay to assure I don't run into what would probably have been avoidable trouble later. I'm not saying we should re-register, but I did for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie. I originally registered right after the FAA came up with the idea and gave your $5.00 back after a day or so. During that time 107 had yet to come into being, but after it finally came to pass provided that either individual aircraft or hobby type registration met commercial registration requirements. So I never looked at the FAA registration site again.

OTOH, In section 6-f of the attached PDF it does state that non-recreational sUAS would be registered individually. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.338.pdf

Last edited:
I've already registered each of my individual drones for commercial purposes under Fly for Work....It's been there for months. But please don't ask me how long it took me to finally get around to it...I see they are also talking about foreign country activity now too.

Can anyone confirm that the serial number for registration of the H is the number on the bottom of the body of the H (not the gimbal) and starts with "YU" ? Pretty sure that is it but don't want to get it wrong. TIA

I re-registered my drone from fly for fun to fly for work back in March so the option was there a while, and as was stated in a previous post went back to 8/16.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio