Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First snow of the season

Reaction score
Just a quick video from the weekend, not the best flying/editing but wanted the practice of editing.

Tried a couple new things but I don’t think they worked very well. Tried a new transition where I keyed in a shot in the snow from one area of town and then took another one coming out if the snow from a different part of town. It came out subpar but needed to practice.

Tried a couple tilting motion shots as those are hard. If anyone has any pointers on getting a smooth motion when tilting the camera up or down, I’m all ears. Been trying to practice it but I still can’t get it down. I think I’m starting to get close (the clips that got cut were far worse than the 2 I left in, but even those weren’t that great).

Anyway, I didn’t venture very far from my house so there’s not a whole lot of exciting clips, but enjoy it anyway.

Edit: I’m apparently on a train kick now.

You have some good clips in this mix. Many of the shots with a lot of snow seem too dark and cast too far to the blue end of the spectrum. You may want to check your white balance settings.

You have some good clips in this mix. Many of the shots with a lot of snow seem too dark and cast too far to the blue end of the spectrum. You may want to check your white balance settings.

Thank you sir. My fist time videoing in the snow and I know a lot of the colors are way off. I really just left WB on auto because I didn’t know where to begin with it. I probably could have spent a lot more time on coloring in post though.

With snow being white you can aim the camera at it then lock the white balance. You can then adjust the EV to give pleasing results or place exposure in Manual and adjust so the white snow doesn’t get blown out. I think you will find you will have an easier time in post by locking the white balance.

You do come up with some creative shots. Keep up the good work. Post processing has a long learning curve and I’m just barely into it. I’ve put it on hold until I get a new. Computer that can handle processing 4K video without grinding to a halt.

Nice, you guys are in the inside of the box looking deeper, where as I'm on the outside looking in, but thought if would have been more intense if the music stopped when the shot stopped coming down on that stack ? Also what was that wiggle when flying into the face of the stack ? Another question if I may, I'm seeing that your in 2X, would I be correct in my assumption ?

Just a quick video from the weekend, not the best flying/editing but wanted the practice of editing.

Tried a couple new things but I don’t think they worked very well. Tried a new transition where I keyed in a shot in the snow from one area of town and then took another one coming out if the snow from a different part of town. It came out subpar but needed to practice.

Tried a couple tilting motion shots as those are hard. If anyone has any pointers on getting a smooth motion when tilting the camera up or down, I’m all ears. Been trying to practice it but I still can’t get it down. I think I’m starting to get close (the clips that got cut were far worse than the 2 I left in, but even those weren’t that great).

Anyway, I didn’t venture very far from my house so there’s not a whole lot of exciting clips, but enjoy it anyway.

Training yourself ? job well done
my friend... I'm still a student ... it appears that your drone handles well in the cold... having to test my hplus out there as well
Keep up the great work
Merry Christmas
Happy blessed safe healthy New Year 2021

Reactions: Mike Irish
With snow being white you can aim the camera at it then lock the white balance. You can then adjust the EV to give pleasing results or place exposure in Manual and adjust so the white snow doesn’t get blown out. I think you will find you will have an easier time in post by locking the white balance.

You do come up with some creative shots. Keep up the good work. Post processing has a long learning curve and I’m just barely into it. I’ve put it on hold until I get a new. Computer that can handle processing 4K video without grinding to a halt.

First, thank you for the advice, that’ll come in handy. And I know what you mean with computer processing, I dont even bother shooting in 4K because my computer acts like it’s on a dial-up connection when editing the video, it’s awfully slow and so frustrating.

Nice, you guys are in the inside of the box looking deeper, where as I'm on the outside looking in, but thought if would have been more intense if the music stopped when the shot stopped coming down on that stack ? Also what was that wiggle when flying into the face of the stack ? Another question if I may, I'm seeing that your in 2X, would I be correct in my assumption ?

A few of shots were sped up to move with the tempo of the song. I tried to run them at normal speed, even slowed the song down some, but it just didn’t look right. But the video gets shaky when it’s sped up, as I learned in another video. To combat that I flew faster in a lot of the clips, in this one, than I normally do because I had this song in mind when I was shooting, but a few of the clips were precarious type shots that brought me close to objects (the stacks) and didn’t want to run into them. Lol.

That’s a good idea about the music stopping for a slower shot, will try that in the future

Training yourself [emoji3] job well done
my friend... I'm still a student ... it appears that your drone handles well in the cold... having to test my hplus out there as well
Keep up the great work
Merry Christmas
Happy blessed safe healthy New Year 2021

Thank you!

I was a little hesitant flying in the cold at first. Then when I started doing it the h plus flew like a champ, no issues at all. I was flying in 27 degrees-34 degrees. I was worried about battery life at first as well but no issues there either, was surprised I still got 15-18 minutes out of my battery’s.

This drone has been a workhorse for me, stable as a rock and just does anything you want it too. I love how steady it is flying next to things, which gives you more confidence, it flys like it’s on rails. Just a great drone.

A few of shots were sped up to move with the tempo of the song. I tried to run them at normal speed, even slowed the song down some, but it just didn’t look right. But the video gets shaky when it’s sped up, as I learned in another video. To combat that I flew faster in a lot of the clips, in this one, than I normally do because I had this song in mind when I was shooting, but a few of the clips were precarious type shots that brought me close to objects (the stacks) and didn’t want to run into them. Lol.

That’s a good idea about the music stopping for a slower shot, will try that in the future
So you weren't in 2X ?

I like the challenge. Doesn’t hurt that I have 2 and a half more h pluses in reserve. Lol.
Nice a plus army, always good to have spares, I've got one video going over a tree top on a small island, and it looks like I scrape the top, but really didn't ? I've gotten so use to flyin in 2X , that I'm no longer in the standard frame... Looked as though your were real close to that wind mill ?

Nice a plus army, always good to have spares, I've got one video going over a tree top on a small island, and it looks like I scrape the top, but really didn't ? I've gotten so use to flyin in 2X , that I'm no longer in the standard frame... Looked as though your were real close to that wind mill ?

Yeah, 2x can really give you that close effect, it’s surprising how well it works sometimes.

You're too hard on yourself. There's some great shots here. I particularly liked the train reveal at 1:03+. My only suggestion is to work on your white balance. Before each flight, shoot a white card that is exposed to the sky and lock the white balance. That way all your clips will have the same color balance. I look forward to more videos from you.

You're too hard on yourself. There's some great shots here. I particularly liked the train reveal at 1:03+. My only suggestion is to work on your white balance. Before each flight, shoot a white card that is exposed to the sky and lock the white balance. That way all your clips will have the same color balance. I look forward to more videos from you.

Thank you for the kind words. I definetly need to work on my WB skills. I have locked it in before but then I stopped after the last time I did it. In that instance, I had used a white card to lock it, but was taking video in different angles of my subject matter, with the sun going in and out of clouds, and it really came out bad. One section was really dark and another was completely different. That’s actually happened a couple times so I just stopped doing it. I’m not sure there’s really a solution for that other than waiting to shoot when the conditions are right (wait for clouds to pass for example).

But my editing/coloring needs alot of work for sure.

Thank you for the kind words. I definetly need to work on my WB skills. I have locked it in before but then I stopped after the last time I did it. In that instance, I had used a white card to lock it, but was taking video in different angles of my subject matter, with the sun going in and out of clouds, and it really came out bad. One section was really dark and another was completely different. That’s actually happened a couple times so I just stopped doing it. I’m not sure there’s really a solution for that other than waiting to shoot when the conditions are right (wait for clouds to pass for example).

But my editing/coloring needs alot of work for sure.
White balance is a different setting than exposure. Auto exposure does a pretty good job with transitions from light to dark scenes. But, if you find yourself correcting exposure in post, a manual exposure setting on the camera will be easier to work with. When I fly from a bright area to a dark area, I reset the exposure in flight. You will just cut from one scene to the other in post. White balance will remain locked (unless you switch to photo mode and back).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval