Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fixing rubber gimbal dampers....

Reaction score
Is there a good how-to video on the best method for reattaching the gimbal plate to the camera when the rubber bits pop off?

I've not seen one, but if you have not done it before, the easy way normally is to carefully use a small flat tool to pop a small section of the rubber into the housing. Then twist the rubber around and as you twist the rest of the rubber should work it's way into the hole.

I couldn't get the wire wrap method to work and used a small pair of pliers to compress the center section of the rubber grommet and push the end of it through the hole.

Just had my H returned from Gimbal repair and now the gear won't work! Another thread, I know. Meanwhile, I go to take the camera off the H to try to fix the gear issue, and damned if I don't pull out one of the bellows! Curse words flew, and of course I got to this thread. Typhoon Charlie's bread tie method may work well with DJI's gimbal, but it would not work for me on the H. But, he did light the way. First, I applied a very light touch of Vaseline around the edge of the rubber bellow. Then, I used soft cotton twine tied around the lip of the bellow, pushed the string ends together through the base hole, gave it a slight tug, and voila! Popped right back in place.

Thanks for the lead, Charlie!

Although the Vaseline makes it easier to install, it also makes it easier to separate. Next time remove the top cover plate and pinch the outer lip to work it through the hole. It may take a couple tries but it's not hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although the Vaseline makes it easier to install, it also makes it easier to separate. Next time remove the top cover plate and pinch the outer lip to work it through the hole. It may take a couple tries but it's not hard to do.

Good tip... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that using dental floss is the best method, wrap the floss around 1 1/2 times then push through the hole, insert part of the top edge of the rubber and then pull on the floss in a circular motion with light pressure and it will work its way through and smell minty fresh.

Hope this helps

J

Reactions: Dad Attitude
I also use dental floss. Wrap 3 or 4 times then pull through with sideways movement left-right then forward back and it pops in quite quickly. Just a dab of water for lubrication if you feel it needs it as this will dry and not cause problems later.

Reactions: Dad Attitude
As you can tell there are many many different ways of getting these gimbal dampeners back in place none of them requires you to be a PhD in rocket science.

I also use dental floss. Wrap 3 or 4 times then pull through with sideways movement left-right then forward back and it pops in quite quickly. Just a dab of water for lubrication if you feel it needs it as this will dry and not cause problems later.

Dental floss! Of course! Great idea... almost look forward to bellow separation the next time

Suspension gimbals have employed damper balls pretty much since they decided to deal with vibration. Yuneec gimbals are one of the simplest to deal with replacing damper balls out there. It ain’t rocket science and should not be too hard to figure out the damper flange should be compressed to fit through the hole, placing the recessed neck of the ball into the framework and leave the flange resting on the frame. It can be done without any tools at all in less than a minute once the cover cap is removed.

I am disputing Rufus’ claim of three damper balls separating in flight. That cannot happen unless he removed one or both of the “safety pins” installed by the factory to prevent that from happening.

The employment of those two pins was the direct result of experiences of DIY builders learning how to prevent gimbal separation in flight. The pins aren’t there to keep it on in a crash, they are present to prevent in flight separation.

As an old modelflyer I always do a ”before-flight” check on those things that can be a problem in flight, as the motors so they run smoothly without any small grit inside. Or any damage to the props, or the gimbal so I won’t loose it in flight. I don’t use the plastic pins because they are not safe enough. Instead I use a thin 3 mm kevlar rope with knots so it can’t brake loose and fall of. Think of a dogleg with knots in both ends. That’s My safety for keeping My camera.

I use lath screws and (lock nuts inserted upside down), while still using the rubber dampers.
Leaving it just loose enough.
Lath Screw.jpg

Another Yuneec design flaw. One damper came out (no idea why), the wind speed for flying pulled the second one out. The third followed shortly thereafter. I thought it was funny that the customer service/tech folks at Yuneec suggested I view solutions on Youtube to fix the problem. I know there are a lot of Yuneec enthusiasts on this board and I think that's great. I'm not one of them. Besides my Yuneec, I own three other drones manufactured by two different companies. All drones have problems, but in my particular experience, Yuneec has, by far, the most problems.

Let me get this straight. The first dampener separated before, or, during the flight? If you saw it was not in place and took off anyway, that be user error. That the rest would give out under increased load is not a surprise.

But... you called Yuneec to figure out a simple dampener? Folks I know who fly more than one sUAS with stabilized gimbals are pretty familiar with replacing dampeners. It's one one the first things you learn about maintenance.

Let me get this straight. The first dampener separated before, or, during the flight? If you saw it was not in place and took off anyway, that be user error. That the rest would give out under increased load is not a surprise.

But... you called Yuneec to figure out a simple dampener? Folks I know who fly more than one sUAS with stabilized gimbals are pretty familiar with replacing dampeners. It's one one the first things you learn about maintenance.

I appreciate your response.

I appreciate your response Good Time Charlie, but I'm a photographer, not a mechanic. Of course there will be issues with drones and I've done my best to educate myself about things I am able to do and unable to do. I have not had any issues with a gimbal on any of my other drones. Why should dampeners be an issue at all when I don't crash or have hard landings. Engineers call that a design flaw. Before I called Yuneec, I made a few queries on line. This is absolutely not an isolated incident. It's fairly common. They were no help whatsoever. I'm thankful to the guy who posted the Youtube video above. I was having no luck squishing the ends of the dampener and squeezing them into the holes. Finally, you seem to be critical because replacing dampeners is one of the first things to learn. That's simply not true. That's your opinion. I suspect you are far more skilled than me working on your drone, that wouldn't be hard to do, because I don't have many talents in that area. But for you and another post-writer to imply my experiences are not legit because I SHOULD be able to do something that I can't do defeats the purpose of the board. I'm not an expert. I'm on this board to learn. That shouldn't be criticized, or at least I don't think it should.

It's surprising what we can do when we put our minds to it, myself included and reading advice and playing numerous YouTube videos.?

"I know there are a lot of Yuneec enthusiasts on this board and I think that's great. I'm not one of them".

" Besides my Yuneec, I own three other drones manufactured by two different companies. All drones have problems, but in my particular experience, Yuneec has, by far, the most problems."
You have two post and already you're downplaying Yuneec!?
This sounds all to familiar!?
[/QUOTE]

RE Yuneec Typhoon 4K. Hi, you seem like one of the most helpful guys on the board. I don't know how to respond to you without seeming defensive. It's been my experience and why can't that be respected. In some ways, I am no enthusiast, but in other ways, I'm a big enthusiast. There are a dozen good reasons I fly my Yuneec despite the few ideas I've shared here. I love it's speed, video/photos tend to be excellent, the landing gear that rises out of frame and I find my Yuneec to be highly responsive to commands. Overall, it seems very durable. My Yuneec drone is my go-to drone. I have greatly enjoyed my Yuneec for so many reasons, but I've also had problems that I have not experienced with my other drones. I am no troll. I am no Yuneec hater. I'm here to learn.

Reactions: Kylekc239
You have two post and already you're downplaying Yuneec!?
This sounds all to familiar!?

RE Yuneec Typhoon 4K. Hi, you seem like one of the most helpful guys on the board. I don't know how to respond to you without seeming defensive. It's been my experience and why can't that be respected. In some ways, I am no enthusiast, but in other ways, I'm a big enthusiast. There are a dozen good reasons I fly my Yuneec despite the few ideas I've shared here. I love it's speed, video/photos tend to be excellent, the landing gear that rises out of frame and I find my Yuneec to be highly responsive to commands. Overall, it seems very durable. My Yuneec drone is my go-to drone. I have greatly enjoyed my Yuneec for so many reasons, but I've also had problems that I have not experienced with my other drones. I am no troll. I am no Yuneec hater. I'm here to learn.
[/QUOTE]
We're all learning, some know more some less, but no one knows everything, we all help each other, "A problem shared" as they say!

@Rufus,
My apologies, It just gets frustrating at times hearing Yuneec this and that.
I've been flying my H for years and I'm very thankful it's been a dream drone.?
It's like anything else mechanical, it starts with preventive maintenance. (pre and post)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval