Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal calibration

For the record, I have read, just cannot remember where or what, that the gimbal calibration process is one where a manual power cycle of the aircraft must be performed by the operator, once the calibration has been deemed to have completed.

I have always power cycled after every calibration if the craft does not do so on its own. Similar to those “restart is required to complete the update.”

Where have I seen that before? [emoji33]

Jeff

I really appreciate the replies and I will definitely post what happens.
The idea of sending the H, ST16 and camera wasn't very appealing to me. But I've had second thoughts. When I received the H pro I found that nothing was bound. It should have been if was checked as a system. Without giving all the details I strongly suspect that a firmware update had been performed and the old data not deleted as specified in the update procedure. As I'm new to this, I'm not sure that there are other system problems that I'm not aware of that they might identify and correct.
UPS is supposed to send me a shipping label today and if the weight specified seems to be the system weight I'll just send it all. Of course 5 minutes from now I might feel very differently.

Try post #10 in this thread where Fred Garvin copied page 45 of the expanded user manual.

The idea of sending the H, ST16 and camera wasn't very appealing to me. But I've had second thoughts. When I received the H pro I found that nothing was bound. It should have been if was checked as a system. Without giving all the details I strongly suspect that a firmware update had been performed and the old data not deleted as specified in the update procedure. As I'm new to this, I'm not sure that there are other system problems that I'm not aware of that they might identify and correct.
UPS is supposed to send me a shipping label today and if the weight specified seems to be the system weight I'll just send it all. Of course 5 minutes from now I might feel very differently.
The label did not arrive yesterday. I had everything packed and ready to go but after reading several last night detailing lengthy delays I had second thoughts. This morning I saw an email with the label and another acknowledging my question as to what should be sent saying that I should "feel free to send all three components."
I replied and rather than trying to paraphrase, here's the text of my reply:
Hi Mitch,
I'd like to hold off on sending in the system for repair. Everything seems to work beautifully except for the occasional tilt which only occurs after a rapid yaw and is easily corrected by a brief yaw in the opposite direction. I was expecting the label to arrive yesterday and had everything packed as requested and ready to go. Last evening I came across a post that indicated there were significant delays in having Yuneec repairs done. As only a calibration was required I expected a one or two day turnaround. Even though I'd like to show off the Typhoon H during the holidays, if you can assure me that a one or two day turnaround can be expected I will send it in.
Several years ago I bought an Epson printer and had a problem within a few weeks. I contacted Epson and after putting a hold on my credit card for the printer cost they sent a replacement. It arrived with a UPS return label included. I boxed the printer with the problem, called UPS, and it was picked up on the same day and when they received the printer the hold was removed.. As the Typhoon H I purchased was refurbished, and I have absolutely no reason to suspect other problems, could a replacement camera be sent after putting a hold for the camera cost on my credit card? It seems as though this would be the least expensive and most expeditious way to go. And it certainly would be the best for me as I'll be able to show off my Typhoon H!
Looking forward to hearing from you and Happy Holidays to you also

I haven't received a reply yet but will post when I do.
I unpacked everything and flew a bit today. I hadn't tried any of the Tasks previously but attempted the POI today. I put the drone above a tall palm which is the highest thing around, followed the on screen instructions and let 'er rip. God, this is a fantastic machine!

Reactions: Raptor1963
^^^ What Pat said.

With the TH sitting on a level surface, in Follow Pan and Pan Global modes, I could turn the Pan Knob in either direction to pan the camera. Returning the knob to the central detent, 0 position, the camera would still continue to move, very, very slowly, (like 1/4 inch in 10 minutes) in the last direction used to pan. Switching to Follow Mode would snap the camera forward and level again, and it will stay there in that mode, but switching back to Follow Pan or Pan Global the camera would start to rotate again.

I verified proper 0 position in Hardware Monitor, calibrated the gimbal according to the Yuneec supplied User Manual. The only change was to slow down the drift to the 1/4 inch in 10 minutes....before it was much faster.....in 10 minutes the camera would be facing backward. Once I did the calibration according to the enhanced manual, not touching anything, powercycling the TH, it no longer drifts to any noticeable degree, at least as long as 1 battery lasts.
Mr. Garvin, where can the extended manual be found? Your feedback was great. I just got my aircraft back, when the weather permits I will test it out.
Merry Christmas to everyone

Mr. Garvin, where can the extended manual be found? Your feedback was great. I just got my aircraft back, when the weather permits I will test it out.
Merry Christmas to everyone

You can also try this one.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-2.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
I have both of those, but the one I use and referenced in my post is the one Doom linked to. I actually printed it and have it in my logbook binder, referring to it often.

I have both of those, but the one I use and referenced in my post is the one Doom linked to. I actually printed it and have it in my logbook binder, referring to it often.

You are a very forward thinking man[emoji106]. Not only did you create a logbook but you included a system manual for use in trouble shooting or system feature instructions when in the field. I can’t imagine the number of people that could have continued flights on days where they had problems and had to return home to read a manual to resolve.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
This is such an interesting blog. I got my H in May and have always wondered if there are things I don't know about yet.

I keep copies of the Yuneec and extended manuals for most of the Yuneec line in pdf files on my phone. The only ones missing are the H520 and H920, which I am not likely to ever own.

I like the idea of using a written log and will find a way to keep one thin enough to store in the top of the TH backpack.

Thanks Pat.

I’ve been logging my flights since 00:00 hours. Based on research here, a few fantastic YouTube channels I found and subscribed to (buelle109 and Jeff Sibelius; these two have AWESOME vids for the TH) I created a system that meets my needs and is FAA compliant.

I got a 1" ring binder with dividers and have the following sections:

1. Pilot Information - This has all my info and aircraft details for each sUAV I own.
2. Flight Logs - Detailed entries for logging flights. I count 1 flight even if using multiple batteries. There's space for up to 8 batteries used in each flight. I'm more concerned with Flight Hours than I am with a "# of flights".
3. Battery Log - A page for each of the 4 batteries. I log starting voltage, ending voltage, flight time and any comments, like IR checks every week.
4. Maintenance/Repair Log - Any repairs or fixes, problems encountered are detailed with a link to the Flight Log where it occurred. There's also a reference in the Flight Log to the Repair Log.
5. Handbook - This is the printed manual....since the FAA requires pilots to have the aircraft handbook, it makes sense to have it on hand for not only that but also for referencing in the field. (note, there's no FAA requirement for this for sUAS)

These are all Word docs, two sided, so I can print them as I need them.

The camera problem has been corrected and the drone is being returned. In case it's of help to anyone here is the text describing the troubleshooting and repair that was thoughtfully provided:

"Powered up camera and was going to re calibrate. During process, received roll motor error. Swapped gimbal board but still was receiving error. Replaced roll motor. Powered back up and now received roll encoder error. Replaced roll encoder but was still receiving error. Unsure what the issue is. Also replaced vertical and horizontal frames during process. Elected to replace camera--recalibrated without issue. Bound camera to drone and tested tilt and pan. All firmware is up to date.
Test flight successful."

I was initially informed that a "thermal calibration" was required and still have no idea what that means. Can anyone explain what is meant by the vertical and horizontal frames?
As a former electronic tech I fully understand the choice to discontinue troubleshooting and opt to replace the camera. I also suspect that somewhere down the road there will be an AhHa! moment that leads to correcting the problem. I know that's been my experience on many occasions. The moment usually happened after a weekend away from the problem and a good night's sleep.

The camera problem has been corrected and the drone is being returned. In case it's of help to anyone here is the text describing the troubleshooting and repair that was thoughtfully provided:

"Powered up camera and was going to re calibrate. During process, received roll motor error. Swapped gimbal board but still was receiving error. Replaced roll motor. Powered back up and now received roll encoder error. Replaced roll encoder but was still receiving error. Unsure what the issue is. Also replaced vertical and horizontal frames during process. Elected to replace camera--recalibrated without issue. Bound camera to drone and tested tilt and pan. All firmware is up to date.
Test flight successful."

I was initially informed that a "thermal calibration" was required and still have no idea what that means. Can anyone explain what is meant by the vertical and horizontal frames?
As a former electronic tech I fully understand the choice to discontinue troubleshooting and opt to replace the camera. I also suspect that somewhere down the road there will be an AhHa! moment that leads to correcting the problem. I know that's been my experience on many occasions. The moment usually happened after a weekend away from the problem and a good night's sleep.
The H is back and all seems well. All went smoothly with the calibrations. I did remove the camera for the compass calibration and wholeheartedly recommend that others do likewise.
When I first heard about the compass calibration I had no idea why this would be important but now I believe I understand its significance. As the magnetic declination is approximately 18 degrees in my area and if the compass was not calibrated and the ST16 commanded it to fly to, say, a gps coordinate due north it would not accurately know which direction to fly. The drone would go where commanded but not without constant corrections.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital