Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying local event opportunity

Reaction score
Hi everyone I did search through to find some feedback before posting this but not sure if I just looked up the wrong terms. Anyways ive been given a trail run unique opportunity to fly at my local small oval racetrack by the photo team there as they dont have drones of their own. Now im familiar to a certain degree with all of the FAA laws however there seemed to be some gray areas to this one stating that as long as no form of payment or reward is given that it is okay another stating that you need a waiver and a licensed pilot with you then another stating that flying over any venue with 30,000 people is a no go if I recall correctly honestly reading through made my head spin. I try with every possible effort to obey the regs to a T I would love to participate in this opportunity but would like to do it correctly. I do not have the part 107 license guess I shouldve started with that and told them that id fly for free to gain the skills plus to its a chance to do my hobby also offered to give them the footage free of charge as well if we go through with this. My typhoon H and Mantis Q are both registered with the FAA and the drones are in top shape and I do all my safety checks prior to each flight. Just looking for some feedback as I know you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you

Definitely a no go if flying over people at all. Even with a 107 certification you would have to file for a waiver to fly over people. That requires a lot of fore planning for safety as well as equipping the sUAS with safety equipment incase of power failure or other emergency (parachute, emergency cutoff, etc). Even if done for free, this is in furtherance of a business be it charitable or for profit and would require a certified sUAS Pilot.

Definitely a no go if flying over people at all. Even with a 107 certification you would have to file for a waiver to fly over people. That requires a lot of fore planning for safety as well as equipping the sUAS with safety equipment incase of power failure or other emergency (parachute, emergency cutoff, etc). Even if done for free, this is in furtherance of a business be it charitable or for profit and would require a certified sUAS Pilot.
Thanks for the reply Doom so in terms of flying over people for this that wont be an issue I will actually have a corner where I would be flying from outside the back of the track where no stands or people are and actually getting footage of the race from a distance if that makes sense actually did get to go out and recon the location today and pulled up airmap, b4ufly, and kittyhawk just to verify everything with my proposed flying location was going to be okay and that part is a GO at least.

. . . . . . . Now I'm familiar to a certain degree with all of the FAA laws however there seemed to be some gray areas . . . . . .

The FAA states that without a 107 certification, you can NOT provide any UAV footage (video), or images (stills), to any entity that will use those for monetary use.

Put another way - any use of imagery obtained from a drone for commercial purposes requires a 107. This means with, or without direct reimbursement. A simple way to think of it is like this . . . . "In furtherance of ANY business" as DoomMeister states.

I agree the FAA has made it so hard to understand the rule (even for those of us who are certified) but that is where we are.

Reactions: AZflyer83
The FAA states that without a 107 certification, you can NOT provide any UAV footage (video), or images (stills), to any entity that will use those for monetary use.

Put another way - any use of imagery obtained from a drone for commercial purposes requires a 107. This means with, or without direct reimbursement. A simple way to think of it is like this . . . . "In furtherance of ANY business" as DoomMeister states.

I agree the FAA has made it so hard to understand the rule (even for those of us who are certified) but that is where we are.
Well that I believe answers my question thank you. However on that note if I were to upload to youtube my footage where anyone can view it and I give said phototeam the privileges to that footage what would be the difference other than a very weird loophole as you can actually get paid for Youtube videos. And man the FAA really doesn't make anything easy and I mean I get it there have been many out there who have just done whatever they wanted and totally screwed up the hobby for the ones who try to follow the rules it is what it is I suppose.

You could not fly for free to gain experience as your work would be used commercially afterwards. You could network with a 107 operator to act as Pilot in Command, who allowed you to do the flying. That might well end up as a good experience for both of you, and allow some money to change hands for the activity.

If the sporting event falls beneath a certain number of spectators/participants there is no need for a waiver or FAA permission. Safe flying is absolutely mandatory, so absolutely no flight over people, or close enough to where a failed aircraft could fall into/onto a crowd or person is permissible. You simply cannot control a crowd and must always assume any one of them will do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time.

IMHO, the endeavor is "doable" but you need a 107 operator and a lot of planning for a safe and effective execution. The 107 operator will also want a good drone liability policy, with you listed as an operator.

You could not fly for free to gain experience as your work would be used commercially afterwards. You could network with a 107 operator to act as Pilot in Command, who allowed you to do the flying. That might well end up as a good experience for both of you, and allow some money to change hands for the activity.

If the sporting event falls beneath a certain number of spectators/participants there is no need for a waiver or FAA permission. Safe flying is absolutely mandatory, so absolutely no flight over people, or close enough to where a failed aircraft could fall into/onto a crowd or person is permissible. You simply cannot control a crowd and must always assume any one of them will do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time.

IMHO, the endeavor is "doable" but you need a 107 operator and a lot of planning for a safe and effective execution. The 107 operator will also want a good drone liability policy, with you listed as an operator.
Thank you Pat you know when I threw the idea out there to the photo team money wasnt even a thought to me but I can see why theyd want that regulated to finding a 107 pilot might be fun around here who also likes racing or would be willing to do these events for me what can I say **** the FAA I really to try my best to follow all these rules but I can also certainly see why people would just do it then ask forgiveness later they have made it a royal pain to do anything apologies if I seem a little frustrated but its really irritating to have a passion that can be easily squashed that quickly. Also would be nice if theyd ever make that part 107 license course completely online I mean you can get a whole college degree online but getting a drone pilots license I need to take a proctored exam may seem like I have time but im actually a really busy guy. Again apologies for the rant and thank you and the others for the assistance im really going to have to give some thought on how im going to pursue this as I dont except giving up as an option I believe somewhere in the forums is info on getting a part 107 license.

AZflyer83,

If you are as gung-ho and determined as your comments seem to read, then you should not have any trouble channeling that energy into your endeavor to follow the rules, do things the right way, protect yourself as well as those around you. In other words, take your frustration and turn it into a positive by prepping for the Part 107 exam, and passing it in short order. It can be done!

One option I can suggest: kingschools.com

The sUAS curriculum is provided as a lifetime course. Meaning, you can use it to brush up for future recurrence exams. If the requirements and material changes, so will the course content. At least that was the current promise when I bought in for my recurrence exam. So far, I am enjoying the material much more than when my stubbornness forced me to “go it alone” for my initial exam.

My bet is you should be able to knock out the material in a day or two. Then let it sit for a day or so. Go back and see if it sunk in.

You’ll know when you’re ready for the test. Schedule and go get it.

One more suggestion, just in case: make sure you set up liability insurance, whether on demand or annually. Just don’t leave home without it if you go through with anything such as what you have described.

Good luck, and feel free to let us know how it all works out for you. Sharing experiences help many people who may be contemplating the same thing.

Jeff

AZflyer83,

If you are as gung-ho and determined as your comments seem to read, then you should not have any trouble channeling that energy into your endeavor to follow the rules, do things the right way, protect yourself as well as those around you. In other words, take your frustration and turn it into a positive by prepping for the Part 107 exam, and passing it in short order. It can be done!

The sUAS curriculum is provided as a lifetime course. Meaning, you can use it to brush up for future recurrence exams. If the requirements and material changes, so will the course content. At least that was the current promise when I bought in for my recurrence exam. So far, I am enjoying the material much more than when my stubbornness forced me to “go it alone” for my initial exam.

My bet is you should be able to knock out the material in a day or two. Then let it sit for a day or so. Go back and see if it sunk in.

One more suggestion, just in case: make sure you set up liability insurance, whether on demand or annually. Just don’t leave home without it if you go through with anything such as what you have described.

Good luck, and feel free to let us know how it all works out for you. Sharing experiences help many people who may be contemplating the same thing.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff and I am passionate and if it wasnt for the possibility of turning down something I think id not get another shot at my frustration level wouldnt be as high as up til now ive had absolutely zero need for that license but I will now be studying for it as it appears its just one more thing thats to heavily regulated. Thank you for sharing that site I guess its time to hit the studying and have another certification under my belt. Ive been in the service for 10yrs and figure if I can handle that this should be doable granted it is the book side of things and im more hands on so test arent exactly my strong suit lol. Ill definitely post once I achieve getting the license.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
AZflyer83,

Jeff
Hey Jeff thanks for pointing me to that site just signed up for the Drone pilot license test prep course one question where can I find a testing location.

AZflyer,

If it helps any, the FAA has never made it “easy” to obtain a Pilot certificate. I hold several of them and all required considerable effort and expense to accomplish. They do it as they do to discourage cheating. It’s been pretty well established those that didn’t learn what was needed often killed themselves and others for their lack of knowledge.

Truthfully, the 107 certificate is by far the easiest of the bunch. As with all the others, having to take the test in a controlled environment keeps everyone honest. You either know enough to pass without having “helpers” or you don’t. If you don’t you learn where you need to apply more attention. Ultimately, it works out better that way. For you and everyone else.

AZflyer,

If it helps any, the FAA has never made it “easy” to obtain a Pilot certificate. I hold several of them and all required considerable effort and expense to accomplish. They do it as they do to discourage cheating. It’s been pretty well established those that didn’t learn what was needed often killed themselves and others for their lack of knowledge.

Truthfully, the 107 certificate is by far the easiest of the bunch. As with all the others, having to take the test in a controlled environment keeps everyone honest. You either know enough to pass without having “helpers” or you don’t. If you don’t you learn where you need to apply more attention. Ultimately, it works out better that way. For you and everyone else.
Thats very understandable and now that ive purchased the study material ill go full bore into it and will make the best of the certification once I have it in hand just may require me to turn down an opportunity up front which burns me up but I definitely want to continue to do things the correct way havent slipped up once yet and would like to stay on track with that. I very much appreciate your guys knowledge on these matters and apologies if I was a little worked up earlier not a fan of obstacles holding me back but at least this is one I can overcome in the near future.

The FAA provides a list of testing locations. I don’t have a link handy but a Google search for FAA test locations should provide it.

The FAA provides a list of testing locations. I don’t have a link handy but a Google search for FAA test locations should provide it.
Thanks Pat I was able to find 2 in my area however one isn't currently offering and the other I shot an email to for verification that they still offer.

Not surprising one of the two shut down. There had been two agencies administering the FAA written but one bought out the other a couple years ago with the usual cut back of duplicated operations.

Check the FAA site, UAS section. Unless things have changed recently, we go through a testing service to pay for and schedule the actual test. During that phone call is when a site can be determined as to where you want to go. The testing service should know what is open and available.

Jeff

I found the place right next to Tucson International Airport didn't realize it but ended talking to the President of the company lol really nice guy and they offer the test M-Sat. So I will studying all next week and going to attempt to take the exam on Saturday.

Don’t rush to take the test!!! Be confident you can pass it first. You spend $150.00 every time you take that test. That same confidence and certainty is part of what defines a good commercial pilot. They don’t undertake something because they think they can, they do it because their training and experience has demonstrated they know they can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval