Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flyaway

Yes, you can turn off GPS on a TH. It's a menu item. It takes a couple of seconds to open up the menu and turn off GPS. I had a flyaway where there was simply no time for me to do that. By the time I realized the TH was not responding to the sticks it was too late to turn off GPS. It was already 50 ft up a pine tree.

I replaced the GPS module which also includes the compass and I've not have a problem since but there's no guarantee it won't happen again.

I'm much attentive since then and know I can turn GPS off quicker if needed. In the meantime I take a great deal of care on the first flight of the day. Now I always calibrate the compass and let it sit 13-15 minutes gathering GPS info before the first flight of the day. That seems to have made for smooth flying. Yes, its probably overkill but I'd rather be flying than repairing my drone.
I'm a smoker. I role my own. Whenever I go for a fly with my H480 I always let it stand for at least the duration of a role-up (5 minutes or so) before the first flight, and the full 15 minutes if I've traveled a distance or it's been a while since it's last flight. Incidentally, I often have a role-up between flights but with the aircraft off and no battery in it. This gives the aircraft the opportunity to have a breather between flights and me the calming effect that gasping on the fag has on me.

It looks like I smoke quite allot but I don't. A typical flight day for me usually only consists of running two batteries through an aircraft and only tend to run more batteries through it if a commercial job demands it or on a recreational outing where what I'm filming or taking photographs of are particularly interesting...I've usually gotten what I need or what a client needs after two flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson
Who here can switch out of GPS mode without looking at the screen. How many seconds does it take?

Any RC pilot worth their salt will have their switches memorized and be able to know mostly by feel which switch their hand is at. A few seconds of indecision, hesitation or taking your eyes off the craft can mean the difference between losing control or orientation and maintaining control.

It's understandable why drone manufacturers make GPS mode default (noobs), but if the GPS glitches I want instant access to turn it off. Again though, it's probably made a bit challenging for a reason (noobs).

The H lacks EKF so when there are compass or GPS issues it will tend to lose complete control quite rapidly. It will be interesting if the H Plus is using EKF ala Arducopter.

Who here can switch out of GPS mode without looking at the screen. How many seconds does it take?
Any RC pilot worth their salt will have their switches memorized and be able to know mostly by feel which switch their hand is at. A few seconds of indecision, hesitation or taking your eyes off the craft can mean the difference between losing control or orientation and maintaining control.
It's understandable why drone manufacturers make GPS mode default (noobs), but if the GPS glitches I want instant access to turn it off. Again though, it's probably made a bit challenging for a reason (noobs).
The H lacks EKF so when there are compass or GPS issues it will tend to lose complete control quite rapidly. It will be interesting if the H Plus is using EKF ala Arducopter.
I suspect the H Plus will be similar to the H520. Smart mode is replaced with GPS off.

As a noob I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you’re talking about Extended Kalman Filter.

I’m also going out on a limb to say that my Typhoon H isn’t the only one that doesn’t have GPS on/off on a switch.

As a noob I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you’re talking about Extended Kalman Filter.

I’m also going out on a limb to say that my Typhoon H isn’t the only one that doesn’t have GPS on/off on a switch.
You've been flying for a while now, rdonson. I wouldn't class you as a noob anymore.

Thanks FV. I feel like I’ve still got a lot learn and flight skills to master.
I've a couple of years with the H under my belt and there's still things i'm learning. It's when you don't, or won't, learn that leads to 'trouble at t' mill'.

I started flying about a year ago. It was baby steps and ignorance for a few months until I found this site and some good YouTube videos. I didn’t know any drone pilots nearby that I could learn from. The nearest RC club didn’t seem overly keen on drones.

@Steve Carr has helped immensely with my learning about the technical aspects of the TH. His analysis of a flyaway I had was very educational.

Practic, practice, practice is my approach to flying skills along with learning from my mistakes.

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adanidharavi