Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying under bridge?

Reaction score
I am new to GPS enabled suas. I have flown smaller quad copiers for a couple of years. What happens when you fly under a bridge? Do you just have to pay more attention to your controls or will the craft go crazy?

Thanks!

You have to fly manually, that's all. In addition there will be an warning on the screen. Since the last update you can also turn on and of the GPS during your flight, same result.

Reactions: Wileytrigger21
I would think you will be fine since the drone is tracking multiple SAT's. There would also be other factors involved, like are you staying under the bridge so that the drone will eventually loose contact with the SAT's or a quick flyby, how wide is the bridge your flying under, stuff like that. The drone is capable of flying with no GPS as you can switch them off in-fact he drone fly's faster with GPS disabled.

It also depends on the width of the bridge. Given the spread-out nature of the GPS satellite constellation, you may not lose lock with enough satellites to lose GPS.

Many people have flown under bridges with no issue. However, a lot depends on the location, size of bridge and the material. Getting too close to a steel bridge can mess up the compass. If there are lots of trees on the banks of smaller spans you might lose GPS as you approach the bridge. If you loiter under the bridge the GPS will drop out for sure. Obviously you have to stay in Angle mode and fly under at a steady speed and direction. When GPS drops out you can encounter some weird behavior much worse than with the GPS turned off. Since you are accustomed to flying without GPS it might be well to turn off the GPS before you go under the bridge. If you've done the latest firmware update you can turn GPS on and off inflight.

Ok. Thanks guys. It's a 4 Lane bridge that spans a creek. I wanted to do a shoot following the creek but wasn't sure it the h would go bonkers and pretend it was a rock. I feel more confident to try now. Will probally play with the GPS off function beforehand.

Ok. Thanks guys. It's a 4 Lane bridge that spans a creek. I wanted to do a shoot following the creek but wasn't sure it the h would go bonkers and pretend it was a rock. I feel more confident to try now. Will probally play with the GPS off function beforehand.

Hey post the video and share with us that would be pretty cool, just fly safe and stay away from the traffic as you might freak the drivers out seeing a drone zip past and under .:D

I've gone under several bridges with no issues, I think you'll be fine as long as you give yourself an ample buffer in case it gains or loses a tad bit of altitude during the run.

It isn't just GPS, but the compass. Large steel structures if flown too close to can cause the compass to go bonkers.

I've flown under both of the bridges in this video at different times. One is a pedestrian bridge and the other is a two way single lane bridge. I've also flown parallel with the larger one (about 2 meters away) and never experienced any issues.

I've flown under both of the bridges in this video at different times. One is a pedestrian bridge and the other is a two way single lane bridge. I've also flown parallel with the larger one (about 2 meters away) and never experienced any issues.

The way the video ended it looked like the Typhoon went in the drink. :) Great images though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval