Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FrankenPhoon is ALIVE! No more Toilet Bowl

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
Those of you who have followed me on my search for the cause and cure of Toilet Bowl will be pleased to know I have the definitive answer. Those of you who don't care are excused, however will not receive credit for the class.

I have been using my PhoenixPhoon (rebuilt crash victim spare H) for testing. First test proved the GPS/Compass board was not the cause, so today I replaced its brain (Flight Controller), did a full calibration, and re-christened it as FrankenPhoon.

Only got one 15 minute test flight in tonight with "Frank" in the failing light, but preliminary results are overwhelmingly promising. Every previous flight of PhoenixPhoon resulted in Toilet Bowl setting in at almost exactly 5 minutes into the flight, suggesting a temperature sensitive component. So I'm calling a 15 minute fault-free flight a huge success. And I'm naming the Flight Controller as the culprit of Toilet Bowl.

So now I am the proud father of two working Hs! Here they are posing nicely together, H Pro on the left and FrankenPhoon on the right.
ScreenHunter_5824 Oct. 31 19.36.jpg

However, no sooner did I turn my back and sibling rivalry touched off a donnybrook!
ScreenHunter_5826 Oct. 31 19.37.jpg

But within a few moments they seemed to have established the pecking order!
ScreenHunter_5825 Oct. 31 19.37.jpg
Now I need to file my formal request to change my user name to Dr. FrankenPhoon! Steve C, are listening?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_5821 Oct. 31 18.54.jpg
    ScreenHunter_5821 Oct. 31 18.54.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 35
  • ScreenHunter_5823 Oct. 31 19.03.jpg
    ScreenHunter_5823 Oct. 31 19.03.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ScreenHunter_5822 Oct. 31 19.03.jpg
    ScreenHunter_5822 Oct. 31 19.03.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 33
And I'm naming the Flight Controller as the culprit of Toilet Bowl.
Congratulations on your discovery and fix. While most TB cases have been fixed with the GPS replacement, not all have been. The FC can certainly cause some unusual problems and that is obviously here.

The Typhoon was briefly known as the Cyclone so your name selection is appropriate. Dr of the Cyclone H (DCH)
So Dr. FrankenPhoon, DCH it is.

Great information for sure! I just purchased a lightly used H and have the same issue. Keep us updated.
I am going to start with the GPS module as the H continually gives me lost GPS warnings as well as TB.
So far I have only tipped over at landing once with no damage.

I am going to start with the GPS module as the H continually gives me lost GPS warnings as well as TB.
Nothing changed at all when I swapped out the GPS module, I even put the suspect module into the good H. TB Stayed with the aircraft regardless of which GPS module I used. TB only went away when I swapped out the FC/Main board.

If swapping the GPS works for your TB please post it here, post either way so we can confirm that the GPS is not the cause of TB. That is pretty much the consensuses with others that have swapped it. ...Don't get your hopes up. :(

Nothing changed at all when I swapped out the GPS module, I even put the suspect module into the good H. TB Stayed with the aircraft regardless of which GPS module I used. TB only went away when I swapped out the FC/Main board.

If swapping the GPS works for your TB please post it here, post either way so we can confirm that the GPS is not the cause of TB. That is pretty much the consensuses with others that have swapped it. ...Don't get your hopes up. :(
Did you also experience the lost GPS warnings as well? I am hoping to at least solve one issue if not the TB. Worst case I have a spare part I guess.
I will let you all know.

I had the same problem with my H. After 5 minutes or so it would begin to toilet bowl and often tip over when trying to land. I sent it to Yuneec in Germany. They didn't replace anything, and it wasn't fixed. (I suspect they only tested it for a couple of minutes) I sent it back, and now see that they have replaced the Flight controller. The weather isn't good for flying, so I haven't tested it yet.

Those of you who have followed me on my search for the cause and cure of Toilet Bowl will be pleased to know I have the definitive answer. Those of you who don't care are excused, however will not receive credit for the class.

I have been using my PhoenixPhoon (rebuilt crash victim spare H) for testing. First test proved the GPS/Compass board was not the cause, so today I replaced its brain (Flight Controller), did a full calibration, and re-christened it as FrankenPhoon.

Only got one 15 minute test flight in tonight with "Frank" in the failing light, but preliminary results are overwhelmingly promising. Every previous flight of PhoenixPhoon resulted in Toilet Bowl setting in at almost exactly 5 minutes into the flight, suggesting a temperature sensitive component. So I'm calling a 15 minute fault-free flight a huge success. And I'm naming the Flight Controller as the culprit of Toilet Bowl.

So now I am the proud father of two working Hs! Here they are posing nicely together, H Pro on the left and FrankenPhoon on the right.
View attachment 12206

However, no sooner did I turn my back and sibling rivalry touched off a donnybrook!
View attachment 12207

But within a few moments they seemed to have established the pecking order!
View attachment 12208
Now I need to file my formal request to change my user name to Dr. FrankenPhoon! Steve C, are listening?
Is the FC on, ( part of), the HUGE main mother board? Or is the FC a separate board somewhere inside?
Thanks, Tom

It's the small rectangular board that plugs into the socket on top the main board.
ScreenHunter_6223 Jan. 27 12.13.jpg
ScreenHunter_6222 Jan. 27 12.13.jpg
ScreenHunter_6221 Jan. 27 12.12.jpg

Did you also experience the lost GPS warnings as well? I am hoping to at least solve one issue if not the TB.
No I didn't. However since TB appears to be an issue with Compass & GPS information not being processed properly in the FC, what you experience may/or may not be a GPS module issue. Since TB is a FC issue, I would skip swapping the GPS and swap the FC first to cure the TB, then see if you still have Sat loss issues. If you already have a replacement GPS then swap it out just to see if the GPS problems persist, nothing to loose but time. My bet is both problems are caused by the FC, but I will be very interested to hear how it works out for you.

Please keep us posted.

Update...
I ordered the GPS and main boards. While waiting on arrival I re calibrated gps facing magnetic North.
No more toilet bowl since. Things are going well and have about 6 flights since the recalibration.

Now I want to add that I now start and land about 20ft/6m away from the st16.

I will update if anything changes.

(at least I have spare parts)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33