Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fixed Zoom Lens

Reaction score
Anyone thought about swapping out the lens for one that offered a 3-5 X Zoom?
I am NOT talking about a variable zoom but a fixed focus.
We recently had a lost kid in the woods around here (Found him safe and sound), but being that one would have to fly 70-125 feet up to avoid the trees, a bit of zoom could sure help for SAR type work.
Just a thought.

Reactions: DroneClone
A telephoto lens comes with a correspondingly more narrow field of view. I would think you'd want to scan as much of the area as quickly as possible; once you find something of interest you could go lower to get a better view.

Lower is the problem. Most trees around here are a good 50 to 100 feet.
A narrower field would be ok, just have to figure out a search pattern.
Was just a brain fart I had.

Glad you found him

Anyone thought about swapping out the lens for one that offered a 3-5 X Zoom?
I am NOT talking about a variable zoom but a fixed focus.
We recently had a lost kid in the woods around here (Found him safe and sound), but being that one would have to fly 70-125 feet up to avoid the trees, a bit of zoom could sure help for SAR type work.
Just a thought.
Try it out Bob, and let me know how it works my friend !:rolleyes:

Rather then zoom lens this is where the IR camera would come in very handy. Hope yuneec comes out with this option soon.

Reactions: DroneClone
Good thing or else you would be knowing what I was going to type LOL

I heard sometime around Nov. You can add to this as I don't know the answer LOL
On here, believe me, you never know what one will type ! Some of the most amazing things can appear in the swipe of a key pad !:confused:

IR or FLIR would be nice, if I win the LOTTO to pay for it.....
You might be surprised by the price that they can bring it to market at (if they really want to). FLIR has imaging modules that attach to a mobile device (iPhone or Android) called the FLIR ONE, which includes both IR and RGB sensors, which produce a hybrid image. Those modules are only about $250 at retail.

FLIR-ONE-ios-android.png

flir-thermal-imaging-smartphone.jpg

Ya there is a fellow who attached one to his Q500, other than the jello effect from it not being on a gimbal it worked pretty well.

He meant a telephoto with a fixed focal length and magnification. You know that as well, or you wouldn't have taken issue with it.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
The reason company's don't offer a Zoom lens is because of the jello effect. Once you start zooming in any imperfections get magnified times the zoom you have. So if you have jitter or a slight jello and believe me its there, maybe not to you but it is there the zoom will pick it up. There are company's that have zoom cameras for law enforcement and such but way out of the average guys pocketbook. At least mine anyways :)

Not too worried about jello, not looking for hang on the wall quality imagery.
Heck I remember my first digital camera recorded on the 3.5" diskettes and was VGA quality.
And I thought I really had something then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval