Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Frequency of Compass calibrations?

Steve: I understand that the H uses GPS in many ways. RTH, Hovering, etc. However I cannot figure out how it uses its compass information. I have calibrated my compass in my Q500 45 but flew several flights before I did with no problems. So how does the Drone uses compass information? thanks.

Because of the nature of GPS (it's a triangulation system using 3 or 4 or more satellites), it can only tell direction if you are moving, and then only the direction of travel. Even so, there is some latency baked in since it has to move far enough before you can calculate a direction.

The purpose of the compass is to allow the aircraft to always know which way it's facing (something GPS can't do, it's only the direction of travel), and to give information on direction of travel with a reduced latency.

It's not that the compass is redundant to the GPS, it's that the GPS is redundant up the compass for that purpose. It's useful for crosschecking that the direction of travel fits what the compass indicates.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Good explanation @jlummel. It may also play a roll when GPS is lost as far as the accuracy of the Green Arrow, but I have not checked that.

Because of the nature of GPS (it's a triangulation system using 3 or 4 or more satellites), it can only tell direction if you are moving, and then only the direction of travel. Even so, there is some latency baked in since it has to move far enough before you can calculate a direction.

The purpose of the compass is to allow the aircraft to always know which way it's facing (something GPS can't do, it's only the direction of travel), and to give information on direction of travel with a reduced latency.

It's not that the compass is redundant to the GPS, it's that the GPS is redundant up the compass for that purpose. It's useful for crosschecking that the direction of travel fits what the compass indicates.

How does one determine what the "compass indicates" as you stated above.?

How does one determine what the "compass indicates" as you stated above.?

"One" doesn't, that's buried deep inside the flight controller! You typically only get to see that information after it's been processed. It may get logged, I don't know.

Actually for pretty much any drone using GPS for navigation, the GPS is added onto a inertial guidance system. How primitive this guidance system varies with different flight controllers. Smarter ones don't need the GPS to operate for most basic functions like flying to waypoints or hovering in place, but you don't see those that often.

At the risk of over-simplifying how this works, more or less it's using the compass to indicate direction the drone is facing and traveling in, the barometer to indicate height, the accelerometer to indicate speed, and the gyro to indicate inclination relative to the ground.

All of these factors can be determined much quicker and with greater localized accuracy by local sensors built into the flight controller than thru GPS.

BUT in the broader picture of the craft's surroundings, any errors from these sensors (no matter how minor) add up quickly. And this is where GPS comes in, it provides a cross check so if the inertial system 'thinks' it's heading due north at 100ft and going 20mph, any errors can be compensated for.

But because of the latency in the GPS readings, it's always checking what JUST happened, rather than what is happening now (which CAN be detected by the on board sensors).

Realistically GPS is only really used when hovering in place and during autonomous flights. If you are pushing the sticks around, only the gyro and accelerometer are really being used (and maybe the barometer as well), GPS is merely fed back to the pilot's display (and typically ignored) .

So GPS increasing the accuracy and precision of the inertial system is an important use, but not the only one. GPS also provides position in the real world that's outside the flight controller's rather limited concept of the world.

This is where autonomous flight starts getting useful, because the drone can now relate to the physical world.

Interestingly, the RealSense feature actually increases the intelligence of the inertial system, enough even that you shouldn't need GPS for most uses..

Thanks for the explanation. You cleared up a lot of questions I had on this subject.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalomba