Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Drone Question - H520?

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum and after some advice.

Having been interested in purchasing a drone and looking to gain an understanding of the commercial side I have recently been looking at various options. I had originally been looking at the typhoon H/Plus however.......

I have found a H520 which is brand new (only open for inspection) along with an E90 camera (again brand new) for sale for £1400.

I do have a number of questions however,

Is the drone overkill for a first time owner? Are they really difficult to fly and get to grips with? Would an alternative be a better option?

With purchasing the drone and camera as mentioned above is there anything to be wary of? Obviously there will be no warranty, are repairs crazy money in the UK is there was anything wrong. The seller has happily said he will turn it on but obviously reluctant to fly it as it has previously never been flown.

I have read through various issues with the drone with updates etc on this forum - are these now resolved or are there still problems associated with the drone?

I guess the ultimate question is given the above is this feasible? Good drone for the price or would I be better off purchasing a H+ brand new with a warranty etc?

Would really appreciate any help with the questions.

Thanks

£1400 is an exceptional price for a 520.

The H Plus and the H520 have identical hardware. The software is the main difference.
Flying the 520 is not difficult but certainly gaining an understanding of the software can take a good deal of studying. In particular you need to understand Angle mode and Home mode. You must know how to land and shut down. You must watch the voltage levels and land with plenty of reserve power. And you need to understand battery management.

The H520 is a very capable aircraft. Be sure to browse thru the H520 section and be sure to download the special manual created by member of this forum. There is a link here: H520 Help

Hi All,

Having been interested in purchasing a drone and looking to gain an understanding of the commercial side I have recently been looking at various options. I had originally been looking at the typhoon H/Plus however.......

I have found a H520 which is brand new (only open for inspection) along with an E90 camera (again brand new) for sale for £1400.

Is the drone overkill for a first time owner? Are they really difficult to fly and get to grips with? Would an alternative be a better option?

With purchasing the drone and camera as mentioned above is there anything to be wary of? Obviously there will be no warranty, are repairs crazy money in the UK is there was anything wrong. The seller has happily said he will turn it on but obviously reluctant to fly it as it has previously never been flown.

I have read through various issues with the drone with updates etc on this forum - are these now resolved or are there still problems associated with the drone?

I guess the ultimate question is given the above is this feasible? Good drone for the price or would I be better off purchasing a H+ brand new with a warranty etc?

Thanks
Hi, and welcome to the "unique" world of UAV flying - pardon the pun!
To answer your very first question; yes, yes, yes!
I can tell you from personal experience, having bought a second hand DJI Inspire 1 as my first UAV, that the H520 should not be used to learn to fly, as a first time flyer. While for me, the experience I had with the Inspire 1 firmly set me on the path of wanting to fly more, it wasn't until I bought the much smaller, and more user friendly, DJI Mavic 2 Pro that I was able to start mastering the skills of flying.
I certainly can't stop you from buying the H520, but I would strongly recommend you also look at something much smaller to learn on. If you decide to do go down that path, then train, train and train again. Don't worry about mastering videography skills until you have at least a minimum of 10 hours, preferably much more, of standard take off rotations, plain old VLOS flying, hover, turn and yaw, all without the benefit of GPS - in other words using manual (or ATTI) mode. You should also consider enrolling in a course that will take you through UK aviation rules for UAV flying (these laws and rules are pretty much the same world wide now).
If you can get your head around these suggestions and still want to take up flying, I think you will be bowled over with the fun and skill of flying a UAV, plus the new photographic opportunities that might open up for you.

Happy and safe flying ;) :cool:

Hi All,

Thanks

A 520 for that price, if truly brand new; is a good deal. Would I recommend to a first time flyer to multi-rotors? Possibly if you had previous RC flight experience but barring that, I would say if your serious about getting into the hobby and you can verify the validity of the 520; get it then quickly purchase a cheaper drone to learn on. But if you have no operational experience with a multi rotor then a 520 is probably is going to be a little bit risky to learn on.

However, if I was to buy a drone whether it is used or reported as - never flown, I would ask for access to the telemetry. I would also want to know the condition of the batteries such as how many cycles if any, have they been stored correctly and so on.

Hi All,

Thanks
I bought a few BangGood drones and learned just enough to be dangerous. I also found a decent price on a demo Typhoon H+ and bought it. I continued to fly and learn on the cheaper drones while my H+ sat under the table. A month after the purchase of the H+ I decided to try it, very carefully in my back lot where I had been flying daily with the lesser drones.
Much to my amazement, the H+ flew just like the others with one exception. It was easier! Everything was more positive and I felt in better control.
My advice is, if you can afford the H520 AND a lesser but good quality drone, get both! Learn on the lesser one and just be patient before flying the H520. Get it out and familiarize yourself with it. Play with the sticks and especially the camera while just sitting on a table, inside and out. When you feel comfortable with the lesser drone, then CAREFULLY test the H520 in a CLEAR area and hopefully your luck will be as mine was.
I am in no way a Pro or anything haveing piloted my first drone right after Father's day in 2019 but I am sure glad I didn't lose out on the great deal on the H+ by waiting!

A 520 for that price, if truly brand new; is a good deal. Would I recommend to a first time flyer to multi-rotors? Possibly if you had previous RC flight experience but barring that, I would say if your serious about getting into the hobby and you can verify the validity of the 520; get it then quickly purchase a cheaper drone to learn on. But if you have no operational experience with a multi rotor then a 520 is probably is going to be a little bit risky to learn on.

However, if I was to buy a drone whether it is used or reported as - never flown, I would ask for access to the telemetry. I would also want to know the condition of the batteries such as how many cycles if any, have they been stored correctly and so on.
Just curious how a multi-rotor is less user-friendly than a quad? I have an H520 and they have fail-over in the speed controller system. If one motor goes out or one prop gets a certain amount of resistance the opposite motor shuts down and you then fly as a quad.

This would be a good quad to learn to fly and get comfortable.

Just curious how a multi-rotor is less user-friendly than a quad? I have an H520 and they have fail-over in the speed controller system. If one motor goes out or one prop gets a certain amount of resistance the opposite motor shuts down and you then fly as a quad.

Its not the difference in user friendliness, but rather the cost of the aircraft should something go wrong. Learning and practicing with a $50 US (or less) is a lot less stressful than putting a $700, $1400, $1800, or $3000 piece of equipment in the air.

That is the point of any recommendations of "get the hang of it" with less expensive models.

Jeff

Reactions: chascoadmin

A Quad is a multi-rotor, the term could be used for a quad, hex or any number of rotors. I often use the term multi-rotor instead of the over-used term, 'Drone'. The point of my reply was; instead of learning on an expensive multi, get a cheap one.

For cheap drones, with GPS, RTL and even 4K recording (yes, I don't have to talk about quality, don't you?) they are bringing out a lot of models that have all the same features for about 100€.

By this I mean that you can get a drone with characteristics in general "similar" to H PLUS or H520 and get used to the general procedures for very little money. Yes, they are all for WIFI so the distance is very short.

I understand that this is because some manufacturer has removed a board with everything integrated and are almost giving them away, have emerged a plague of assemblers using the same board that have caused prices to drop so much in such drones.

I leave you an example of what I speak and in this channel, that the man makes it careful and quite well, makes review of a lot of these drones of which I speak.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval