Recreational Flyer Registration Extended to Dec. 12, 2020
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has important registration information for drone recreational flyers who registered in the FAADroneZone before December 12, 2017. Your registration has been automatically extended until December 12, 2020.
Why Was My Registration Extended?
The National Defense Authorization Act for 2018 restored the FAA’s registration rule with respect to model aircraft and recreational flying. If you registered prior to December 12, 2017, and did not request to have your registration information deleted, the FAA extended the expiration date until December 12, 2020, which is three years from the rule restoration date. If you requested a refund of registration fees, you would have had to re-register again after December 12, 2017. Therefore, your expiration date would now also be December 12, 2020, or later. At this time you can retain your registration number.
What Should I Do Now?
When Will I Need to Renew My Registration?
- You do not need to do anything to extend your registration expiration date, this was done automatically.
- To print an updated registration card: Login to the FAADroneZone, select the Recreational Flyer Dashboard, and select Print.
How much does it cost to renew/register?
- The FAA will send out a registration renewal email notification 180 days prior to your registration expiration date.
- When your registration renewal is available, your FAADroneZone dashboard will include an option to “Renew.”
- Please note: You cannot renew earlier than 180 days prior to the registration expiration date. No third-party vendor can renew your registration for you at this time.
$5 through the FAADroneZone.
Do I need to register each drone/aircraft?
If you are registering as a Recreational Flyer, you only register once and use the same registration number on all drones that you own and intend on using for recreational flying. If you are trying to register under Part 107, then you will register each drone individually and each drone will get a separate registration number.