Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Flight Blues

Reaction score
So, I decided to open it up yesterday, and waited for my grandson to get here to enjoy the opening. He's flown my Phantoms since last year. He was excited about this Typhoon too. We went up to the park, the south side with very little people traffic. Start her up, left-stick up and off she goes! So far so good! Right-stick forward and away she goes! Still good so far. So I yaw it around to face back to me, right-stick forward, and she flies backwards, away from me! WTF?! Hmmm............ maybe it's set up differently, so I yaw her again so her rear is facing me. Right-stick forward and again she flies backwards, away from me!! This is totally freaking me out! I'm totally disoriented by it! So I finally figure out that the stick setup was to move forward "away" from me whenever pushed forward. Pulling back on the right stick brings it back, no matter which direction the nose is facing! This is called something else on the Phantom, maybe Home Lock I think? I can't fly this way lol I'm so disoriented because of it. Grandson says give it to me, I know what's wrong! Hand him the controller, he flys about a minute, and understands what I'm saying, lol he says here, take it back, I can't control it! So I'm really scared now so I pull the switch down to Home mode. It rises up to 30 feet, and sits there forever. Finally, after about 2 minutes, it starts to descend. Lands fairly hard and starts bouncing, hopping really, until it falls over and I finally get the motors to stop. No damage done, except to my pride.

I've got over a million feet on my Phantoms. Very experienced. So this wasn't fun at all. I think I just need to figure out which stick mode flies like I'm used to on the Phantom, where if flies the way the nose is pointed. Anyone know offhand which mode it is?

I believe you were in "Smart" mode.
From the manual:

FLIGHT MODES

The ST12 Ground Station is equipped with 3 different flight modes which can be selected by using the mode switch in the top right corner above the right joystick.

SMART MODE

When the Flight Mode selection switch is in the top position Typhoon H will be in Smart Mode. Although we recommend learning to fly Typhoon H in Angle (Pilot) Mode as soon as possible, Smart Mode is typically the best mode for beginning pilots to fly in and also features 'Follow Me'.

In Smart Mode Typhoon H will always move in the direction the right-hand control stick is pushed relative to the pilot and no matter which way the front/nose is pointed. So if you push the stick to the left Typhoon H will always move to the left, regardless of the direction the nose is pointing and even if it’s spinning. This mode can also be helpful for pilots that lose orientation while flying in Angle (Pilot) Mode.

You must be in Smart more. If you are experienced there is no reason to use smart more. Use angle mode. Top right toggle controls the modes. Also the top right icon on the screen tells you which more you are in. If toggle is up it is Smart more, centered angle mode, toggle down, home mode.

And Snerd, Home Mode is the same as DJI RTH and Angle is same as DJI P Mode , The Smart Mode is more like DJI Beginner on DJI. H does not have a "ATTI" Mode to stay, except if you loose GPS, then Angle becomes like Atti. Hey, I am glad you got her! Let me know your take after you get used to her, compared to Phantoms!

I'll have to look, but I know I had changed it to Angle Mode last night. I knew to do that from reading the forums. So, it may have gotten switched back up, maybe the grandson did it when he took it out of the case today. Thanks

Reactions: DroneClone
Let me know your take after you get used to her, compared to Phantoms!
Oh, for sure! Will try again tomorrow, making sure it's in Angle mode. That control mixup today scared the crap out of me! It was so disorienting, even to my grandson. LOL we're not as smooth in emergencies as we should be, I found out!

I'll have to look, but I know I had changed it to Angle Mode last night. I knew to do that from reading the forums. So, it may have gotten switched back up, maybe the grandson did it when he took it out of the case today. Thanks
It is very easy to bump it up or even down when in Angle Mode, especially when sliding in and out upside down into the case, very poor design to put your controller in upside down with poor position of the Mode Switches in my mind! Done it myself a couple times, now I check them and all switches like Obstacle Avoidance to OFF also, as I have no need for that function in my flights;)

Reactions: snerd
Been flying RC for quite some time and resetting my switches before turning the plane one is second nature. Highly recommend with the ST-16 as bad things can happen if you expect to be in angle but are in "smart" mode.

Been flying RC for quite some time and resetting my switches before turning the plane one is second nature. Highly recommend with the ST-16 as bad things can happen if you expect to be in angle but are in "smart" mode.
You bet ya yufasa !;)

Also, make sure to have obstacle avoidance switched off when below 3 meters, especially when landing. Good luck and hope you have fun!

Also, make sure to have obstacle avoidance switched off when below 3 meters, especially when landing. Good luck and hope you have fun!

May I know y we need to close the avoidance when lower than 3 meters during the landing?

May I know y we need to close the avoidance when lower than 3 meters during the landing?
From page 10 of the manual:
SONAR OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE
With sustainable GPS locked, the sonar can be activated in
Angle (Pilot) Mode by being switched on with Typhoon H
higher than 9.9ft (3 meters).

From the black sheet that comes with the Typhoon H with warnings:
SWITCH OFF THE OBSTACLE AVOID FUNCTION BEFORE LANDING!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz