Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal calibration

Reaction score
Would someone be able to write out full instructions on every step ( not the manual, I have that) on all steps for calibrating the Gimbal start to finish?

There are volumes (both written and video'd) of the steps, and they're pretty much all on this forum already. The 'trick' is finding them, did you go through the 'sticky' topics and not find what you are looking for?

Reactions: AJan
There are volumes (both written and video'd) of the steps, and they're pretty much all on this forum already. The 'trick' is finding them, did you go through the 'sticky' topics and not find what you are looking for?
Biggest question is do you restart the Drone when the calibration is finished?

Nope, if you get the successful lights and tones you are good to go.
Thanks. That is what I have been doing for every 5 to 6 CCC. I never had to restart. My H is in for GPS failure and crash repairs. All warrantied. It is back for a 3rd time at KAV for Gimbal issues after you Calibrate and try to fly, the second you use the pan, the gimbal just keeps spinning. Yuneec Tech support told me to not calibrate the Gimbal that it should not be needed??? KAV just told me that they tried several Aircraft and they all do the same thing so just restart the machine? What happens when I fly more CCC and i need to calibrate. I have been getting teh run around for the last few months from support. The also told me they have no supervisors to help. Support has gone up in smoke.

Biggest question is do you restart the Drone when the calibration is finished?
Nope, if you get the successful lights and tones you are good to go.

Actually I do not believe that is correct... the compass and accelerometer calibrations do not require a manual restart, because the H reboots upon completion of those calibrations. The gimbal calibration however does not reboot... so YES, you should manually re-cycle the H off and on, to complete the process.

My thoughts are that after a successful gimbal calibration the camera has established it’s properly set and good to go. Re-starting the aircraft afterwards might negate the previous calibration, although that has never happened with any of my three gimbals.

If a gimbal continues to spin when you cease panning you should check that you have returned the pan knob to the center position. If the gimbal continues to spin after a couple minutes of calibration you should figure there’s a problem. If there’s any problem with a gimbal after start up our first action should be to assure the gimbal switch is at the tip position and the knob centered. If they are and a problem persists a calibration is warranted. Always calibrate a new gimbal after receiving it. Even the instructions tell you to do so.

As you mentioned your aircraft crashed the gimbal might have been damaged in the crash with that damage overlooked during the inspection process.

Reactions: Raptor1963
I had the gimbal drift issue at first. I calibrated according to the “official” user manual.....didn’t help. Then I found the greatly enhanced user manual and it does say to power cycle the TH immediately after calibration finishes. Haven’t had the drift issue since. At least not to a noticeable degree for a battery’s worth.

9BC4179B-6FFC-4079-A544-92CFDBB785F2.jpeg

Actually I do not believe that is correct... the compass and accelerometer calibrations do not require a manual restart, because the H reboots upon completion of those calibrations. The gimbal calibration however does not reboot... so YES, you should manually re-cycle the H off and on, to complete the process.

It's been a while since I did mine and perhaps I got away with it, but if that is what is needed, okay. Good catch.

Last edited:
I had the gimbal drift issue at first. I calibrated according to the “official” user manual.....didn’t help. Then I found the greatly enhanced user manual and it does say to power cycle the TH immediately after calibration finishes. Haven’t had the drift issue since. At least not to a noticeable degree for a battery’s worth.

View attachment 13144
Please pardon my ignorance but I'm new to drones. You experienced Gimbal drift prior to and after calibration until the drone was restarted. What is Gimbal drift?

Usually an uncommanded walk at any speed away from a fixed vertical or horizontal position. With the aircraft sitting still and the gimbal placed in the locked forward state the gimbal rotates or elevates slowly. Also is the situation where the level camera position drifts away from horizontal causing a tilted horizon. Common issues with other brands but extremely rare for Yuneec gimbals.

^^^ What Pat said.

With the TH sitting on a level surface, in Follow Pan and Pan Global modes, I could turn the Pan Knob in either direction to pan the camera. Returning the knob to the central detent, 0 position, the camera would still continue to move, very, very slowly, (like 1/4 inch in 10 minutes) in the last direction used to pan. Switching to Follow Mode would snap the camera forward and level again, and it will stay there in that mode, but switching back to Follow Pan or Pan Global the camera would start to rotate again.

I verified proper 0 position in Hardware Monitor, calibrated the gimbal according to the Yuneec supplied User Manual. The only change was to slow down the drift to the 1/4 inch in 10 minutes....before it was much faster.....in 10 minutes the camera would be facing backward. Once I did the calibration according to the enhanced manual, not touching anything, powercycling the TH, it no longer drifts to any noticeable degree, at least as long as 1 battery lasts.

View attachment 13144
Thank you Mr. Garvin. Very helpful information.

Please pardon my ignorance but I'm new to drones. You experienced Gimbal drift prior to and after calibration until the drone was restarted. What is Gimbal drift?
Since I go it back from the repairs, it would drift realy bad after a Gimbal calibration and then you use the pan option. Even flipping all switches forward would return it to center was another observation. They say it is fixed and it is on it's way home. I will hope for the best.

Thank you for the feed back.

Since I go it back from the repairs, it would drift realy bad after a Gimbal calibration and then you use the pan option. Even flipping all switches forward would return it to center was another observation. They say it is fixed and it is on it's way home. I will hope for the best.

Thank you for the feed back.
Hi Raptor,
My interest in your problem was not strictly academic as I've been unable to complete a gimbal calibration. I've since contacted Yuneec and they said a thermal calibration is required and they want me to send it to KAV.
They sent a Repair Authorization form and it appears to have conflicting instructions. The top section says:
"Please insert this RA into the box before shipping. Please only include your Typhoon H, ST16, and CGO3+ camera. Please do not send any accessories such as batteries, chargers, props, etc. as Yuneec is not liable for any items not returned. Thank you!

Then in the lower section it says:
"As a reminder, please be sure to only include the items for which you have requested repair/return. Yuneec USA will not be responsible for the loss or damage of additional accessories, parts or other components included as part of the return that are not covered under this RMA."

And to further confuse me here's what's listed under Item:
YUNTYHBRUS
Typhoon H RTF in Backpack w/RealSense, ST16, CGO3+,
Wizard, 2 Batteries (US plug

It's only the camera that has a problem so if I go by the lower section I should only send it. But if I follow the upper they want the rest of the stuff.
As you've dealt with them can you provide any guidance?

Hi Raptor,
My interest in your problem was not strictly academic as I've been unable to complete a gimbal calibration. I've since contacted Yuneec and they said a thermal calibration is required and they want me to send it to KAV.
They sent a Repair Authorization form and it appears to have conflicting instructions. The top section says:
"Please insert this RA into the box before shipping. Please only include your Typhoon H, ST16, and CGO3+ camera. Please do not send any accessories such as batteries, chargers, props, etc. as Yuneec is not liable for any items not returned. Thank you!

Then in the lower section it says:
"As a reminder, please be sure to only include the items for which you have requested repair/return. Yuneec USA will not be responsible for the loss or damage of additional accessories, parts or other components included as part of the return that are not covered under this RMA."

And to further confuse me here's what's listed under Item:
YUNTYHBRUS
Typhoon H RTF in Backpack w/RealSense, ST16, CGO3+,
Wizard, 2 Batteries (US plug

It's only the camera that has a problem so if I go by the lower section I should only send it. But if I follow the upper they want the rest of the stuff.
As you've dealt with them can you provide any guidance?

When in doubt, make another call to get clarification.

You don’t want to send the accessories, as stated. What you do not know is whether the H and ST16 are needed, along with the camera, to do a “thermal” calibration.

Never heard of that term or procedure, so please let us know what you find out as well as the final outcome.

Good luck!

Jeff

When in doubt, make another call to get clarification.

You don’t want to send the accessories, as stated. What you do not know is whether the H and ST16 are needed, along with the camera, to do a “thermal” calibration.

Never heard of that term or procedure, so please let us know what you find out as well as the final outcome.

Good luck!

Jeff

I’ll second that motion! I’ve never heard of a thermal calibration except on a CGO-ET camera and that deals with the response of the thermal sensor, not the gimbal.

I can say that being cooped up due to my back surgery I performed the gimbal calibration and ended up with drift afterwards. I repeated the procedure and then power cycled the TH afterward and no longer get gimbal drift.

I would all them. Ask for Brad, really sharp tech. They have a camera lab but they may want check more. They are good folks trying to help us so they would be happy to answer your questions to be clear. Good luck and keep us posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss