Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flight of the day weirdness.

Reaction score
OK I've tried a search or two and can't find anything that kind of fits my interesting weird issue.

OK so here goes... 95% ish of the time my first flight of the day, any day, results in straight line flights that always banana off to one side or another and I can explain why. I stir, clean if needed, sticks and check in hardware monitor before flight, calibrate compass at each new location and still this happens.

I startup nice and slow by letting H sit for several minutes, till I usually get 12-17 Sat's on St16 and 16-20 on the H, I even sit the full 16 mins if moving away any distance or if the H hasn't flown for more than a few days.

However a land and power cycle of H and ST16 and off we go straight as a dye nice smooth circles etc.

If it's a "characteristic" of the H then I can live with it now that I know how to get around this, but anyone else had anything similar?

Cheers Chris

... anyone else had anything similar?

Cheers Chris
Yes, but only occasionally, and it's always to the right of the intended path. first noted after I last updated the firmware. Last time it happened was the first flight of the day last Thursday where, incidentally, the aircraft entered into a 'toilet bowl' when coming into land. A swift compass calibration and a good stir of the sticks solved the problem.

Reactions: cbphoto2006
Yes, but only occasionally, and it's always to the right of the intended path. first noted after I last updated the firmware. Last time it happened was the first flight of the day last Thursday where, incidentally, the aircraft entered into a 'toilet bowl' when coming into land. A swift compass calibration and a good stir of the sticks solved the problem.
Mine is always to the left and I did the same sticks compass and power cycle.

Good to know its not just me, I think

Mine is always to the left and I did the same sticks compass and power cycle.

Good to know its not just me, I think
Any strange behavior of the H should be, in the first instance, attempted to be rectified by doing a compass calibration and a good stir of the sticks. 9 times out of 10 doing this rectifies the strange behavior. If not, there are plenty of threads on this forum about cleaning the stick pots, hardware monitor, and ultimately a ST16 calibration.

Any strange behavior of the H should be, in the first instance, attempted to be rectified by doing a compass calibration and a good stir of the sticks. 9 times out of 10 doing this rectifies the strange behavior. If not, there are plenty of threads on this forum about cleaning the stick pots, hardware monitor, and ultimately a ST16 calibration.
This is exactly what I was finding. I think it was happening from day one, but at the beginning of the year when I got my H I put a lot of it down to the "learning curve" now I know enough and have read enough not to flap and just get it corrected. I just didn't know if it was just me or not.
[emoji4]

Reactions: rdonson
I've noticed weird idiosyncrasies with mine as well like allowing it to sit and update the almanac yet getting compass errors or bad altimeter drift while sitting. One or two power cycles later and everything seems fine. This routine is just a part of my start up sequence now.

Yep, some of that over here too... especially the barometer (altitude) drift, but occasionally the veering off right thing as well...

If it's a "characteristic" of the H then I can live with it now that I know how to get around this, but anyone else had anything similar?
Same here. I've had it happen on some H's and not on others.
My recommendation:
1. Once you do a compass cal for your area, leave it alone unless you get significant compass errors. Same for accelerometer.
2. Check the right stick using second method in the video below.
3. Calibrate the ST16

Go to the :50 mark

Yep, some of that over here too... especially the barometer (altitude) drift, but occasionally the veering off right thing as well...
All part of the fun in flying the H.

Indeed, the only thing that really annoys me is the thing where the camera looses connection sometimes when raising the gear.

All part of the fun in flying the H.

Indeed, the only thing that really annoys me is the thing where the camera looses connection sometimes when raising the gear.
Yeah me too. But I've found if you leave it 10 15 secs before raising legs it reduces the amount of times it drops out.

Never an issue with me when raising the landing gear losing video.
Recently about 2 weeks ago 42 feet + - the H would not maintain altitude.
It wanted to descend. I was next to a building but 12 feet above the roof line. I decided to increase to 60', no issues then.???

Last edited:
Never an issue with me when raising the landing gear loosing video.
The problem seems o be confined to aircraft operating with the EU firmware but, interestingly, doesn't effect all aircraft using EU firmware.

Not at all. Just a few as it seems.

Including mine. Strangely, it doesn't do that very often these days. Earlier I lost video practically every time when raising the gear after the first takeoff of the day (usually subsequent flights were problem free). And I haven't touched the firmware, go figure...

OK I've tried a search or two and can't find anything that kind of fits my interesting weird issue.

OK so here goes... 95% ish of the time my first flight of the day, any day, results in straight line flights that always banana off to one side or another and I can explain why. I stir, clean if needed, sticks and check in hardware monitor before flight, calibrate compass at each new location and still this happens.

I startup nice and slow by letting H sit for several minutes, till I usually get 12-17 Sat's on St16 and 16-20 on the H, I even sit the full 16 mins if moving away any distance or if the H hasn't flown for more than a few days.

However a land and power cycle of H and ST16 and off we go straight as a dye nice smooth circles etc.

Cheers Chris

I may be wrong but it seems like perhaps each has its own little quirks or funny little ways about it.
every time I fly mine I never know what to expect so I have learned to always do line of sight. Being that I have no more warranty I must be very careful.
I have had my share of mishaps. Some mine and a couple not mine. But thank God the times it was not my fault yuneec replaced or repaired my drone. I am talking about two flyaways.
Keith Kuhn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco