Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Flight Impressions of the Plus

Looking back over the last five years it certainly seems to me that the consumer drones have sort of hit a plateau. Over the past 10 or 15 years the advancement in UA's has been drastic, not only in flight capability but also in user interface systems and in particular the camera. Years ago it seemed like at least once or more a year a new model would emerge with yet more and better capability, longer flight times and so forth. However, in the last two to three years this has all but ceased. Granted there are companies producing new models but are they really better?

Are they really an improvement over some previous models or are the manufacturers just putting out UAs with relatively the same tech but just in different packages? I would argue that things like sub 250 gram drones (Mavic Mini) is really just a gimmick, but then again, my entire purpose for owning a drone is for it's payload - the camera. And it is in this respect that I am commenting

Some could argue that the plandemic and foreign relations of some countries have had an effect on new models and sales but I don't think so. I believe what we have witnessed over the last three to four years is simple economics (I'm really going somewhere with this so bear with me). As some may know, I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro a while back - I needed a compact drone that I could hike and bicycle with for extended periods BUT, I am so spoiled by the C23 I felt I needed at least a comparable or better camera to complement the Plus.

_TJP5109.png

My H Plus Impressions continued - 2 and 1/2 years Later. . . .

The H Plus has been the work horse for our real estate work for the better part of 2 - 1/2 years, as I have said over and over, the imagery is unmatched - still. However here in Florida the real estate market is; and has been, on fire for the last couple of years, house are often times sold sight unseen and realtors are not needing the extra aerial images as much as they had in the past so the Plus is seeing limited flight duties due to the fact that spares such as batteries are getting hard to find. That being said However, when it comes to paid jobs, the only aircraft I will bring out, is the Plus, not only does it have the great imagery but it does look the part and that matters, lets face it when you drag a little fold-able drone out of your pocket it looks like you're not too serious. But I digress. . .

The other day (New Year's Eve) I had a little time and the weather was great and I hadn't flown the Plus in a while and thought I would take it for a few flights. After charging all three batteries I took it out of the box and set it up and I just got rush, like seeing an old friend as I set it up for flight. After a quick pre-flight, I took of and just flew around and watched and it almost felt like I was driving a very solid luxury car. No matter what multi-rotor I have flown in the past, the H Plus is still my favorite. That full size controller with a built in screen (to me) is still king. This is still the best flying consumer drone under 2,000$ and probably better than a lot of much more expensive ones too.

On my second and third flights, I shot some video and afterwards I took the SD card into the office and downloaded the clips into my 'H Plus' folder which now resides between my '480' and Mavic' folders where I keep all my clips. I've compared the video from each before and while the Plus is clearly better than the 480 I decided (now that the 'newness' of the Mavic as worn away) to really dig down and compare the clips from an Mavic 2 Pro to a Typhoon H Plus.

As I pixel-peaked the videos it became very clear that the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus is still one of; if not 'the' best - consumer drones on the market even nearly three years later (It was released in EU months before we in the US could get one). Even with all it's little quirks it's still got no equal in my eye. The fact that they quit making them is one of the most astounding oddities that could have happened. To me, had they kept refining the Plus it would go toe to toe with anything currently available at it's price point.

Yes, the Phantom 4 has as good a camera and even has a mechanical shutter but your gonna get props and landing gear in at some point.
Yes, the Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" sensor and it's small size has a lot going for it but I don't think it's quite as good as the Plus.
And Yes, there is the Autel Evo 6K and 8K drones but the '8K' is really the same size sensor as the 480 had and the video I have seen is only slightly better than a 480 and the 6K? Not to sure on that but even if it is as good as the Mavic or H Plus, it still lacks the things that set the Typhoon H Plus apart from all others such as the bright, built in screen, retractable gear, 360 camera operation and even multiple controller operation for absolute camera control.

As I mentioned, I fly a multi-rotor to carry a camera so I can shoot photos and video, I don't care to fly out-of-sight half-way across the state. There has been discussion that Yuneec USA is going to try to get back on line and I hope they do. Looking down the road, I am hopeful that spare parts an batteries will begin to flow here in the US again as I will be flying the Plus for as long as I can.

Looking back over the last five years it certainly seems to me that the consumer drones have sort of hit a plateau. Over the past 10 or 15 years the advancement in UA's has been drastic, not only in flight capability but also in user interface systems and in particular the camera. Years ago it seemed like at least once or more a year a new model would emerge with yet more and better capability, longer flight times and so forth. However, in the last two to three years this has all but ceased. Granted there are companies producing new models but are they really better?

Are they really an improvement over some previous models or are the manufacturers just putting out UAs with relatively the same tech but just in different packages? I would argue that things like sub 250 gram drones (Mavic Mini) is really just a gimmick, but then again, my entire purpose for owning a drone is for it's payload - the camera. And it is in this respect that I am commenting

Some could argue that the plandemic and foreign relations of some countries have had an effect on new models and sales but I don't think so. I believe what we have witnessed over the last three to four years is simple economics (I'm really going somewhere with this so bear with me). As some may know, I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro a while back - I needed a compact drone that I could hike and bicycle with for extended periods BUT, I am so spoiled by the C23 I felt I needed at least a comparable or better camera to complement the Plus.

View attachment 24218

My H Plus Impressions continued - 2 and 1/2 years Later. . . .

The H Plus has been the work horse for our real estate work for the better part of 2 - 1/2 years, as I have said over and over, the imagery is unmatched - still. However here in Florida the real estate market is; and has been, on fire for the last couple of years, house are often times sold sight unseen and realtors are not needing the extra aerial images as much as they had in the past so the Plus is seeing limited flight duties due to the fact that spares such as batteries are getting hard to find. That being said However, when it comes to paid jobs, the only aircraft I will bring out, is the Plus, not only does it have the great imagery but it does look the part and that matters, lets face it when you drag a little fold-able drone out of your pocket it looks like you're not too serious. But I digress. . .

The other day (New Year's Eve) I had a little time and the weather was great and I hadn't flown the Plus in a while and thought I would take it for a few flights. After charging all three batteries I took it out of the box and set it up and I just got rush, like seeing an old friend as I set it up for flight. After a quick pre-flight, I took of and just flew around and watched and it almost felt like I was driving a very solid luxury car. No matter what multi-rotor I have flown in the past, the H Plus is still my favorite. That full size controller with a built in screen (to me) is still king. This is still the best flying consumer drone under 2,000$ and probably better than a lot of much more expensive ones too.

On my second and third flights, I shot some video and afterwards I took the SD card into the office and downloaded the clips into my 'H Plus' folder which now resides between my '480' and Mavic' folders where I keep all my clips. I've compared the video from each before and while the Plus is clearly better than the 480 I decided (now that the 'newness' of the Mavic as worn away) to really dig down and compare the clips from an Mavic 2 Pro to a Typhoon H Plus.

As I pixel-peaked the videos it became very clear that the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus is still one of; if not 'the' best - consumer drones on the market even nearly three years later (It was released in EU months before we in the US could get one). Even with all it's little quirks it's still got no equal in my eye. The fact that they quit making them is one of the most astounding oddities that could have happened. To me, had they kept refining the Plus it would go toe to toe with anything currently available at it's price point.

Yes, the Phantom 4 has as good a camera and even has a mechanical shutter but your gonna get props and landing gear in at some point.
Yes, the Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" sensor and it's small size has a lot going for it but I don't think it's quite as good as the Plus.
And Yes, there is the Autel Evo 6K and 8K drones but the '8K' is really the same size sensor as the 480 had and the video I have seen is only slightly better than a 480 and the 6K? Not to sure on that but even if it is as good as the Mavic or H Plus, it still lacks the things that set the Typhoon H Plus apart from all others such as the bright, built in screen, retractable gear, 360 camera operation and even multiple controller operation for absolute camera control.

As I mentioned, I fly a multi-rotor to carry a camera so I can shoot photos and video, I don't care to fly out-of-sight half-way across the state. There has been discussion that Yuneec USA is going to try to get back on line and I hope they do. Looking down the road, I am hopeful that spare parts an batteries will begin to flow here in the US again as I will be flying the Plus for as long as I can.

Interesting post and a bit on topic for me, due to my recent desire to get a Mavic 2 Pro travel purposes. Haven’t found many head to head comparisons between the M2P and the Plus. Seeing as not many know their way around these drones as you do, I appreciate the bit of information and head-to-head feedback in your post.

You should do an in-depth comparison video in YT, I’m sure it’d garner a ton of views.

Thank you.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
The DJI fanboys would have a cow!?

I moderate on a couple of DJI forums also and the biggest share of them don’t even think there are other drones out there. That said they do have some very good products. You just have to deal with the DJI nanny software/firmware.

I see value in most of the different manufacturers and wish there were more third party adoption of other brands besides DJI.

Last edited:
Interesting post and a bit on topic for me, due to my recent desire to get a Mavic 2 Pro travel purposes. Haven’t found many head to head comparisons between the M2P and the Plus. Seeing as not many know their way around these drones as you do, I appreciate the bit of information and head-to-head feedback in your post.

You should do an in-depth comparison video in YT, I’m sure it’d garner a ton of views.

Thank you.
Originally I was going to do just that but with what all happened to Yuneec here in the US and supplies drying up I held off. Recently however, I've taken a new look at the whole perspective and feel like making such a video is something I want to do. Not so much as a 'buy this or that' type of video but it gives an opportunity to shed some light on a decision making process and puts perspective on the current market.

Originally I was going to do just that but with what all happened to Yuneec here in the US and supplies drying up I held off. Recently however, I've taken a new look at the whole perspective and feel like making such a video is something I want to do. Not so much as a 'buy this or that' type of video but it gives an opportunity to shed some light on a decision making process and puts perspective on the current market.

Would definitely be helpful for many I’m sure. I’ll keep an eye out on your channel.

WoW!o_O Looks professional for sure at first glance, very encouraging. I'm off to look over the site. This is great news for those of us who have an H Plus and were thinkin' we might have to donate it to the Smithsonian someday for lack of parts and support. Thanks for the tip!

They did not just pop up. They have been in operation for more than a year now. The main website is Yuneec – Quadcopters & Aerial Drones and if you go to purchase there you are redirected to the store.yuneec.com linked in the previous post by @jcommstudios.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Popped up? I just went to that site yesterday and bought an H Plus. This is making me nervous, is this a legitimate Yuneec dealer?
@Victory Pete let me rephrase that. I found them in a search..IE: popped up. I purchased an H Plus and DY5. Got both quickly. The DY5 had a bad charging port and a replacement is arriving today. They are the real deal. I have communicated with them and have done some research on the company. No need to be nervous. lol

They did not just pop up. They have been in operation for more than a year now. The main website is Yuneec – Quadcopters & Aerial Drones and if you go to purchase there you are redirected to the store.yuneec.com linked in the previous post by @jcommstudios.
@DoomMeister Correct recently..as in the last year or so. And when I said popped up it was meant to be in response to a search to buy an H Plus. They are solid and in Ca. where I reside. Happy there is someone back on the West Coast as a dealer. Picked up an H Plus and DY5. I just checked their international shipping records and they have a new batch arriving soon.

Reactions: DoomMeister
@Victory Pete let me rephrase that. I found them in a search..IE: popped up. I purchased an H Plus and DY5. Got both quickly. The DY5 had a bad charging port and a replacement is arriving today. They are the real deal. I have communicated with them and have done some research on the company. No need to be nervous. lol
Yes, thanks, I just talked to a very nice woman.

Reactions: jcommstudios

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco