Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flight permissions

Reaction score
Just a question about clearance. How do you go about getting an OK to fly across and national battle field. Such and the site of the Battle of New Orleans in Chalmette, LA. There is a rampart and approx. 5 acs. of open field that I would like to fly from one side up to the rampart. But the park ranger said it is a no, no. Not sure who or where I would go to get this flight. It is for a project we are working on about the Battle of New Orleans.

JEAN LAFITTE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK and PRESERVE
(504) 589-3882
Commercial and recreational UAS pilots need permission to operate a UAS within a national park. 3 NM radius MLB stadium or Motor Speedway buffers will become TFRs 1 hour before scheduled games.

Learn more

@AH-1G
Man said it best.
While the FAA does regulate ANY aircraft that fly in USA air space. State and National parks can be declared off limits by local authorities.
So glad these guys are making it so you can obtain proper permission to fly.
I think some of the parks are missing out on making money, they could charge a small fee for a daily permit or something.
I for one would love to drop my H down the Grand Canyon, but last I checked they will not allow any RC aircraft in there. Even the Manned aircraft have to have crazy permits.

Hey Bob, what about some of the side canyons on Havasupai land? Drone tourism could be a biz model. It’s a big spot and not all is park...

Could be,
I was having one of those "I want to do moments" when I looked for more info on the Grand Canyon. I can understand to a point why they restrict RC Aircraft. I still feel they are really missing out on making some side money for the park. I would love to fly there just for the thrill of watching something way below you flying. Always wanted a good shot starting out almost at ground level, fly along and then take the plunge down. Make it look like what you would see if you jumped off the edge.
Of course there is the natural beauty of it all that only a camera born aircraft could capture.

That’s why I think looking to the Navajo or Havasupai tribes for sites and permission may be possible. Reservations are sovereign land and not bound by many of the federal regulations. Arizona is prime flight and photo land and the natural beauty and landscape really make dramatic shots. Glenn Ford knew that as did Ansel Adams. You know he’d have used a drone if it existed in his day. I’ve got a spot I found near Peña Blanca lake that’s a great mini canyon with nice rock faces for morning light and sunsets that I want to do an organized camp out and photo fly during a full moon cycle. I believe it’s an open, legal, and unrestricted spot and I’m working on making sure that’s true before going forward. I’m currently working with the property owner to secure permission to camp and fly on their range land these rock formations are located on.

Craig, great idea. bring along a huge big screen TV for those who would like to see the view from air first hand especially in the morning and evening. Maybe sell the customers drone footage pics of their choosing?

@AH-1G
Man said it best.
While the FAA does regulate ANY aircraft that fly in USA air space. State and National parks can be declared off limits by local authorities.
So glad these guys are making it so you can obtain proper permission to fly.
I think some of the parks are missing out on making money, they could charge a small fee for a daily permit or something.
I for one would love to drop my H down the Grand Canyon, but last I checked they will not allow any RC aircraft in there. Even the Manned aircraft have to have crazy permits.

The government is not in for profit only losses:rolleyes:.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers