Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GCS grounds the drone wherever it is, when connection lost ?

Reaction score
Hello, is it possible that the when RTH is configured to GCS (go to control station) and connection to station is lost the drone just lands wherever it is... ?
Should it instead do something else, if so what should it do ?

Hi Sarah,
are you talking about a Typhoon H+ or a Typhoon H520 ? Just can tell about the possibilities with the H520.There you can choose between landing immediately, hovering till the battery is empty and then landing, or loitering till he gets the signal back in a certain time, otherwise returning back to the groundstation.

Greetings Marc

It concerns H520... function you describe : "landing immediately, hovering till the battery is empty and then landing, or loitering till he gets the signal back in a certain time, otherwise returning back to the groundstation. " is it concerning geofencing ?

talking about this function

And the question is what happens if this function "Return to GCS Position" is on, and ST16s looses connection to drone...
Does it land wherever it is ? or do something else ?

Hi Sarah,
your picture shows the behaviour of the drone in case of activating RTH or activating the RTH ( one of the above described possibilities in case of loosin Connection) in case of loosing connection.

You can choose how the drone should react in case of loosing Connection. This behaviour has nothing to do with the geofencing. In this case you also can choose how the drone should react.

I hope I got your question right and could help you.

Gruss

Marc

Hi Sarah,
your picture shows the behaviour of the drone in case of activating RTH or activating the RTH ( one of the above described possibilities in case of loosin Connection) in case of loosing connection.
You can choose how the drone should react in case of loosing Connection. This behaviour has nothing to do with the geofencing. In this case you also can choose how the drone should react.
I hope I got your question right and could help you.
Gruss
Marc

Is config of behaviour as you described in advanced mode ? I don't see any of theses possibilities in normal mode.

Hi Sarah,

I do not know exactly at the moment, I am not in front of the drone. Try the advance mode, but I think you can normally define the behaviour in case of reaching the limit of the Geofence: I think you can choose between loitering, RTH (behaving as you told the drone exactly like shown in your picture above) and doing nothing (like ignoring the geofence, maybe you get a hint on the st16s and its vibrating).

Ok, I have some meetings today ... will look in this thread today in the evening

Greetings Marc

Hi Sarah,

I do not know exactly at the moment, I am not in front of the drone. Try the advance mode, but I think you can normally define the behaviour in case of reaching the limit of the Geofence: I think you can choose between loitering, RTH (behaving as you told the drone exactly like shown in your picture above) and doing nothing (like ignoring the geofence, maybe you get a hint on the st16s and its vibrating).

Ok, I have some meetings today ... will look in this thread today in the evening

Greetings Marc

Hello Marc thank you for your help, however this function has nothing to do with geofencing.

GSC RTH to RC last know location. This is also called as Dynamic Home Point. The AC constantly sends back coordinates to the RC (the RC doesn’t not have GPS) However I do not know Yuneec’s RTH accuracy, but dynamic RTH is not too dynamic in all sUAS. My advice is to land at the last recorded home point or land manually.

The RC does have a GPS... so when connection lost it comes back to last know location. RTH accuracy is about 50 cm, often less.
Thx @RPR

RC does not have GPS our mobile and or tablet does and RC is dependent of the app to received communication between RC and AC. If you are flying without GPS on your mobile of tablet, the drone itself collects data that’s vital for telemetry and that same data that is written on the SD card both on the drone and inside the RC. It pretty cool how the RC and AC communicates, so your drone can comeback home.

Again, the RC does not have GPS.

The RC on Yuneec has an integrated tablet. see model ST16S

Sorry, RPR to contradict you, but the ST16s does have a GPS chip in the back of the radio a little distant antennas.
While less elaborate than the chip of the H520 but it is normal, the radio is supposed to remain on the ground. Proof by 9, radio turned On, H520 Off, the radio picks up the satellites well, less than the H520, but normal. This is largely enough to send the position of the radio to the 520 for a return to the place of the radio.
This gps also serves the groundstation when you program points on your circuits or a "ROI" for flying on this point (as well as the orbit).
It is not the H520 that will create your point of flight.
This is what has been demonstrated with my "ROI" Manual made on the ground "In Situ". "ROI" that you have to do on the field.
HOW TO: HOW TO USE THE "R.O.I" IN MANUAL FLIGHT

Yes indeed @RPR the RC has a GPS, and it looks like you don't know well this great Yuneec brand.

So if connection with RC is lost, how does the function (see picture above " return to GCS position ") make the drone react ?
  1. It goes and lands to last known position,
  2. Just lands wherever it is,
  3. hovers until re connection, if not back to point 1

Reactions: JackMTaco
will not redemit the radio to give you the chip number.
This excerpt from the latest Yunnec 1.6 manual should suffice:
If this is not the case, you can always request it directly from Yuneec.

Otherwise, how could the st16s display on the screen the map of where you are with your position on the ground (image above where I am (Dordogne).

To answer Sarah, if the system is the same as DJI, if the connection is lost, the H520 will return to the last known point of the radio before the loss of connection so it is not recommended to make great trips. And it will be necessary to resume control of the landing as soon as the reconnection as the H520 will not know the ground under him and moreover the feet will be reassembled for the landing and will not decend automatically like the DJI Inspire.

To answer Sarah, if the system is the same as DJI, if the connection is lost, the H520 will return to the last known point of the radio before the loss of connection so it is not recommended to make great trips. And it will be necessary to resume control of the landing as soon as the reconnection as the H520 will not know the ground under him and moreover the feet will be reassembled for the landing and will not decend automatically like the DJI Inspire.

if not same as dji, if it does not reconnect. How will it react ?

RPR... elaborate on how the Follow Me or Dynamic Return to Home (returning to within 30ft of the RC) function works please. Just for conversation sake.

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval