Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fly away posssibility today!!

Reaction score
i just checked and KP index in my area is at 6. 2 days ago I had my H fly away on me and (I'm not sure it was totally the reason) it decided to fly away on its own. My heart dropped and I could not believe what was happening. Then it flew to home on low battery thank god!! After calling yuneec (they really should make this more known to everyone), they told me KP index was high and to check up on it before flying. Until yesterday, I've never heard of KP index. Why when this can cause GPS loss and fly aways, do they not mention it to new customers. Just a thought. Anyways, the purpose of this post is I downloaded an app that gives me current KP index and thought I would share. All I did was search for KP index in App Store and downloaded the app called 'solar sphere'. It's free and seems to be an app just to show current KP index, which was perfect for me.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I guess all the new 'professionals' with very little working knowledge or experience are unaware that for years it's been known that solar flares disrupts the earth's magnetic field. When this occurs (and yes the real pros actually check before flights) you do not use GPS aided flights, which means....wait for it....you have to fly manually! Unaided, no GPS, no training wheels.

I guess all the new 'professionals' with very little working knowledge or experience are unaware that for years it's been known that solar flares disrupts the earth's magnetic field. When this occurs (and yes the real pros actually check before flights) you do not use GPS aided flights, which means....wait for it....you have to fly manually! Unaided, no GPS, no training wheels.

New hobbyist, not new professional lol. I'm still learning the system but one small step at a time. I will work on practicing manual mode. As I believe you and do agree it's essential to learn. GPS aided flights (I've learned) can cause fly aways and I don't want that ever to happen again (happened to me yesterday) I just have to learn how to counter the winds when flying I presume which is obviously a lot easier said then done

New hobbyist, not new professional lol. I'm still learning the system but one small step at a time. I will work on practicing manual mode. As I believe you and do agree it's essential to learn. GPS aided flights (I've learned) can cause fly aways and I don't want that ever to happen again (happened to me yesterday) I just have to learn how to counter the winds when flying I presume which is obviously a lot easier said then done

Its all good man I am a ham radio operator and the K A indexes are crucial in our hobby, but I had know clue about it in flying a uav -- I picked that info up here.. I agree that their documentation leaves a bit un covered..

theres a lot of great info when you start studying for your licenses that will help you be a much better pilot, even simple things like how does the air/wind react against a solid wall vs a tree / bush I found out the hard way LOL then when I read about it, it all made sense- Speaking of training wheels, dont use them! The one thing Yuneec does recommend thank goodness is to learn how to fly in angle mode, leave that smart mode switch alone and learn to pilot your UAV :) you will get lots of help here so do not be afraid to ask

I flew yesterday and Magnetology had San Jose at a 5, no issues, today and tomorrow are showing 6

theres a lot of great info when you start studying for your licenses that will help you be a much better pilot, even simple things like how does the air/wind react against a solid wall vs a tree / bush I found out the hard way LOL then when I read about it, it all made sense- Speaking of training wheels, dont use them! The one thing Yuneec does recommend thank goodness is to learn how to fly in angle mode, leave that smart mode switch alone and learn to pilot your UAV :) you will get lots of help here so do not be afraid to ask
It's funny you mention Smart Mode. The H was my first "high tech" drone, so first couple of flights I took off in smart mode to get a feel for it. My ground station launch switch positions are even on my preflight checklist (to make sure nothing flipped during transport. A couple of times when I would launch and do the low hover controls check, I would get annoyed that I left/put the switch in smart mode vs leaving it in angle mode. I need to update my check list! Sorry back on track.

"
It's funny you mention Smart Mode. The H was my first "high tech" drone, so first couple of flights I took off in smart mode to get a feel for it. My ground station launch switch positions are even on my preflight checklist (to make sure nothing flipped during transport. A couple of times when I would launch and do the low hover controls check, I would get annoyed that I left/put the switch in smart mode vs leaving it in angle mode. I need to update my check list! Sorry back on track.
It's called "The 26 Foot Circle of Death" LOL ! :eek:

Reactions: Brian Mackey
That is a nice safety feature but out of habit I would launch a good distance from objects. What was annoying (my fault) was when I would start the flight, it wasn't responding how I anticipated, then doh I forgot the switch

I would be willing to bet that you have a better chance of losing your H flying it without GPS enabled than with GPS enabled. Without GPS it is fast and in the blink of an eye you can lose orientation and all of a sudden it is just gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval