Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GCS grounds the drone wherever it is, when connection lost ?

Yes, of course the ST16s controllers for the H+ and 520 are equipped with GPS receivers. It is used primarily for distance display between drone and operator and for dynamic RTH.

Then why is it I need a GPS location on my st16 to enable the "Watch Me" function? And, what is that little satellite icon in the upper right of the st16 TH telemetry display for? In this picture it has a 5 next to it. My belief has been that it indicates number of satellite contacts by the st16 controller.

In attempt to shed light on an answer to the original question; My understanding is that upon prolonged loss of contact with the st16 the TH will return to the last known location of the controller. Of course this also depends on remaining battery power. Please, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

maxresdefault.jpg

Moderator note:

I will be cleaning up this thread. All of the ridiculous comments by RPR will be removed. He appears to be not only clueless regarding the operation of this aircraft but is disrespectful of other members here. One of the hallmarks of this forum is civility. Members who comment in a condescending manner will go on vacation. This also applies to trolling and flaming, all of which are abundant here.

Reactions: 10-8
The ST-16 has been equipped with GPS from day 1 with the H-480. There is no possible way for the ST-16 to acquire its own satellite count without one.

The ST-16s, 520, and H Plus do not use Pixhawk, they use PX-4, which shares many similarities with Pixhawk in their native forms. However, Yuneec does not use either in native form but modified the codes to best suit their design intent.

upon prolonged loss of contact with the st16 the TH will return to the last known location of the controller.
That is correct. However, the time period is very short as in a matter of seconds. If the control signal is regained the aircraft will go into hover and wait for control input from the pilot. It is possible the pilot may not realize the aircraft has reconnected and is in hover. So the best practice is to always switch to Home mode until you are certain the telemetry is accurate. At that point you can interrupt the return home and take control back.

So to recap, if GCS function is ON and connection to RC is permanently lost, H520 should first climb to RTL altitude, then land at last known position of RC, wherever it was.

Has some one tested this ?

Because what troubles me is the "last known position", this position is normally permanently exchanged between drone and RC thus it should be available,
however if at the time the connection is lost, the drone was to query for RC position and had no answer, of course GCS function will just land the drone (or hover) , not knowing where the RC is.

however if at the time the connection is lost, the drone was to query for RC position and had no answer, of course GCS function will just land the drone (or hover) , not knowing where the RC is.
If it is set to return to the ground station then it will do so. The aircraft will store the last known position.
All of the Q and H series aircraft have the automatic return home function on signal loss. That is control signal not video loss. It has been tested many times.
The added feature of the H520 and H Plus allows you to select return to the takeoff point. This is useful if you launch on a shore and then ride in a boat. You never want to use GCS anywhere near water.

Reactions: PatR and Sarah
It's a super-interesting feature that Yuneec has done. Take the case of a long scan-corridor mission. This function becomes interesting as you can start the mission at point A to get it back to end point B. This allows you to make long corridors of several kilometers without being sure that the H520 returns to the starting point.
Because even if the H520 loses the controller signal during the mission, it will continue with the program it will follow.
No need to go back to point A. Just start the mission, get in the car and wait for the H520 at the end of the race and he will reconnect on the radio at the end of the mission to get back to you. (The whole thing is to arrive before the H520 at the end of the mission).
But for this kind of mission, you have to be sure of it.

It's a super-interesting feature that Yuneec has done. Take the case of a long scan-corridor mission. This function becomes interesting as you can start the mission at point A to get it back to end point B. This allows you to make long corridors of several kilometers without being sure that the H520 returns to the starting point.
Because even if the H520 loses the controller signal during the mission, it will continue with the program it will follow.
No need to go back to point A. Just start the mission, get in the car and wait for the H520 at the end of the race and he will reconnect on the radio at the end of the mission to get back to you. (The whole thing is to arrive before the H520 at the end of the mission).
But for this kind of mission, you have to be sure of it.

Very interesting function and that example, with variations, is one of its main objectives. To say bad things there are always many of us, me first, when they do good things you have to say them too :)

That is correct. However, the time period is very short as in a matter of seconds. If the control signal is regained the aircraft will go into hover and wait for control input from the pilot. It is possible the pilot may not realize the aircraft has reconnected and is in hover. So the best practice is to always switch to Home mode until you are certain the telemetry is accurate. At that point you can interrupt the return home and take control back.

In principle the behavior is that, either with permission of connection or surpassing the limits of the Geofence.

Another possibility is to reach very low battery limits, in principle starts an RTL and if not able to reach, once reaching another lower limit makes a Land forced, land wherever it is. This behavior before I could choose in the configuration but Yuneec deactivated the possibility of doing so.

Anyway, when I have a while, I will put a video of what happened to me before yesterday. Running through the mountain because the little orange left me breathless, and remained static in the sky without the possibility of controlling it :mad:

Ah, finally, Arruntus, you had to wait for the summer to finally you make some sport! 17321
A little postCard of Dordogne where the go went well between the two trees:

But the return has almost rubbed the tree:

Last edited:
Reactions: arruntus
Beautiful area, fortunately I too have been in a beautiful and green area, the peaks of Europe :p

Luckily, it has been the only area of the Iberian Peninsula where the heat wave has not affected. I have very little time but I'm going to edit a small video where I show what happened to me when the H520 failed. To laugh for a while at least it will be worth it ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz